Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
AeonOptic
Registered User
 
AeonOptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
A Good First Fuzz Pedal?

Hey there. I'm looking to get a decent fuzz pedal, but I'm on a tight budget of from around 30-60.
I'm attracted to buying a Little Big Muff. However, I do not know if this is the best choice as due to my location I am unable to test it in person, or any other fuzz pedal for that matter.
I'm aiming for a Hendrix-esque and/or Tame Impala sounding fuzz.
If it helps, I'm using a Squier Stratocaster, through a Crybaby Wah to a Fender Bullet 15 DSP amp.

Last edited by AeonOptic : 11-05-2012 at 02:03 PM.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage
 
pinheadslts75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
The big box Big Muff sounds better.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Honestly get a new amp. You wont get a very good sound out of that amp reguardless of what pedal you buy. Look for a used Vox VT or Fender Mustang II.

If you have to buy a pedal, look at Joyo, Harley benton (rebranded joyo )and Tonerider
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheadslts75
The big box Big Muff sounds better.

How are the circuits different?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
AeonOptic
Registered User
 
AeonOptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Honestly get a new amp. You wont get a very good sound out of that amp reguardless of what pedal you buy. Look for a used Vox VT or Fender Mustang II.

If you have to buy a pedal, look at Joyo, Harley benton (rebranded joyo )and Tonerider

I happen to own a Mustang II also, but due to its bulk I use the Bullet for practice at the computer, so I keep my pedals down with it until I use the Mustang for group practice. I also find it quite difficult to get a good clean tone on the Mustang. It seems a bit dull on single notes.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
jakeyrotten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Buy a tube amp. I would recc'd the Fender Hot Rod series, since you seem to like Fenders. I play the Hot Rod Deville, 2x12 60W and I get a pretty good range of distorted sounds out of it. It covers everything from light bluesy OD to heavy crunch, my band covers stuff like STP and Queens of the Stone Age and I get compliments about my tone a lot. Dialing in a nice "Purple Haze" tone is pretty easy with the Deville. But tone is really about your hands anyway. Maybe try "scooping" (bass & treble on 11, mids around 3 or 4) the channel on the amp you have, I've seen this work pretty well with Strats if you're going for a punchy tone.

But if you're going for a Hendrix tone, you might wanna try the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, though it's out of your price range. Probably worth it though if you're using a solid state amp.
jakeyrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
AeonOptic
Registered User
 
AeonOptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeyrotten
Buy a tube amp. I would recc'd the Fender Hot Rod series, since you seem to like Fenders. I play the Hot Rod Deville, 2x12 60W and I get a pretty good range of distorted sounds out of it. It covers everything from light bluesy OD to heavy crunch, my band covers stuff like STP and Queens of the Stone Age and I get compliments about my tone a lot. Dialing in a nice "Purple Haze" tone is pretty easy with the Deville. But tone is really about your hands anyway. Maybe try "scooping" (bass & treble on 11, mids around 3 or 4) the channel on the amp you have, I've seen this work pretty well with Strats if you're going for a punchy tone.

But if you're going for a Hendrix tone, you might wanna try the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, though it's out of your price range. Probably worth it though if you're using a solid state amp.

The problem with getting a decent tube amp is I do not have a regular job to get the money to be able to afford one. Though, how much does yours cost?
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
jakeyrotten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonOptic
The problem with getting a decent tube amp is I do not have a regular job to get the money to be able to afford one. Though, how much does yours cost?


I got mine used, I paid $600 I think. Brand-new I think it's like $900, might be less in pounds. They do make a smaller version called the Deluxe that's more affordable. Maybe look into the Fuzz Face, I've seen a few classic-rock guys use it for Hendrix covers with nice results. Maybe you can find one used for cheap. Happy hunting!

Last edited by jakeyrotten : 11-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.
jakeyrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
big muff is probably more modern-sounding, halfway to a distortion, type of fuzz.

No idea what tame impala is, the guardian mentioned them one day which put me off

hendrix is more fuzz face. there are some pedal builders in the UK building fuzz face clones for reasonable money (50 or so), people like madebymike, boostswitch etc. Though- I've never tried them, so I have absolutely no idea if they're any good or not.

You also have mooer- ditto, haven't tried them (yet).

new amp would be a good call, too- on the cheap, something like a vht special 6 or special 6 ultra might be worth a look, or a laney cub (haven't tried it) or something like that. That's still gonna be at least 100 if not closer to 200, though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
AeonOptic
Registered User
 
AeonOptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeyrotten
I got mine used, I paid $600 I think. Brand-new I think it's like $900, might be less in pounds. They do make a smaller version called the Deluxe that's more affordable. Maybe look into the Fuzz Face, I've seen a few classic-rock guys use it for Hendrix covers with nice results. Maybe you can find one used for cheap. Happy hunting!

Thanks!
Would you consider a fuzz face clone to be as good, or not worth it?
@Dave: Tama Impala is an Aussie psychedelic rock band. Quite an important part of the sound of the guitars in their first album is the fuzziness of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jekYAm3fkA#t=3m20s

Last edited by AeonOptic : 11-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist
 
lucky1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
If you're gonna buy new, you should buy both the big muff and fuzz face. Fiddle-faddle around on both pedals for a couple days and then just take/send the one you don't want back. Hell, take 'em both back and buy the one you liked better on the used market
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Green_Ghoul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
get a new amp first, then either get a big muff or a fuzz factory or even a blue box. I have a russia big muff and a blue box and they compliment eachother greatly.
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
jakeyrotten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonOptic
Thanks!
Would you consider a fuzz face clone to be as good, or not worth it?
@Dave: Tama Impala is an Aussie psychedelic rock band. Quite an important part of the sound of the guitars in their first album is the fuzziness of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jekYAm3fkA#t=3m20s



I can't say, I haven't used a Fuzz Face in my own signal path. My experience with it has been hearing other guys use it (with both tube and solid state), with good results. I would try fiddling around with your amp's EQ, put your distortion on 4 or 5, scoop out the mids down to about 4 and roll the bass & treble up to 8 or 9. And put your strat on the bridge pickup. That's a quick baseline setting I use for Hendrix-style stuff. Definately check out the clones they make in the UK, you'll prolly find one in your price range that does the trick.
jakeyrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonOptic
@Dave: Tama Impala is an Aussie psychedelic rock band. Quite an important part of the sound of the guitars in their first album is the fuzziness of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jekYAm3fkA#t=3m20s


i'm not too well up on fuzzes- i'd have said that sounded more like a FF to me than a muff, but i've never actually tried a FF (heard plenty of soundclips, though) and have only tried a muff a couple of times. so probably treat what i'm saying with a pinch of salt, in other words
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
 
NakedInTheRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Straya
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
How are the circuits different?

there are a couple of minor differences. they're documented on kitrae's website.
__________________
Pedalboard Thread Native: The Fuzzy Little Man Peach

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
AeonOptic
Registered User
 
AeonOptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Okay, thanks guys! I think I'll go for a fuzz face when I scrimp up enough to buy it, and look for a decent amp in future. The main problem is lack of regular income, otherwise I'd jump at both!
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
AeonOptic
Registered User
 
AeonOptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Apologies for the double post, but I've been looking at a Joyo (I think it's called) Octave Fuzz. Is it worth getting both a fuzz pedal with octave up and just a normal pedal, or would it be better to keep saving the FF?
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
greeny23
Mechromancer
 
greeny23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
half the joyo pedals come broken so if you wanna take that risk then go for it.
__________________

Cheap Stuff!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
AeonOptic
Registered User
 
AeonOptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Broken as in physically or just not working?
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
greeny23
Mechromancer
 
greeny23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
not working.
__________________

Cheap Stuff!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.