Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
tomxrich

Buying a second guitar

Hi,

Hello from England to all you folks here at UG, and apologies for starting another thread that I'm sure you guys see a lot of, but I can't seem to come to a decision on my own

I used to have a second hand Gibson LP Standard a long time ago after a string of cheap and nasty guitars when I got into playing, then had to sell it when I moved out of my parents place.

I then got my sh*t together and had an Epiphone LP Standard and one of the bargain basement worn brown Gibson Studio LP's. Then history repeated itself and I got screwed royally by my house mate, resulting in guitar-less-ness once again haha

So now, a few years down the line, I really missed playing so I picked up a Series 1 Epiphone LP Prophecy EX with the EMG's and whatnot. This is a great guitar, regardless of what's written on the headstock or the ugly inlays or where it's made, and it covers metal and so on perfectly well as expected, but I fancy something for some blues and old rock and stuff now.

The Gibsons I've played lately in shops have been really nice guitars but in *my opinion* they can't quite justify the price tags they've carried. I've also been really impressed with ESP's LTD lines...

I guess the bottom line is, if you had a guitar to cover metal playing and heavier stuff, what would you go for as your sort of "normal use" guitar? I've been looking at Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop's, LTD EC-256FM's, Fender Modern Player Telecaster's, and a few other random ones at slightly higher prices like the Gibson LP Studio Goldtop and also some semi-hollow-bodies.

If anyone has any reccomendations of a middle-of-the-road guitar to cover the softer stuff but still with a little crunch then I'd greatly appreciate it, and sorry for the huuuge block of text above, thanks
tomxrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomxrich
The Gibsons I've played lately in shops have been really nice guitars but in *my opinion* they can't quite justify the price tags they've carried. I've also been really impressed with ESP's LTD lines...

Seems to be everyone's opinion

On topic, the LTDs, as long as you don't get one less-than or equal to the 200 series, are very solid.

But we need your budget as to give you the most bang for your buck.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Ibanez RGA121NTF
Ibanez RG1570
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485 "Kimmy"
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

I'm in the same boat. I recently started playing again after about a decade-long hiatus and ended up getting an Epiphone Prophecy with EMG's. I got the black Futura model. I'm in the market for a "main" guitar as well, so I'll be checking back here to see the responses.

I did pick up a couple of cheapies on Craig's List but those don't really count, I'm looking for something I'd be able to gig with if I decide to get into that again.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
tomxrich

Thanks a lot jeleopard, I was waiting for some Gibson guys to bite my head off for that haha Good to hear about the LTD's though, the 256 I played did seem really well put together and at 25 I think I'm past caring about brand names enough to spend twice as much just for a cool logo on the headstock

Huge Guy... I felt real gay writing that... but anyway, fair play on the Futura, they look sweet Hope this thread helps you too man

Ideally I wouldn't want to head over the £500 / $800 mark and I'm still happily open to suggestions of anything cheaper if they're nicely built, i.e. the LTD 256FM only weighing in at only £350
Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
jpcl

Depends on what exactly your looking for. Could you give us some more info on what exactly you'll be playing on this new guitar (most of the bands names, or all of them if you can)?

Also what's your take on Fender's? Have you tried any? How they sound and feel?
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Heideck

LTD ec-400 or ec-1000 are very nice guitars

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (Celestion Vintage and Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Huge Guy... I felt real gay writing that... but anyway, fair play on the Futura, they look sweet Hope this thread helps you too man

Ha ha, "Huge Guy" was a song I wrote while in college about a NYC guido in my dorm who obsessively went to the gym and thought he was God's gift to women...I think I may re-register under a new name!

Anyway I was thinking of getting an Ibanez, I had an RG as my second guitar and wish I still had it.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
tomxrich

JPCL, this one will mainly be for anything from Gary Moore to some of Slash's milder work, so needs to be a pretty versatile guitar with half decent cleans, good bluesy tones, and still a bit of dirt to back it all up when I feel like some rockier stuff... sorry for being really vague haha, but I really need something to be a bit of a Swiss army knife

I used to really dislike Fender's just from a closed minded 'aesthetic/my Dad always played Fenders' point of view, but now I'm quite into them. The Mexicans and Modern Players I've tried have felt like Fender really make an effort and aren't into resting on their laurels like the Gibson corporation. The Mexicans are especially impressive for the money, real quality guitars. Definitely interested in a Tele at the moment, but something always brings me back the Les Paul side of town...

Heideck, good to hear mate, will have to try and get hold of a 400 or higher next time I'm in one of the bigger shops around here

Haha no offence HG, just thought it was funny Fair play on the Ibanez, that's a good shout, will be trying to check some of their Strat and LP-A-Likes if the opportunity comes up! Thanks for the replies so far guys.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
jpcl

Quote:
JPCL, this one will mainly be for anything from Gary Moore to some of Slash's milder work, so needs to be a pretty versatile guitar with half decent cleans, good bluesy tones, and still a bit of dirt to back it all up when I feel like some rockier stuff... sorry for being really vague haha, but I really need something to be a bit of a Swiss army knife

I used to really dislike Fender's just from a closed minded 'aesthetic/my Dad always played Fenders' point of view, but now I'm quite into them. The Mexicans and Modern Players I've tried have felt like Fender really make an effort and aren't into resting on their laurels like the Gibson corporation. The Mexicans are especially impressive for the money, real quality guitars. Definitely interested in a Tele at the moment, but something always brings me back the Les Paul side of town...

Heideck, good to hear mate, will have to try and get hold of a 400 or higher next time I'm in one of the bigger shops around here

Haha no offence HG, just thought it was funny Fair play on the Ibanez, that's a good shout, will be trying to check some of their Strat and LP-A-Likes if the opportunity comes up! Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Well I think the LP would better suit your musical taste and your feel if you keep getting pulled back to LP's. I also feel much better and more "at home" with a SG/LP then a Strat (and Tele, although I have grown to like them a lot more).

I think that the best guitar to suit you would probably be a Vintage AV1. I can't get enough of this brand, and neither can my brother-in-law. He owns a Fender MIA Strat and two V100 icon models from Vintage since I introduced him to the brand, and he still can't believe the price difference. The Fender is a better guitar overall, but my god to these LP's shine. My SG is still hanging in there and I don't play on ever selling it.

Now to the real point. The Vintage AV1 is kinda like a higher range model from the LP range they produce.
Since this is a UK brand, it'll be quite cheap, and you'll still have a bit of money to spare to save up or just spend on the guitar on whatever feature you might want to add/replace.

I personally have never tried these, since they don't make them in left-handed. But if these are better then the normal/icon V100's, that'll say a lot.
They get huge praise here on UG review's:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi..._av1/index.html

Has some pretty good features that I think you'll find very useful. One of them is the upper fret access due to the slight cutaway on the top, and the other being the "Control" knob, which basically acts like a coil-split for single-coil sounds, except for the fact that it's a knob, not a switch, so you can gradually change the sound as much as you want, instead of just two basic on/off options.
Also features a real maple top with a maple veneer on top, and a Graph Tech nut, which are features most LP's won't offer you at the price. I also hear they already have 500k pots in them.

I'm sure you'll manage to find one to try out.

Last edited by jpcl : 11-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
tomxrich

Those are some good reviews and they seem really consistent... I saw a review on Vintage's take on the Appetite For Destruction Les Pauls on iGuitar as well the other day and they said it felt as good as the last 3 Gibsons they'd had in, so that along with what you've said and those reviews from this site do look really promising.

I'm pretty sure there's a little guitar shop in the next city from me that does Vintage so I'll go and have a look tomorrow afternoon when I have a spare couple of hours, thanks a lot for the heads up, I had looked at them briefly but as I hadn't heard too much about them I kind of took it with a pinch of salt, but I can easily believe it due to the consistency

I'm still amazed at the quality of a lot of the circa £300 Chinese guitars compared to how they were 10 years ago when I grabbed my first dodgy BC Rich haha Seems the whole industry has come on leaps and bounds and the smaller "cheap" brands are trying harder than anyone else for their guitars quality to speak for itself and get hold of people's hard earned and less readily available money, so I guess that can only ever be a good thing... awesome guitars for everyone haha

I'm still going to have to get another Gibson Standard, or more likely something from the 'proper' ESP EC range, som time when there's more cash around but I guess it's all coming down to a Vintage, Fender Tele, or a LTD 256 or maaaybe the slight chance of a LTD 401 now.

Will keep you guys posted and thanks a lot for everyone's replies, opinions and help. Much appreciated. Take it steady folks
Old 11-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
jpcl

Quote:
Those are some good reviews and they seem really consistent... I saw a review on Vintage's take on the Appetite For Destruction Les Pauls on iGuitar as well the other day and they said it felt as good as the last 3 Gibsons they'd had in, so that along with what you've said and those reviews from this site do look really promising.

I'm pretty sure there's a little guitar shop in the next city from me that does Vintage so I'll go and have a look tomorrow afternoon when I have a spare couple of hours, thanks a lot for the heads up, I had looked at them briefly but as I hadn't heard too much about them I kind of took it with a pinch of salt, but I can easily believe it due to the consistency

I'm still amazed at the quality of a lot of the circa £300 Chinese guitars compared to how they were 10 years ago when I grabbed my first dodgy BC Rich haha Seems the whole industry has come on leaps and bounds and the smaller "cheap" brands are trying harder than anyone else for their guitars quality to speak for itself and get hold of people's hard earned and less readily available money, so I guess that can only ever be a good thing... awesome guitars for everyone haha

I'm still going to have to get another Gibson Standard, or more likely something from the 'proper' ESP EC range, som time when there's more cash around but I guess it's all coming down to a Vintage, Fender Tele, or a LTD 256 or maaaybe the slight chance of a LTD 401 now.

Will keep you guys posted and thanks a lot for everyone's replies, opinions and help. Much appreciated. Take it steady folks

Well Vintage has always been a good take on budget guitars, although in it's early years I think it wasn't that great, but as soon as Trev Wilkinson joined in the fun and started offering his services/products to them, things skyrocketed from that point.

Anyways, I suggested the AV1, since it's probably the best deal in terms of versatility and quality, but you can always try other Vintage models. I know they make P90 LP's, mini-humbucker LP's, and they have such a great vibe to them.

I know I sound like a Vintage branded guitar seller, but it's my best input, because I've never had much contact on those LTD models, while I have try almost every model in Vintage's range except for the Tele models (played their strat's, sg's, LP's) and since your in the UK, they come even cheaper then normal.

Might I ask in what region do you live? If you happen to live anywhere near Birmingham you could take a look at this shop: http://www.thelittleguitarshop.com/

I'm living at the moment in Portugal, yet I contacted him by email and the man is seriously helpful. He ain't no left-handed player, but he was willing (and so he did) to make a video of a Tokai LP left-handed model just to give me an idea of how it sounded and all, since I couldn't come try it out.
He's always getting new stock, and his main guitar brands are Vintage, Tokai, Gibson and Fender and he's got some quality products right there, including some very serious guitars like old 60 or 70's Gibson LP's and others.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
tomxrich

Trev does sound like a top bloke from everything I've heard and I guess him being on board is enough to explain the big turn around, they definitely look up together online, quite looking forward to going to see some haha Definitely keen on trying some P90's for the retro vibe too! Vintage do seem to tick a lot of boxes, I can totally see where you're coming from.

I'm down in the South West so decent shops are few and far between, but there are some good ones around Bath and Bristol so I can't complain I guess Would definitely be better off in Birmingham or one of the bigger cities like you say though, and I'll check out their site mate, sounds like awesome customer service you got and that's always a big selling point for me

There's a vintage/boutique guitar and amp shop in Bath that I want to have a look around too, just out of interest of course, but I drive a Mk2 Golf GTI and I don't do finance so I'll probably get asked to leave pretty sharpish haha
Old 11-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
jpcl

Quote:
Trev does sound like a top bloke from everything I've heard and I guess him being on board is enough to explain the big turn around, they definitely look up together online, quite looking forward to going to see some haha Definitely keen on trying some P90's for the retro vibe too! Vintage do seem to tick a lot of boxes, I can totally see where you're coming from.

I'm down in the South West so decent shops are few and far between, but there are some good ones around Bath and Bristol so I can't complain I guess Would definitely be better off in Birmingham or one of the bigger cities like you say though, and I'll check out their site mate, sounds like awesome customer service you got and that's always a big selling point for me

There's a vintage/boutique guitar and amp shop in Bath that I want to have a look around too, just out of interest of course, but I drive a Mk2 Golf GTI and I don't do finance so I'll probably get asked to leave pretty sharpish haha

Well I wish you luck, and just so you know, if there's anything I love more then music, it's cars, so don't you dare think that GTI is anything but great! If anyone even thinks about trashing that little cutie you tell them to sod off. xD

The guy in that shop was also more then willing to give me all the info I needed as to where it was made and year, but yeah it is a bit of a trip for you, but I guess from now on, it's up to you.

Once again, glad I could help and good luck. Weither you take a Vintage guitar home I'm not sure, but I'll know they will surely suprise you and give you a good fight on what to take.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
tomxrich

Haha thanks mate, it's the OZ Turbo split rims that make me love the ole GTI, it's my 7th Mk2 and 18th VW after realising I can't afford to keep crashing drift cars... If it's not Les Paul's it's dubs, there's always something after your money isn't there haha

Will post up once I've hit the local Vintage dealer, thanks again for your help bud
Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
jpcl

Quote:
Haha thanks mate, it's the OZ Turbo split rims that make me love the ole GTI, it's my 7th Mk2 and 18th VW after realising I can't afford to keep crashing drift cars... If it's not Les Paul's it's dubs, there's always something after your money isn't there haha

Will post up once I've hit the local Vintage dealer, thanks again for your help bud

Damn, now I wish I had a little old hatchback from those days for me to mess around with...But yeah, I know what you mean. These two attractions we seem to share aren't exactly the cheapest...lol.

Glad to help mate, and I'll be waiting for that post. I sure am interested on your verdict on them and for which guitar you'll be finally making the move on (weither or not it's a Vintage).
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

For the "less than metal" second guitar, I'd look for:

1) the HHS or HSH Godins and G&Ls- I think they deliver better value for money than Fenders, and they just feel better in my hands. They might for you, too.

2) Malden's Karma, a nice LP style guitar that has a really good sound...and its Bad Karma cousin has a slightly heavier feel.

3) The Reverend Double Agent, which can cover a broad tonal range with a bridge HB and a neck P-90. Other Reverends like the Manta Ray, Sensei, Warhawk and Club King may also deliver the sound and aesthetics you want.

4) a Fernandes Ravelle Elite (just got one for my birthday)- I have to say its a true rock machine. The Sustainer may turn into one of my favorite guitar toys ever. Other models like the Dragonfly might also appeal.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
jpcl

I've also tried 1-2 Fernandes, if they are consistant with the ones I tried, they're also very good options indeed.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
tomxrich

dannyalcatraz, thanks a lot for the suggestions man, Reverend's exclusive UK dealer doesn't stock the Double Agent and Malden don't seem to be available in the UK, but Fernandes is a good shout, thanks I'll look into them.

So I went to a biggg Gibson/Epi/ESP/LTD/PRS dealer today...

I was amazed at the amount of Gibson's, even Les Paul Standards for £1500 upwards, that had wonky knobs or frayed edges on the pick guards or glue residue around some of the neck joints... really disappointed to be completely honest. They did have a really nice and really well finished and set up Gibson Studio in satin vintage sunburst that I'm going to go back and have a look at again in the week.

But I have to agree now after first hand experience that Vintage are top notch for the money and ESP and LTD are seriously putting the work in. PRS blew my mind too haha, sooo sweet, that's the kind of quality guitars should be at to justify the bigger price tags

More info / random rambling soon, and thanks again for all the replies and info.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Reverend's exclusive UK dealer doesn't stock the Double Agent

If you like it, talk to them. They may order it for you.

That's how I got my Dean TC Caddy...no regrets.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #20
Offworld92
One among the fence.

If you're just looking for ideas and to check out stuff, my next guitar is going to be an Ibanez ART. Most likely an ART-200. Gonna throw a set of DiMarzio Breeds in it, or maybe a Super Distortion/PAF Pro set.

Best advice I can give is to go used. Way more bang for buck, and if you sell it you'll likely break even or just around.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: