Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
samuraigoomba

Ibanez RG470, 570 or Prestige?

How are these guitars? Is there a big difference in quality between the 470s and 570s? Are they all made in Japan? I ask because I was looking at used Ibanez guitars and there didn't seem to be much difference between them in price. An RG570 is around $350, an RG470 is about $200 and a Prestige is about $425. So there's enough variation in price that it would be good to know more about the individual guitars, but I was wondering if the difference in quality between a Prestige and RG470 is worth the several hundred extra you pay.

Also curious if there's any difference in the neck width or quality of the trem system. Btw this is the prestige I was looking at:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...046-i2407085.gc

Oh, and how well do Ibanez guitars stay in tune? It doesn't look like they all have locking tuners. Basically, I don't know anything about Ibanez except the guitars look good, sound good and are usually made in Japan by pros.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

470 is normally made in japan but there might be a few years where it wasn't

i'd say 570 on the basis that it has a better trem. that's the main thing to staying in tune and sounding good and being able to do all the floyd tricks effortlessly. the 470 is a good guitar (i have one), but the bad trem is its achilles heel.

EDIT: if the guitar has a floyd it doesn't need locking tuners, it's the locking nut which clamps the string. a locking nut will keep you in tune better than locking tuners.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
grungelive72

As far as I know, today, only Prestige models are MIJ. And Prestige models are miles ahead of the other Ibanez guitars in terms of build quality, quality of the wood used, and attention to detail. Those Japs know what they're doing.

Regardless of whichever Ibby you get, you'll probably want new pickups, so factor that in to your decision. And most Ibanez guitars have locking tremolos and they basically never go out of tune when they're set up right.
Ibanez RGT42 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez AEG10E Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe w/ Celestion Vintage 30
grungelive72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Generally, as long as it is made in Japan and had an Edge, Lo-Pro, Edge Pro Edge Zero or ZR, you're good.

That being said, there are some great (mostly early-mid 90's) Korean made Ibanez's out there that are just as good as their Japanese counterparts, most notably the old S and RG4xx models.

Honestly, if it where up to me, I wouldn't bother with anything made after 2006 or so. The quality just isn't what it used to be, and there is really no reason to pay today's crazy prices on new guitars when you can find better (older) ones used for half the price on eBay and craigslist. If you can find one of those late 80's to early 2000s Ibanez's in good shape online, jump on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
samuraigoomba

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...734-i2648927.gc

Do you guys think places like guitar center can be trusted to accurately post whether or not a guitar was made in japan? It looks like online sellers are charging more for their MIJ Ibanez guitars than places like GC. A decent RG470 from 1999 (MIJ) on ebay is about $350, and I'd really rather find a used RG570 in that price range if I can.

I really wish guitar center gave date of manufacture for their used stock.

Edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-RG-4...=item232435d9b1 An example of an ebay MIJ ibanez that seems pretty okay (imo), except it's a 470.

Last edited by samuraigoomba : 11-05-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

link doesn't work (maybe because i'm not in the US, those GC links never seem to work for me)

i'd be wary

best thing to do is ask for a pic of the back of the headstock. you can tell from the "made in japan" stamp and the serial number (should start with an "F" if it's japanese-made).

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Rickshaw Jah
Banned

If you can't get headstock photos just ask GC by phone or email about the origin.
470- nice bodies, rg550/570 necks, cheap ass bridge.
570- nice body, nice neck, good bridges
1570- a new 570 with the word prestige on it.
Rickshaw Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
samuraigoomba

I sent a couple of messages to the folks at GC, then realized the prestige I was looking at appears to be a 7-string. In my defense, the pictures GC provides are absolutely tiny.

So, what do you recommend to replace the pups on a 570 for someone who doesn't want to play only metal? I don't really know anything about upgrading pickups, my other guitars either came with good pups or came with awful pups but were too cheap to be worth upgrading. I don't know what kind of passives would be good for an Ibanez.

Edit: I discovered a line called the "Jem Junior." I'm going to assume this is a cheap korean knock-off of a real jem, but if they're really great guitars, let me know. It would be cool to own a jem for $400... But I'm very suspicious.

Last edited by samuraigoomba : 11-06-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickshaw Jah
470- nice bodies, rg550/570 necks, cheap ass bridge.

Cheap ass bridge!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !

What. All of my what. ALL of my what.

It has an original Edge.

Y'know who uses those? Steve Vai.

Y'know who abuses them? Steve Vai.

Also, on the pickup change, Dimarzios LOVE Ibanez guitars.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500

Last edited by jeleopard : 11-06-2012 at 12:20 AM.
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
randomnoteshred

The RG470 was MIJ for years 1993-94, made in Korea for years 1994-1999, and MIJ for years 1998-2004, so it can be confusing. The MIJ have the Lo-TRS I and the MIK have the Lo-TRS II.

RG570 was always MIJ.

The RG470 has a slightly thicker neck (still thin), and the trem is not as good as the RG570. Lo-TRS (RG470) vs. Edge (RG570). Otherwise there is almost no difference.

The Prestige in your link looks like a 7 string.

I would check out the Ibanez wiki for info on the models, it has all the specs, and where they are made. I've been recently shopping for an Ibanez and all the info is out there and it's really easier to search for it than to ask on a forum.

I would look for an RG570 but still consider the MIJ RG470. Good luck.

Last edited by randomnoteshred : 11-06-2012 at 01:14 AM.
randomnoteshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

What neck heel does the 570 have? The 470 has a square heel, so I'd probably get the 570 if it has the AANJ.

And "Prestige" is just what Ibanez started to call their MIJ guitars. All MIJ Ibbies are technically a Prestige model. Personally I won't buy and Ibanez that has the old style locking nut screws(through the neck) and that doesn't have a 5-piece neck. The AANJ is also something I look for, but is practically guaranteed with any 5-piece neck model anyway(except for my RG770DX reissue. Damn you Ibanez )
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
randomnoteshred

470 also has the AANJ.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomnoteshred
470 also has the AANJ.

I didn't realize they made them after 1993. If it's pre-94, it has a square neck heel.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
randomnoteshred

It's the same with the RG570, early ones have the square, later ones have the AANJ.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomnoteshred
It's the same with the RG570, early ones have the square, later ones have the AANJ.

I know, that's why I said IF the 570 has an AANJ.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #16
samuraigoomba

Yeah, an AANJ is an absolute must-have on any bolt-on Ibanez I get. I'm not buying another guitar with a square. Blegh. I've managed to find both 570s and 470s with AANJ. I've heard Ibanez necks have more space between the strings than some other brands. If that's true, it could be very good for my fat fingers.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Rickshaw Jah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
Cheap ass bridge!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !

What. All of my what. ALL of my what.

It has an original Edge.

Y'know who uses those? Steve Vai.

Y'know who abuses them? Steve Vai.

Also, on the pickup change, Dimarzios LOVE Ibanez guitars.

2 years out of 12 in production with a decent bridge and you make it sound like I'm insane. 10/12 years with lo trs/trs2 = overall shit bridges.

Y'know who also was a fan of and hugely supported the Edge 3? Steve Vai. :P
Rickshaw Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
DarthV

I'd go for the 570 or 1570. I find that my 1570 might be the best playing of all my guitars. Too bad Ibanez messed up the pickup route depth on the 08 models. If you're looking to put in some mid-high output pickups, make sure that you don't have an 08 or that the replacement pups are under 22 or 23mm tall Crunch Lab & Liquifire are too tall. That reminds me, need to order a short leg nailbomb :P
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickshaw Jah
2 years out of 12 in production with a decent bridge and you make it sound like I'm insane. 10/12 years with lo trs/trs2 = overall shit bridges.

Y'know who also was a fan of and hugely supported the Edge 3? Steve Vai. :P

was ;P

And he is more or less owned by Ibanez, but he can still choose to put what he wants on his guitars.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #20
stonyman65
Unregistered User

To clarify, Ibanez stopped using the square block for the neck heel in '92. The only guitars that have them after that are some of the older 7s and any reissue or signature models where the neck joint is spec'd differently (like the PGM models or 1987 reissues for example).

It also an easy fix to switch a square heel neck to an AANJ body. All you have to do is fill in the screw holes and re-drill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: