Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Dsioret
A Guitarist In Need

Beginners Rig

Ok, I've done a bit more research since I've last been here, and I have a rig choice.
Guitar choice: Dean Custom 350 fr Transparent Black. The Floyd Rose Bridge was a must, I play every drop tuning there is and I need to stay perfectly in tune when I play. It costs $300, sounds beautiful, looks sturdy, has good reviews, and I just want it. WANT!
Ahem…
Amp choice: Peavey Vypyr 30 watt. This amp was the clear choice for me. Sorry to Line-6 and Blackstar users. I’ve heard that this thing is big, but not to mention loud, which is great for me. My little Fender starter sp-10 cracks like an earthquake when it gets too loud. Plus it has a terrifyingly loud feedback whenever the guitar gets too close to it. I never turn it up above three. The Vypyr has gotten good reviews across the board, and frankly, it’s the best I can afford right now at $200.
Finished rig comes out to $500-$520, accounting for shipping if I decide to buy it online like a crazy person and not get it Guitar Center. Any final thoughts before I lock this choice in?

Dsi.
Dsioret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

You don't want a FR or anytype of tremelo if you change tunings often (they are a bitch). If your really going to change tunings often a hard/stop tail would be best for you.

You should check out the Guitarcenter used gear online. You will get much better guitar and amp for your budget. And I know you have 2 GC's in Jacksonville (I've been to them both) that have diecent selection of used gear.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
JustRooster
Organ Donor

That cheap FR will never stay in tune, ever.

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

I agree about the FR, if you are going to change tunings all the time it's gonna make you miserable. Any little thing you touch will throw the whole thing out of whack.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
dash-rendar

Agreed. Floyds are NOT a good idea for use if you plan on changing tunings a lot. Floyds stay in one tuning and one tuning only, unless it's a flush mounted one (or you plan on blocking it) and you use a D-Tuna, you've got the dropped tuning of whichever standard you use. Fixed bridges are the way to go if you're gonna change tunings a lot. Dean makes some nice fixed bridge/string thru guitars that would suit your needs
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (SD Jazz/Dimebucker)

Amp
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100

Cabinet
Randall RX412

Boss TU-3
Dunlop ZW-45
dash-rendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Dude, I own 2 Deans. I love them. Do not buy a cheap Dean.

There are better guitars under $500 than most of the Deans in that price range. If you really want a Dean, set your budget at $500 minimum.

And a Floyd Rose when you're a 1) beginner and 2) playing in multiple tunings is a bad idea. Most people who play in multiple tunings and use a tremolo of any kind will have a different guitar for each tuning they use. To do otherwise is to ask for nightmares.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
BlackDeath92
Diagnosed "Guitar Nut"!

Rather than a Dean, I would suggest a Jackson DKXT. The string-thru body is much better than an FR for switching back and forth between tunings. Jacksons come with solid tuning keys and stay in tune very well (at least in my experience). The only problem is that it costs about $150 more than the Dean you're looking at, but it's a much better quality instrument.

As for the tuning issue, if you are looking for absolutely perfect tuning, but with the flexibility of constantly changing tunings, put some locking tuners on your next guitar. People seem to forget that Floyds/other tremelo bridges are not the only way to stay in tune!
BlackDeath92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
RndyW0

I agree with what people are saying here about changing tunings. Though if you are keeping stuff like one step down, standard, two steps down and dropping the E string then a Floyd Rose is perfect because you can just drop the fine tuning down. I have 2 guitars with Floyds, one is in standard, the other one step down, I drop the tunings on the low string on each but nothing else.

Biggest bastard to restring ever though, changed strings on 7 of my guitars yesterday, the ones with Floyds took over an hour each to do.
RndyW0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
arabmetallion
shut teh fuk ahp u fagits

i have a cheap ass floyd on my mh-50 (which is roughly in the same price range as the dean you want), it does stay in tune well even with heavy whammy bar abuse however the intonation on this thing is absolute shit 1) because it changes so much within a short period of time 2)adjusting it regularly on a FR is tedious and I break so many high e strings when detuning to the point of extreme frustration. I don't even change my guitar's tuning it's always in E standard. Then again I could be doing something wrong but from my experience at-least I'd avoid the floyd at that price level, sure it's cool to have but it really isn't worth all the trouble you have to go through to maintain it.
but you can hard tail it if you want

my shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
arabmetallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RndyW0
Biggest bastard to restring ever though, changed strings on 7 of my guitars yesterday, the ones with Floyds took over an hour each to do.

Yeah and if you need to do the intonation you can add on another hour.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
Yeah and if you need to do the intonation you can add on another hour.

They do make the FR key which makes setting intonation much easier, but it still takes about 1/2 the time.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Stereohead

Don't go with the cheap Floyd honestly,

I own one, I must admit, it stays in tune pretty well.
However, it takes so much time to change tuning and the intonation is absolutely horrible.
It takes me roughly 2 hours to change from standard to drop C#
I recommend starting with a hard/stop tail
Stereohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
JustRooster
Organ Donor

How about buying a guitar based on feel and quality, not trem and pickups?

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
dash-rendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
How about buying a guitar based on feel and quality, not trem and pickups?

THIS!!!! You sir are a genius!
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (SD Jazz/Dimebucker)

Amp
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100

Cabinet
Randall RX412

Boss TU-3
Dunlop ZW-45
dash-rendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
Dsioret
A Guitarist In Need

Wow. I'm laughing right now, but seriously, you guys are making me feel bad. You do have to understand, I'm only stepping up from a Starcaster Strat Pack. 21 frets, horrible ends, fret buzz on almost every, single, one, horrible trem bridge, the list goes on. All I'm looking for is something just slightly better, just so I can practice more of what I want, and not what I'm limited to right now.

Trust me, I have a feel for a $2700 PRS custom 24 or a Mike Mushok SE Bari.....or even a custom baritone like the two Pete Loeffler has. I had a feel for an $890 Schecter Hellraiser deluxe. I had a feel for a $1470 DBZ Barchetta Eminent.

You see where I'm going with this?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsioret
Wow. I'm laughing right now, but seriously, you guys are making me feel bad. You do have to understand, I'm only stepping up from a Starcaster Strat Pack. 21 frets, horrible ends, fret buzz on almost every, single, one, horrible trem bridge, the list goes on. All I'm looking for is something just slightly better, just so I can practice more of what I want, and not what I'm limited to right now.

Trust me, I have a feel for a $2700 PRS custom 24 or a Mike Mushok SE Bari.....or even a custom baritone like the two Pete Loeffler has. I had a feel for an $890 Schecter Hellraiser deluxe. I had a feel for a $1470 DBZ Barchetta Eminent.

You see where I'm going with this?

If you had your heart set on it you should have just got it, now the seeds of doubt have been sown. I had a FR bridge guitar as my first upgrade (after 5 months of playing) and I didn't make a thread, maybe if I had I'd still be avoiding Floyds like everyone suggests. They aren't hard to set up it just takes longer.

I just had a look at it on Dean's website and it says it has a FR Special which isn't a copy it's the same as an OFR but with zinc alloy saddles and sustain block instead of steel.

Inexpensive guitars and Dean (along with some other brands) aren't liked very much around here so not many people will suggest you buy it. I've got nothing against cheap guitars, short of faulty components there is no reason you can't make any guitar great (in my opinion).
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Dsioret
A Guitarist In Need

Ok…
*Takes a deep breath*
Let’s say I just “happen” to come into some money, say $700 worth. I have my eye on a PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone. It’s a great guitar, and I’d get a baritone before a standard one. I know the Fender Blacktop Baritone Telecaster is pretty good too, but I don’t want to get another fender. This is probably because I have a bad taste in my mouth because of the Starcaster, but I can’t stand the thought of having to be so specific in my selection, even for a quality Fender. I know fender doesn’t make a lot of baritone guitars, and the one they do is a Blacktop, which is fine, but I don’t want to pay for a name. That’s the main reason I’ll never get a Gibson. All I want is a good playing guitar with as little bells and whistles as I can manage. PRS, on the other hand, has a heritage of customization and versatility, and besides that, they play great out of the box anyway. Yeah Fender is a classic and shouldn’t be overlooked, but everybody has a Fender, and everybody says they’re great. Fine, I got that part, but what about, oh I don’t know, 99% of the other guitar population out there? And for that reason, the Mushok, to me, seems like the better buy. Any thoughts on that?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz

The only real knock on PRS is high price...and even there, they're delivering more (on average) than Gibson is. They're fine guitars.

(I almost bought a PRS as my first guitar, but went with a Dean Cadillac instead.)

This model you're talking about should be high quality, feel good in your hands, and deliver a nice rumble. I bet you'd be happy with it.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-07-2012 at 12:38 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
FenrirFangs

Go to a store and try them out. The SE may look really good on paper, but perhaps you don't like the way it sits, or you don't like the neck. Since this is your first rig upgrade, I'll make a random guess and say you've been playing for a year or so. If this is the case, you probably haven't tried that many guitars. If that is so, I suggest you try before you buy so you can get a feel for what you like.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #20
Dsioret
A Guitarist In Need

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirFangs
Go to a store and try them out. The SE may look really good on paper, but perhaps you don't like the way it sits, or you don't like the neck. Since this is your first rig upgrade, I'll make a random guess and say you've been playing for a year or so. If this is the case, you probably haven't tried that many guitars. If that is so, I suggest you try before you buy so you can get a feel for what you like.

I've actually been playing for three and a half years. I'm not a complete newbie to the guitar world, but I just don't have the guitar to go with it yet. You're right though about not trying many different guitars. I've tried many acoustics before, and I'm actually taking a guitar class which requires you to bring your own guitar. So I have a good idea of what tone quality is, good and bad. I've talked to some experienced musicians and true guitar enthusiasts, and I've gotten plenty of varying opinions on these things. I'm glad to say that I've gotten pretty close to the right choice by doing that, and this right now. Three years has taught me how to look at bad and say “not bad”, though. That's the only reason I'm not too keen for the higher end guitars yet. Like I said before, I'm only looking for something slightly better. The Mushok is actually getting close to my dream guitar, but it's still reasonable if I manage to find a steady stream of income from somewhere. In these types of decisions, money is more than everything in my opinion.

Last edited by Dsioret : 11-07-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Rate This Thread: