User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Cnkahler

Guitar recommendations - death metal

Hey all,
I've been looking for a new guitar lately and I'm trying to choose between brands. I'm playing death metal, so I'm looking for something with a bit of bite to it. I like Jacksons and I hear they're good quality-wise. I've played a few before in-store and they felt pretty sturdy and well-made.
I'm really interested in the Jackson WRMG. I love the look and its setup seems pretty solid. Alternatively, I've seen the Ibanez Xiphos but I'm not real sold on Ibanez. I haven't played many but the ones I've been around don't seem quite as high; maybe it's just my experience.

Another idea is the B. C. Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth, but for around the same price as the WRMG its got one less pickup; however it's a DiMarzio X2N. I like the look of the Stealth body and as a fan of Death, it's hard to ignore this guitar. I like Chuck's sound, however I don't know much about B. C. Rich's quality.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Any other recommendations or advice about the guitars I mentioned would be appreciated!
Cnkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

BC Riches in that price range aren't all that great, and the X2N is the worst aftermarket pickup i have owned.

i play doom/sludge on a Gibson SG, works amazingly well.

you can play whatever genre on pretty much anything. 'metal' is a genre of music, not a type of guitar.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
rjaylaf
I dunno :(

jacksons are sweet, ibanez make some nice guitars but i don't like their necks, not bc rich ever. check out ESP or Schecter.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
rjaylaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Noobs - if you want real 'Which Guitar' help please provide the following:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice and all but chances are people won't read it word for word and will skip over looking for these 6 things I listed.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
Captive_Honor

http://www.charvel.com/guitars//sea...rtno=2931410503

Newer Charvels aren't half bad. The Charvel star is an interesting looking one. I haven't tried that model myself but I have played a few of the other new models (les paul style) they have out and I really like them.
Captive_Honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
Cnkahler

Budget? - I'd rather top it off around $1k, since money's a bit tight.

Favorite Artists? - Death, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Obituary

Preferences? - Not terribly picky about shapes, although I like more edgy looks (Rhoads, Warrior, Ibanez's X series, etc.) I'd like to be able to get around the neck comfortably - not too thick. Additionally, I'd like to be able to access the higher frets easily.

Pickups? - I don't mind active pickups although it might be nice not having to worry about batteries. I think I'd also rather have humbuckers than single coils.

New or Used? - If the guitar isn't in bad shape or chipped, I'd consider used. Although I'm a bit more partial to new overall.

Location? - I go to school in PA, not too far from Harrisburg. Home would be southern Connecticut.

Current Gear? - I've been playing on a Fender Squier from what I assume was my cousin's starter as well as a Crestline Les Paul copy my dad bought from a yard sale. I don't know much about it; might be 60-70's. It's nice, although a bit dinged up and the side of the body has a bit of a crack in it.
As for amps, I've got an old Peavey Citation Mark IV at home and a Fender Frontman 15G in my dorm room, which I think came with the Squier.
I also use a RP255 processor, which was a gift. I've been tinkering around with the sounds on it, but I haven't used any other pedal or effects.

Last edited by Cnkahler : 04-23-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Cnkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Ericthegreat

I would look into a schecter c-1 fr, tho I have had quite a fret problems with frets being a bit unlevel but people seem to tell me that buzz(yes through the amp) on the low e is normal unless you pay for a fret level, but other then that id try one, cause I think the tone is great. Also there are the ltd 1000 series(i think they got thinner necks the schecter one is a little thick) stuff idk much about tho. Theres also that new schecter hellraiser extreme(neck through) comming soon, but its gonna have a satin(non gloss) finish that i dont prefer but I havnt seen one in real life yet.

EDIT: Idk much at all about the Peavey Citation Mark IV, but that frontman, I got one, and mine at least has this horrid buzzing going on.

Edit 2: if you like the sound of actives, then dont worry about batterys lol.... Now I guess if your gonna play live you would always want a new one(you can tell the diff in a new battery a bit I think but im prob just over thinking it and its the same), but if your gonna play live a 9 volt don't cost much....

Last edited by Ericthegreat : 04-23-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Ericthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
stealstrings
UG's rocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
BC Riches in that price range aren't all that great, and the X2N is the worst aftermarket pickup i have owned.

i play doom/sludge on a Gibson SG, works amazingly well.

you can play whatever genre on pretty much anything. 'metal' is a genre of music, not a type of guitar.

This. I play metalcore/melodic death metal on a squier strat.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Dunkelheit-164

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup

But have you played the Chuck sig guitar?
I did once, in a shop, and it was a beast.
Also the qualities of a pickup depend on guitar, amp, playing style and whatnot.
I for instance quite like the X2N in my Agile.

TS, try as much guitars as possible
Dunkelheit-164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
JNBloomy

Look at a Les paul with EMGs

https://soundcloud.com/james-bloomfield-1/prog-backing
Need a vocalist to record some vocals for this! ^ ^ ^
JNBloomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
Harmonius
Impulsive Dreamer

Try the Framus Range if you can get your hands on one.

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題

Harmonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
decadence5423

If you're looking to spend under 1k I would go with a Jackson. The sound from the bands Death and Suffocation are very different, but pretty much any mid range Jackson will give you the sound ability to play either style. Currently Jackson's mid range guitars is the X series, which I cannot vouch for because I have not tried them, but I suspect they are decent.

Honestly, I would lean more towards a used guitar for your price range. You're going to get so much more for your money. If you're patient you can get a used USA Jackson in you're price range.
decadence5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnkahler
Budget? - I'd rather top it off around $1k, since money's a bit tight.

Favorite Artists? - Death, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Obituary

Preferences? - Not terribly picky about shapes, although I like more edgy looks (Rhoads, Warrior, Ibanez's X series, etc.) I'd like to be able to get around the neck comfortably - not too thick. Additionally, I'd like to be able to access the higher frets easily.

Pickups? - I don't mind active pickups although it might be nice not having to worry about batteries. I think I'd also rather have humbuckers than single coils.

New or Used? - If the guitar isn't in bad shape or chipped, I'd consider used. Although I'm a bit more partial to new overall.

My first recommendation would be to get an Ibanez S420 and replace the pups. I dunno what you would want as far as specific pickups go, so I'd recommend either a Seymour Duncan SH-4/SH-2 combo or a Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire combo. There are a couple of things you might not like about the S420, the first of which that comes to mind is the bridge can be a bitch to set up properly the first time. That, and it's a superstrat shape (though it's a nice looking guitar utterly regardless). Total, that'll run you something like $800 if you manage to get skinned on everything.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

If you want a Jackson, I would go for this http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/msg/2972602248.html

See if you can talk the guy down a bit, $350 would be a cool price for that.

I would spend the rest of your budget on a good amp. I don't see anything particularly good with a quick glance at your CL, but if you can use ebay, pick up a Peavey XXX. Suffocation uses them, they can get a good DM tone.

That is, if volume isn't an issue. If volume is an issue, get something like a Peavey Vypyr Tube, or a Line 6 POD HD with some good speakers.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i have owned three jacksons. my old DKMGT was a nice guitar. one DXMG i owned the tremolo sucked. the other jackson i had was an older model and was pretty nice. i would recommend a DKMG/DKMGT if you don't want the tremolo.

however i like my ibanez's way more than i ever liked any of my jacksons. (2570EVSL and 3550MZ, which are more expensive but a lower end model 1550 is cheaper and still better than a DKMG/DKMGT. however the 1550 you would probably want to change the pickups.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
helenskoii

Well, your instrument range is pretty wide. If you have more than enough money to blow on a luxury guitar, I strongly suggest Ran guitars (www.ranguitars.com) or Daemoness guitars (www.daemonessguitars.co.uk). They're fully customizable to your guitar needs, even to the tiniest detail in hardware and style. However, they cost quite a bit of coin. If you don't have the money for a luxury metal guitar, then I suggest Ibanez or ESP. I own an ESP LTD MH53 (Pretty nice sounding), ESP LTD MH 1000 (Very nice), ESP LTD JH 200DC (Not too shabby, looks great, Kahler bridge is fun), and an Ibanez Xiphos (Also not too shabby!). I also owned two Jacksons (sold because I didn't like them) two B.C. Rich's (sold, not all that great sounding), and a Dean Razorback (Has its moments). So out of all my guitar experience, I strongly suggest Ran, Daemoness, Ibanez and ESP.
helenskoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnkahler
I've seen the Ibanez Xiphos but I'm not real sold on Ibanez. I haven't played many but the ones I've been around don't seem quite as high; maybe it's just my experience.

I'm not sure what you mean by "high". However, in terms of quality, Ibanezes will be higher quality than most brands. They're one of the few foreign brands that can compete with/outshine American made guitars in terms of quality. By the way, I assume you mean the Xiphos XP300FX, right?

The only thing I'd recommend -- no matter what guitar you ultimately buy -- is that you change from the stock 009-046 guage strings to something like 11-60 or 11-56. Since you want to play Death Metal, I assume you're going to be using a drop tuning. As a result, you definitely want thicker strings to better handle those lower tunings. Also, have the store set up the truss rod & bridge for Drop C (or whatever tuning you prefer). They should be able to do that when you buy it.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #18
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelheit-164
But have you played the Chuck sig guitar?
I did once, in a shop, and it was a beast.
Also the qualities of a pickup depend on guitar, amp, playing style and whatnot.
I for instance quite like the X2N in my Agile.

TS, try as much guitars as possible

no but i have played enough BC riches to know quality and i haven't heard anything different in the last year or so being here and several years ever exclaming "OMG BC rich totally changed they are way better now from a group of people. news travels fast on here.

and funny enough i have seen Morbid Angel, Obiturary, and suffication. quite a few years ago though. great bands. i honestly didn't like Death, but acknowledge his ability.

the thing is that BC rich don't make good guitars, or at least i haven't seen one.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #19
Something2k12

Schecter Hellraiser.

As for actives and batteries: They can last 6 months to a year and all you gotta do is keep a spare battery in your case... really no biggie...
Something2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
Dyslexic

The ESP LTD H-1001 is a REALLY nice guitar. Around $800, and well worth it in my opinion. Active pickups, Floyd Rose 1000 series trem. Which is a knockoff of the Original Floyd Rose. But it's a sturdy one. Not sure if you want a Floyd Rose though. If not, they make a non trem version too.
Dyslexic is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: