Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
AeonOptic

A Good First Fuzz Pedal?

Hey there. I'm looking to get a decent fuzz pedal, but I'm on a tight budget of from around 30-60.
I'm attracted to buying a Little Big Muff. However, I do not know if this is the best choice as due to my location I am unable to test it in person, or any other fuzz pedal for that matter.
I'm aiming for a Hendrix-esque and/or Tame Impala sounding fuzz.
If it helps, I'm using a Squier Stratocaster, through a Crybaby Wah to a Fender Bullet 15 DSP amp.

Last edited by AeonOptic : 11-05-2012 at 02:03 PM.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

The big box Big Muff sounds better.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Robbgnarly

Honestly get a new amp. You wont get a very good sound out of that amp reguardless of what pedal you buy. Look for a used Vox VT or Fender Mustang II.

If you have to buy a pedal, look at Joyo, Harley benton (rebranded joyo )and Tonerider
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheadslts75
The big box Big Muff sounds better.

How are the circuits different?
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
AeonOptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Honestly get a new amp. You wont get a very good sound out of that amp reguardless of what pedal you buy. Look for a used Vox VT or Fender Mustang II.

If you have to buy a pedal, look at Joyo, Harley benton (rebranded joyo )and Tonerider

I happen to own a Mustang II also, but due to its bulk I use the Bullet for practice at the computer, so I keep my pedals down with it until I use the Mustang for group practice. I also find it quite difficult to get a good clean tone on the Mustang. It seems a bit dull on single notes.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
jakeyrotten

Buy a tube amp. I would recc'd the Fender Hot Rod series, since you seem to like Fenders. I play the Hot Rod Deville, 2x12 60W and I get a pretty good range of distorted sounds out of it. It covers everything from light bluesy OD to heavy crunch, my band covers stuff like STP and Queens of the Stone Age and I get compliments about my tone a lot. Dialing in a nice "Purple Haze" tone is pretty easy with the Deville. But tone is really about your hands anyway. Maybe try "scooping" (bass & treble on 11, mids around 3 or 4) the channel on the amp you have, I've seen this work pretty well with Strats if you're going for a punchy tone.

But if you're going for a Hendrix tone, you might wanna try the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, though it's out of your price range. Probably worth it though if you're using a solid state amp.
jakeyrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
AeonOptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeyrotten
Buy a tube amp. I would recc'd the Fender Hot Rod series, since you seem to like Fenders. I play the Hot Rod Deville, 2x12 60W and I get a pretty good range of distorted sounds out of it. It covers everything from light bluesy OD to heavy crunch, my band covers stuff like STP and Queens of the Stone Age and I get compliments about my tone a lot. Dialing in a nice "Purple Haze" tone is pretty easy with the Deville. But tone is really about your hands anyway. Maybe try "scooping" (bass & treble on 11, mids around 3 or 4) the channel on the amp you have, I've seen this work pretty well with Strats if you're going for a punchy tone.

But if you're going for a Hendrix tone, you might wanna try the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, though it's out of your price range. Probably worth it though if you're using a solid state amp.

The problem with getting a decent tube amp is I do not have a regular job to get the money to be able to afford one. Though, how much does yours cost?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
jakeyrotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonOptic
The problem with getting a decent tube amp is I do not have a regular job to get the money to be able to afford one. Though, how much does yours cost?

I got mine used, I paid $600 I think. Brand-new I think it's like $900, might be less in pounds. They do make a smaller version called the Deluxe that's more affordable. Maybe look into the Fuzz Face, I've seen a few classic-rock guys use it for Hendrix covers with nice results. Maybe you can find one used for cheap. Happy hunting!

Last edited by jakeyrotten : 11-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

big muff is probably more modern-sounding, halfway to a distortion, type of fuzz.

No idea what tame impala is, the guardian mentioned them one day which put me off

hendrix is more fuzz face. there are some pedal builders in the UK building fuzz face clones for reasonable money (50 or so), people like madebymike, boostswitch etc. Though- I've never tried them, so I have absolutely no idea if they're any good or not.

You also have mooer- ditto, haven't tried them (yet).

new amp would be a good call, too- on the cheap, something like a vht special 6 or special 6 ultra might be worth a look, or a laney cub (haven't tried it) or something like that. That's still gonna be at least 100 if not closer to 200, though.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
AeonOptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeyrotten
I got mine used, I paid $600 I think. Brand-new I think it's like $900, might be less in pounds. They do make a smaller version called the Deluxe that's more affordable. Maybe look into the Fuzz Face, I've seen a few classic-rock guys use it for Hendrix covers with nice results. Maybe you can find one used for cheap. Happy hunting!

Thanks!
Would you consider a fuzz face clone to be as good, or not worth it?
@Dave: Tama Impala is an Aussie psychedelic rock band. Quite an important part of the sound of the guitars in their first album is the fuzziness of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jekYAm3fkA#t=3m20s

Last edited by AeonOptic : 11-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

If you're gonna buy new, you should buy both the big muff and fuzz face. Fiddle-faddle around on both pedals for a couple days and then just take/send the one you don't want back. Hell, take 'em both back and buy the one you liked better on the used market
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Green_Ghoul

get a new amp first, then either get a big muff or a fuzz factory or even a blue box. I have a russia big muff and a blue box and they compliment eachother greatly.
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
jakeyrotten

Quote:
Thanks!
Would you consider a fuzz face clone to be as good, or not worth it?
@Dave: Tama Impala is an Aussie psychedelic rock band. Quite an important part of the sound of the guitars in their first album is the fuzziness of it.

I can't say, I haven't used a Fuzz Face in my own signal path. My experience with it has been hearing other guys use it (with both tube and solid state), with good results. I would try fiddling around with your amp's EQ, put your distortion on 4 or 5, scoop out the mids down to about 4 and roll the bass & treble up to 8 or 9. And put your strat on the bridge pickup. That's a quick baseline setting I use for Hendrix-style stuff. Definately check out the clones they make in the UK, you'll prolly find one in your price range that does the trick.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

i'm not too well up on fuzzes- i'd have said that sounded more like a FF to me than a muff, but i've never actually tried a FF (heard plenty of soundclips, though) and have only tried a muff a couple of times. so probably treat what i'm saying with a pinch of salt, in other words

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
How are the circuits different?

there are a couple of minor differences. they're documented on kitrae's website.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
AeonOptic

Okay, thanks guys! I think I'll go for a fuzz face when I scrimp up enough to buy it, and look for a decent amp in future. The main problem is lack of regular income, otherwise I'd jump at both!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
AeonOptic

Apologies for the double post, but I've been looking at a Joyo (I think it's called) Octave Fuzz. Is it worth getting both a fuzz pedal with octave up and just a normal pedal, or would it be better to keep saving the FF?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
greeny23
Mechromancer

half the joyo pedals come broken so if you wanna take that risk then go for it.

Cheap Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
AeonOptic

Broken as in physically or just not working?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
greeny23
Mechromancer

not working.

Cheap Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: