Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Malice26

How to record a guitar PROFESSIONALLY?

Professionally is a bit of a strong word to use for this but it'll do. If I am posting this in the wrong section I apologize. Kinda rushing through this post.

Basically I just want to record right from my amp into some kind of software where I can edit in an MP3 as a backing track at a low volume. As you can assume yes it's just for cover videos.

I've got a couple hundred bucks for some good tools to help me get a nice sound but I'd like it to be as cheap as possible, and something a computer illiterate guy could use with ease (lol).

Apologies if I'm being a bit blunt. Thanks for the help in advance though.
Malice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

90% of it is in the mics. A truly professional recording will usually use at least two mikes; a decent dynamic like an SM57 up close and something stupidly expensive like a Neuman U87 back a foot or three. Good mikes are essential because, "shit in, shit out."
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

To record it properly, get a USB mixer/interface and a microphone and stick it on the cab. Most interfaces these days come with some kind of recording software (Cubase LE, Reaper, etc) and some instructions on how to hook everything up and start recording. Check out the Peavey PV6USB, M-Audio Fast Track and the Focusrite Scarlett 8. Microphones have a look at Shure SM57/58, Sennheiser E606 or an AKG D5. All are affordable and sound good. Pick up an XLR/XLR lead and a desk boom mic stand for the cabinet.

To record it professionally, you need to have experience with doing it and the best way to get that experience is just through pure experimentation. You don't need to have a degree in audio engineering to get good sounds in a recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
90% of it is in the mics. A truly professional recording will usually use at least two mikes; a decent dynamic like an SM57 up close and something stupidly expensive like a Neuman U87 back a foot or three. Good mikes are essential because, "shit in, shit out."

Is it not possible to get similar results with an SM57 and multiple recordings in different positions?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice26
Professionally is a bit of a strong word to use for this but it'll do. If I am posting this in the wrong section I apologize. Kinda rushing through this post.

Basically I just want to record right from my amp into some kind of software where I can edit in an MP3 as a backing track at a low volume. As you can assume yes it's just for cover videos.

I've got a couple hundred bucks for some good tools to help me get a nice sound but I'd like it to be as cheap as possible, and something a computer illiterate guy could use with ease (lol).

Apologies if I'm being a bit blunt. Thanks for the help in advance though.

you might be better off in the recording section, and this may get moved there (many do).

there is actually a few ways of going about this. it'd be helpful to know what computer you will use and what amp you have.

first you'll need software. a DAW (digital audio workstation) will allow you to record multiple individual tracks and it'll also allow you to import backing tracks into the software, that way you can mix what you record with the cover song. this also allows you to record you guitar in a manner that lets you sync up with the backing track.

depending on you computer you can get (or already have) a variety of DAW's available. i have used garageband for Mac (it comes with the OS). if you don't have a mac or just wanna try different DAW's then just google 'free DAW' and start searching.

you can technically also download free amp sims, or get free versions (revalver, amplitube, etc) and use a simple line in for guitar tracks.

if you want to use your amp and get a more professional sound then i'd invest in a USB or firewire interface, i use presonus stuff but there are plenty of other good companies like focusrite, mackie, etc.

i'd also get a fairly good microphone like a sm57 (that is what i mainly use), but you can spend a little more and get something like a AT2035 if you want.

if you are only going to record a single track at a time, then you can save some cash on buying an interface and a standard microphone and just buy a USB microphone like one of these http://www.sweetwater.com/c981--USB_Microphones

as far as placing the mic, place it an inch or so from the grille near the center of the speaker. try experimenting with positions if you wanna be picky.

if you are going to play amp with a mic you'd be best served by using headphones so you can cleanly hear what is going on and so your playback won't bleed into the recording mic.

hope that helps

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The first time you use something like a U87 you will slap yourself across the head and say, "so that's what has been missing all these years."
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
The first time you use something like a U87 you will slap yourself across the head and say, "so that's what has been missing all these years."

Well that's the case with most expensive items. I'd love to ditch my Vypyr for and Axe FX 2 right now, but that just isn't possible
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:

You gotta take out a loan to buy it first though.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
You gotta take out a loan to buy it first though.

Indeed. The only time I've ever had the privilege of using one it was one the other guitarist borrowed from the studio he worked at. The difference between that and a dynamic mike (good ones too) is like night and day.
We'd spent a fortune on processors and gadgets trying to sort out the vocals to no avail. Plugged the U87 into the desk and instantly all the issues we were having simply vanished. It was a real eye opener.

Yes, warpig, truly professional equipment costs a lot of money. It's a shit but that's how it is.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-05-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
MatrixClaw
UG God

Meh. The U87 is a good mic, but its only as good as the sum of the parts (ie: mic preamp, converters, and most importantly, the user's experience in micing and mixing techniques). You don't need $2000 mics to get great results, there are hundreds upon thousands of professional studios who are putting out records recorded with just an SM57 on guitars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Example of what a 57 can do.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #12
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

What sort of mickey mouse pro studio doesn't have a U87 (or similar) or three?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #13
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

don't you need a good recording environment or something to go the mic route? i thought he was asking for amps with emulated out, or amp sims, stuff like that.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Oh yeah, for sure. You gotta get the acoustics of the room right. That's an art in itself.

If you are only close miking you can get away with crappier acoustics but if using near and far mikes it matters heaps. If the room has bad acoustics your good condenser "far" mic is going to be picking that up too.
I've seen studios with movable sound baffles for fine tuning the liveliness of the room for different instruments. It's amazing what small changes can have on the room. It's real "gotta see it to believe it" stuff.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-05-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #15
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

Quote:
Oh yeah, for sure. You gotta get the acoustics of the room right. That's an art in itself.

If you are only close miking you can get away with crappier acoustics but if using near and far mikes it matters heaps. If the room has bad acoustics your good condenser "far" mic is going to be picking that up too.
I've seen studios with movable sound baffles for fine tuning the liveliness of the room for different instruments. It's amazing what small changes can have on the room. It's real "gotta see it to believe it" stuff.

ah...so with a budget of a couple hundred dollars, isn't emulation a better option? i'm always baffled when people recommend mics and stuff right off the bat before establishing that there is indeed a decent place to record it with.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Well yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. To do it professionally with mikes on cabs is pretty involved and costly. I was sorta trying to scare him off going down that path. I mean, who the hell can afford a U87 apart from pro studios?
Kemper, AxeFX, maybe a Pod HD. Maybe Derek will chime in about his Kemper. Good software and a nice interface would be the practical and cheap way to get close enough to professional to keep you happy.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-05-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #17
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

I think you guys are over-thinking this too much. He just wants to do some Youtube cover songs and only has a couple hundred to spend. He's not looking to produce a professional EP or an album.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #18
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

If it's clean or simple tone, just use GR or something with an interface/DAW. Will sound fine if you set the tone and levels well.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #19
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

ITT: Someone who thinks you need a U87 to do YouTube covers...

Okay kids, lulz aside, SAffire 6 or Scarlett 2i4 and a SM57 or free amp sims and you're set.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #20
chatterbox272

I'd be going Guitar --> Interface --> Amp Simulator if you just want a good sound for youtube covers. Check out both the interfaces, and the amp sims sticky for help with those.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: