Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
mmpizar

12 String Gotoh Bridge intonation help

I have a Cozart custom made 12 string guitar with a Gotoh 12 string bridge (12 individually adjusted saddles). I cant seem to get the intonation right. The octave strings come out a hair flat when its mate is intoned properly, or the larger gauge string is sharp when the octave string is intoned correctly, even though the saddles are at their extreme opposites for each pair, and can't be adjusted farther.
[IMG]Gotoh_12-string_Bridge_For_Electric_Guitar_sm.jpg[/IMG]
I've tried adjusting saddle height. (cannot compromise action any more), went to a medium gauge string set(11s)(slight improvement), I'm considering designing a custom set of strings (light gauge regular with medium gauge octaves).
This is the best Bridge/Saddle combo I can find for this Strat style 12 string (4 octave gauge strings + 2 through the bridge-tail, and 6 regular gauge strings through the guitar body). Do I just have to settle for playing near the nut? Any solutions? Any suggestions? I like this guitar!!!
Attached Images

Michaelcosm Ministries
mmpizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

If you're only a hair out, it shouldn't be something too noticeable. Maybe you're being a bit too anal and precise about it. I'd bet that a lot of 12 string players like the slightly out of intonation sound, like people who enjoy the sound of a 3 saddle telecaster. The slightly out intonation just gives it a different character.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
mmpizar

OK, so its a BIG hair from a wooly mammoth, far too noticeable at the 10th fret and up, especially for recording. I'm also tempted to file out the adjustment slots of the octave saddles. I might get another 16th inch closer to pitch; or I could drill and tap the base a bit closer to the frets. It would only be 4 holes. (Notice, I've really done some thinking on this.)

Michaelcosm Ministries
mmpizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Okay, after looking at more pictures of the bridge, I'm sure you're missing something. There should be extra holes for you to move the screw of the intonation slot for the octave strings, so you are able to move it even farther or closer to where its non-octave string is.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Okay, after looking at more pictures of the bridge, I'm sure you're missing something. There should be extra holes for you to move the screw of the intonation slot for the octave strings, so you are able to move it even farther or closer to where its non-octave string is.

yep, my danelectro 12-string has this, and the bridge is the same design as the one pictured. i had to take some of the screws out and put them into a different slot to get the intonation sounding decent.

i never got it just right, but it's acceptable.
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: