Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #21
samuraigoomba

I think I've found a good deal at guitar center, let me know if I missed anything.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...734-i2648927.gc

For those not able to see the link, it's a black RG570 with a serial number beginning with F. I've checked the serial online and it looks like a 1987 (could be a re-issue) Fuji-gen factory guitar. Seems to be legit MIJ. It's $300 and the guy says it has minor wear on the body. He also said the pickups were high-output, so I'm not sure if he means they were replaced or if he's making a general statement about ibanez guitars.

The only thing I don't like the look of is I'm pretty sure it uses a tilt joint instead of an AANJ. Does anyone have experiences playing tilt joint-style Ibanez guitars? I'm just afraid of seeing THIS sort of thing:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gEEsAOb3t...6+body+rear.JPG
The bolt-on neck that haunts my nightmares.

My other concern is whether or not GC does a good job shipping guitars, and if I should have guitars sent to GC or to my house directly.

Last edited by samuraigoomba : 11-07-2012 at 02:20 AM.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #22
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyman65
To clarify, Ibanez stopped using the square block for the neck heel in '92. The only guitars that have them after that are some of the older 7s and any reissue or signature models where the neck joint is spec'd differently (like the PGM models or 1987 reissues for example).

It also an easy fix to switch a square heel neck to an AANJ body. All you have to do is fill in the screw holes and re-drill them.

They stopped using the square heel in 1994.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #23
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I would get the Prestige hands down. 1) The AANJ is one of the best designed heels I've ever encountered. Block heels are pretty much the worst thing since spoiled milk. 2) It's cool having "Prestige" on the headstock.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #24
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

honestly i would have to play them all. in reality it may not be possible, but when buying used comparable guitars, which the 570 and Prestige 1000 series, it would go for either feel, or fretwear. i will never buy a used guitar unless i have played it. fretwork isn't cheap and on a $400 guitar pretty much 'totals it' as it would probably cost $300 to refret it. i have played a 570 before and liked it. however i own two prestiges (3550MZ and 2570EVSL), and i would take it over a 570. also partially for the countered heel in pre '94s.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #25
samuraigoomba

Well if I decide to hold out for a prestige, the closest GC to me has one for $400 that I could go try out. It's silver, but I'd be able to actually play it before buying. :|
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #26
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
Well if I decide to hold out for a prestige, the closest GC to me has one for $400 that I could go try out. It's silver, but I'd be able to actually play it before buying. :|

Playing before you buy is always a plus. And $400 is pretty damn good price.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #27
samuraigoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Playing before you buy is always a plus. And $400 is pretty damn good price.

Well the picture is small, but it looks like a gray nickel-colored RG1570.

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG1570

That's a stock internet photo, the real one is miniscule because it's GC, what do you expect.

Looks pretty much perfect, it has the AANJ and it's at the closest GC to me. Now I feel bad for asking more questions to that guy I was emailing. But seriously, I don't feel like compromising on the neck heel. I'm gonna be selling my schecter omen-6 pretty much solely because of that goddamn metal neck block.

With those specs (and assuming it's MIJ and not MIK or something weird), I can live with the color.

Edit: I also just noticed the same GC has a used RG570. Doesn't say MIJ, but it's only $250, so for that price I'll be testing it as well.

Last edited by samuraigoomba : 11-07-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #28
Offworld92
One among the fence.

To be fair, GC is getting A LOT better with their pictures and used gear sales in general. I think they're realizing that most gear heads are actually shopping used, not buying their shit off the floor. A few of the pics I've seen on GC Used are quite large and detailed. It'll take time but it'll all get better eventually.

Also agreed $400 is actually a great price for a 1570.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #29
samuraigoomba

Well, I'm finally done with my week and can go down to GC to test guitars. While I'm there, should I test amps as well? I'm using an orange 12-watt crush. It's cheap, but I'm pretty satisfied with it. Limited range, but it sounds good.

I've been holding off on getting a tube amp because I was given a broken fender vibrochamp '60s amp. Once I get it fixed, I'll have a nice practice amp to mess around with. And if I decide to sell it, I can probably get enough to buy whatever kind of amp I want.

I've also been thinking about grabbing a fuzz medal. I was planning to get a big muff, but there are, like, 4 different kinds I can get and I have no idea which is best.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #30
samuraigoomba

Sorry for the double post, but I went to check out the guitars today. There was a MIJ Ibanez RG570 for $250 and a Prestige for $400. First off, the Prestige was very dusty and dirty. It sounded okay, but the pickups... Meh. The neck was pretty nice, very flat. Probably a decent deal, but I'm feeling cash poor at the moment from other expenses.

I had much higher hopes for the RG570, especially after seeing it was MIJ. It played and sounded good, about the same as the prestige. There were a few hitches, though. The back plate was missing, and it seemed like anything metal on the front of the guitar that could have rust on it, did. I don't know if that affects anything at all, but I felt uncomfortable buying a guitar with so much rust. There was also some semi-exposed wiring on the front of the guitar (you could see the wiring for the pups).

I'm probably being way too picky, but I'm not experienced with the mechanics of guitars and have no idea how to repair something if it breaks. On the plus side, I have a feeling those guitars have been there a while and aren't exactly flying off the shelves (the kiddie metal crowd at GC seem to be into schecters instead), so I can always go back if I change my mind.

Right now I'm leaning towards a fender heartfield talon if I can find one at a good price.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #31
MetalHead916
IbAneZ JuNKiE!!!!

1992-1993 Ibanez RG470's were made at Fugijen factory with Edge trem and original wizard neck per the Ibanez wiki. Basically the equivalent to the 570's at that time. Once they moved over to Korea in 1994 the quality dropped and they got rid of the Edge and wizard for a wizard ii and lotrs trem I believe.

I have a 1993 RG470. I've owned if for over three years and just found out it was a RG470. I've always thought it was a 570 until I saw how the heel connected to the body.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1993/rg_2.jpg

Last edited by MetalHead916 : 11-15-2012 at 01:16 PM.
MetalHead916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #32
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Also agreed $400 is actually a great price for a 1570.

Good to know, I just got a Prestige RGR1570 for 400 last week in great shape.

Don't mean to hijack, but I have seen this mentioned a few times. Do all of the 1570's with the direct mount pickups have issues with aftermarket pickups fitting or is it only specific years? Pretty sure mine is a 2007.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #33
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead916
I have a 1993 RG470. I've owned if for over three years and just found out it was a RG470. I've always thought it was a 570 until I saw how the heel connected to the body.

You mean you saw the stamp in the neck pocket that says RG470?

The easiest way to tell and RG470 from a 570 is to looks at the output jack. A 570 has a flushmount jack with a small cavity in the back of the guitar, while a 470 has a jack plate and no 3rd cavity.

RG470

RG570

Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #34
MetalHead916
IbAneZ JuNKiE!!!!

Quote:
You mean you saw the stamp in the neck pocket that says RG470?

The easiest way to tell and RG470 from a 570 is to looks at the output jack. A 570 has a flushmount jack with a small cavity in the back of the guitar, while a 470 has a jack plate and no 3rd cavity.

I figured by how it didn't "contour" I guess when the neck meets the body. Instead it's just a square. But yeah, I do have a jackplate which I agree is the easiest way to tell. The first pic is the same color I have also, emerald green. It was sold to me as a 570, but I don't blame the guy. Nearly all the same components for the year.
MetalHead916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #35
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Oh yeah, I never realized the 470 didn't use the slant heel. I guess that's just as easy to recognize as the jack. Have you taken the neck off? I'm curious to know if the 470 uses a 550 neck like the 520 and 570 do. And if not, what would the difference be?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #36
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Good deals, I paid $750 for my 1570, it had Evos in it though. The standard pups are shite
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #37
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
Good deals, I paid $750 for my 1570, it had Evos in it though. The standard pups are shite

What year is yours? I want to replace the pickups but want to make sure they are going to fit, I keep hearing about the shallow pickup routes on the 1570's.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #38
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
What year is yours? I want to replace the pickups but want to make sure they are going to fit, I keep hearing about the shallow pickup routes on the 1570's.

It would literally take someone with a router and a pattern cutting bit 10 minutes to deepen the routes, and the risks are pretty low. Do you have access to a router?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #39
J_W

Quote:
It would literally take someone with a router and a pattern cutting bit 10 minutes to deepen the routes, and the risks are pretty low. Do you have access to a router?

As a last resort, I could. I don't want to, but I do have access to a router.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #40
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
As a last resort, I could. I don't want to, but I do have access to a router.

I think it's really much less risky a procedure than people might think. I'd say there is less risk involved with that than there is with drilling an extra hole for a switch(for example), and it's undetectable. I'd hate to see somewhere stick with the Ibanez stock pickups because they are reluctant to do that.

Rate This Thread: