Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
ccannon1
Band Geek

Ordering Specific Guitars?

I've been thinking about getting myself a Gibson Les Paul Traditional in either Honeyburst or Iced Tea but I've noticed that Gibson in super inconsistent with the bursts and the tops. Is there any way I can order a guitar so that I can be 100% happy with the finish/top? Or is it just a gamble?
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Some of the bigger retailers use actual pictures of the guitar you'll receive. I think Sam Ash maybe does it on some guitars. eBay might be something to consider since most people take a picture of the product instead of using stock photos.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
huskyplayer

Sweetwater has the pictures of the guitar you will choose and actually get
huskyplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Don't order a Gibson online. It's that simple. It's not just the wood grain and the depth of the burst that varies. The neck profiles vary a lot, as does the weight, which in turn effect the tone. Even if you get five Gibsons that are all of the exact same model there is a good chance none of them will feel or sound alike. So when you buy one online, even if you can see pictures of it, you might still end up with one you don't like. The only way to know you're getting one with a neck and a weight that you find comfortable is to go to an actual shop and try a bunch out. Ignore what the spec sheets say, ignore what the model name is. Just try out every guitar you can see. When you find one that fits you, buy it. Buy that one in your hands, right then and there.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Both Musician's Friend and Sweetwater offer photos of the actual guitar on their higher end products. As you've already been told, buying a guitar - any guitar, online is a real crapshoot. Not only is this an issue with Gibson, but it's an issue with the others, too. If you really want to see what you're getting, go to your local guitar store and put the product in your meat claws.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
solidrane
Wekk Blka

Sometimes it can be a hunt to find that "Perfect" guitar.
I know people who go out driving miles every month or two to guitar centres and smaller shops to find perfection.
It took nearly a year for a guy (who I don't know personally) to get the perfect blue burst PRS custom 24

You can ask any certified dealer (just check their site) to add the guitar to their next order list.
They'll happily do it... likely ask for your email and you wait.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
roaddawg07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Don't order a Gibson online. It's that simple. It's not just the wood grain and the depth of the burst that varies. The neck profiles vary a lot, as does the weight, which in turn effect the tone. Even if you get five Gibsons that are all of the exact same model there is a good chance none of them will feel or sound alike. So when you buy one online, even if you can see pictures of it, you might still end up with one you don't like. The only way to know you're getting one with a neck and a weight that you find comfortable is to go to an actual shop and try a bunch out. Ignore what the spec sheets say, ignore what the model name is. Just try out every guitar you can see. When you find one that fits you, buy it. Buy that one in your hands, right then and there.

What Mr Flibble said .That pretty much goes for any guitar manufacturer except for maybe Fender.
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
roaddawg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
ccannon1
Band Geek

I wasn't thinking online, but here in Winnipeg the only Gibson dealers don't carry too many different versions of the same model, and if you want another ordered in I believe you need to pay half of the retail price up front.
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #9
AWACS
I want all of the things

Dude, I know you're pain, Winnipeg is where I go for guitars and there is almost nothing for Gibsons in town. I would try going on kijiji and trying to find something you like there and then trying it out. That way you know the guitar you're getting, and you're buying used, so you're saving some cash.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
MrFlibble

Ignore what the models are. It doesn't matter if the shops have twenty versions of the same model or just one version of each model that Gibson makes. They're all going to vary a ton regardless of what the model is supposed to be, so there's no point worrying about it. Try Traditionals, try Studios, try Standards, Customs, Reissues, Specials, Fadeds, whatever there is. Chances are that even if you hunt down the exact model you want with the exact top and burst you want, it won't feel or sound how you want it to.

It can not be stressed enough how much Gibson vary from guitar to guitar, even when they should be identical. Take it from someone who travelled the country playing countless Gibsons to find one that didn't feel and sound bad to him, you can't judge a Gibson based on the model name, finish or price tag.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
danvwman

With all Mr fibble just said, I still cannot understand why people pay thousands for a Gibson lp
Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
With all Mr fibble just said, I still cannot understand why people pay thousands for a Gibson lp

Seriously, you're a pest on these forums.

You don't need to keep parading around on these forums about your dislike of Gibson. We stopped caring a long time ago.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 11-13-2012 at 02:22 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman

Because when you do finally find the one that fits you, nothing else comes remotely close to it.

Rate This Thread: