Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Dillonski

Frustration?

Hey everyone,
I've reached a block in my guitar playing. I've been playing for around 3 years and have no got to the point where I feel that I am not improving what so ever. It has now got to the point where I can't be bothered to play but I know I need to. I love to play and learn more about music but no matter how much I practice I feel no progress.

Any tips?
Dillonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

Set the guitar down and listen to some music you normally dont listen to. try transcribing vocal melodies to songs or other instruments. Work on improv and push yourself to do things thats "outsode the box" for you to give you a goal or something to work towards. Go see a good show. Im pretty sure everyone has these musically stagnat points you just need to find some that excites you about music again.
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Aralingh
Intelligent person

You should quit it.

edit:
And then come back later when you feel like it.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Wild_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonski
Hey everyone,
I've reached a block in my guitar playing. I've been playing for around 3 years and have no got to the point where I feel that I am not improving what so ever. It has now got to the point where I can't be bothered to play but I know I need to. I love to play and learn more about music but no matter how much I practice I feel no progress.

Any tips?

join / start a band and create songs It works for me.

Instrumental
Metalcore
Death Metal
80's
Globalized Hoax
Technical Difficulties (Cover)
Wild_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
swave75
Maggot Vest God

I feel you brother. I got to that point myself. Now I hardly play at all. Do you play music with any friends? That may help. I often feel that if I knew someone to goof off with musically that I may not have hit that wall. You can often learn from others you know. Good luck,
swave75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Dillonski

Quote:
Originally Posted by swave75
I feel you brother. I got to that point myself. Now I hardly play at all. Do you play music with any friends? That may help. I often feel that if I knew someone to goof off with musically that I may not have hit that wall. You can often learn from others you know. Good luck,

None of my friends take music seriously. They just play occasionally for fun but I want to be able to make a living off it so I need motivation and will power
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Quote:
None of my friends take music seriously. They just play occasionally for fun but I want to be able to make a living off it so I need motivation and will power

That's not the only thing you'll need.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Any tips?

Realize that you are actually still getting better, even if it's not with the same leaps and bounds that you made when you first started learning.

I'm noticing right now that despite my sporadic (read: shitty) practice schedule, I do improve... even if it's microscopic things like slightly better timing or slightly faster picking. You're not gonna realize just how much you've improved until you sit back and say, "You know, six months ago I couldn't play fast enough to play that part. Now, I can."

You're solidifying what you know so that it doesn't sound amateurish. Even if it's the same A chord you've played a billion times before, it's a better A chord.

'course, it couldn't hurt to grab hold of a good teacher and have him evaluate you in order to suggest where to go from here.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Ali Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
That's not the only thing you'll need.

Exactly. It doesn't work like that mate. Get a teacher. Start over. Master everything.
Ali Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Dillonski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Mac
Exactly. It doesn't work like that mate. Get a teacher. Start over. Master everything.

I have a great teacher who has taken me from nothing to the standard I am now. Me an him are working on developing me further as a musician and a guitarist. I just need motivation to carry on and push through
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Making a living off it needs patience and persistence.
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: