Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Stacked volume controls

Wanting to completely rewire my Jackson Kelly KE3 as Bridge pickup has been playing up, and want a challenge too. Without drilling any new holes, I only have room for one pot along with the 3-way pickup switch, but I would like two volumes, one for each pickup. Don't need a tone control, got used to not needing it for this guitar.

So I came across stacked pots where you have two separate pots for different things. Have one of these on my bass guitar with active circuitry that works as Treble and Bass boost/cut, so I see it would fit the one hole.

My question is, would this be a good idea? 2 volumes would be great for me, and I don't particularly like the idea of drilling into my guitar, and having 2 volume pots that are really close.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
DLrocket89
UG's roaming amp builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Wanting to completely rewire my Jackson Kelly KE3 as Bridge pickup has been playing up, and want a challenge too. Without drilling any new holes, I only have room for one pot along with the 3-way pickup switch, but I would like two volumes, one for each pickup. Don't need a tone control, got used to not needing it for this guitar.

So I came across stacked pots where you have two separate pots for different things. Have one of these on my bass guitar with active circuitry that works as Treble and Bass boost/cut, so I see it would fit the one hole.

My question is, would this be a good idea? 2 volumes would be great for me, and I don't particularly like the idea of drilling into my guitar, and having 2 volume pots that are really close.

I had something like that on a different guitar. It had 3 pickups - I had a stacked pot for each pickup. The top was volume, the ring was tone. Worked great. The only thing to realize is that if you crank the volume on one down, the other will stay loud. I think it would work really well in your situation though, because you could just grab both the top and the ring at the same time and crank them both down at the same time if you wanted to make the guitar as a whole louder or quieter.

Go for it!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
DLrocket89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLrocket89
I had something like that on a different guitar. It had 3 pickups - I had a stacked pot for each pickup. The top was volume, the ring was tone. Worked great. The only thing to realize is that if you crank the volume on one down, the other will stay loud. I think it would work really well in your situation though, because you could just grab both the top and the ring at the same time and crank them both down at the same time if you wanted to make the guitar as a whole louder or quieter.

Go for it!

Sweet! Cheers, now I just gotta figure out if what I have at the moment is a metric or a CTS sized pot, and then how to wire it all Can't be too difficult, eh?
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: