Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
AndreasBrown

Kaoss Pad or New Guitar?

For a long time I have wanted an Epiphone 345, which costs around 550. However, quite recently I have been considering getting a Kaoss Pad and XY MIDI (which come to more-or-less the same price as the 345) for my current guitar, which is an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra. I can only pick one of the two, for two reasons:
-I don't have the money for both
-It would not be a good idea to install an XY MIDI on a hollow guitar, because there's a good chance it could ruin it, and I wouldn't want to add modern technology to such a classic looking guitar.

I am leaning towards getting the new guitar, as I would be able to use it for everything; not just some songs. I am just asking to see if anybody owns/has used one - or both - of the items, for suggestions and feedback.
AndreasBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

buy the kaoss pad for your current guitar. it'll look silly on a hollowbody.

and a used kp-2 and the xy midi won't run you nearly as much as you think. i assume you're getting it for muse sounds?

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
AndreasBrown

Like the majority of Kaoss Pad owners, I was inspired by Matt Bellamy. I want the Kaoss Pad because it makes some great, unique sounds, and it's generally just so cool. On the other hand, it can only be used for a small variety of music, whereas the new guitar will enhance all types, but I am a huge fan of technology and little gadgets, so the Kaoss Pad draws me straight in.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

yeah i get you. but a kaoss pad and an xy pad is not going to run you 550. check it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Korg-Kaos...=item3a7b5af33a

and a hollowbody is not really the best thing to adapt into a mattocaster. i mean, it can work. but probably best if you throw it in your les paul.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
AndreasBrown

Whoa, whoa, whoa! That's a lot cheaper than I have ever seen. How does the Korg Kaoss Pad 2 differ from the Korg Kaoss Pad 3 - which costs 230.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

matt's always used a kp-2 for the electric bird synth and a couple of others. the kp-3 has more DJing capabilities from what i hear, but a kp-2 will cop matt's squeals just fine. check out my video that i posted a while back of the supermassive haarp kaoss solo:

Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
AndreasBrown

That was amazing! I didn't know you could use it without the XY installed on the guitar. I also have another question: how do you connect the guitar to the Kaoss Pad? Do you need a guitar with two jack sockets - one for the amp and one for the Pad?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

the kaoss pad has a line in, and a headphone out. or it has rca out. you can use it like a pedal that way. however i wouldn't recommend it, as it sucks a lot of tone. my suggestion would be to run it directly into a separate amp or use an a/b/y box to send it alongside your guitar signal.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
AndreasBrown

I do have two amps. One (my main) is a 300 Watt Fender Roc Pro 1000. The other is a tiny beginner's Behringer I got with my first ever electric. Would I be able to use thr Behringer for the Pad?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

yeah. you might have trouble hearing it if your other amp is cranked, but it can definitely work.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
minieme007

KP2 is what Matt uses, it's more of a synth, and the KP3 is more of an effects processor/looper, but it does still have a couple synths. Just thought I'd add that in there
minieme007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: