User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
ChrisGTR

Recording\editing software

Hey!

Which software is more comfortable?

I have Cubase LE (is it as good as Cubase?)

And I heard that MAGIX Music Maker is the best editor of 2012, is it true?
Should I buy it or stick to Cubase LE?

Thanks!
ChrisGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
MatrixClaw
UG God

If you're going to spend $60 on any DAW, it better be Reaper.

Cubase LE is completely fine though, until you start getting into higher track counts and need the full features of an upgraded DAW, I don't see how spending money on an "upgrade" would really be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
ChrisGTR

Thanks for answering.
So Cubase LE is good for a professional album?
ChrisGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

inb4 lockwolf...

I love Cubase, personally.

As for as software being good for a professional album, it ranks in importance somewhere between what brand of strings you used on your guitar and whether you used plastic or wooden tips on the drum sticks.

See, by the time your music hits the software, it already either sounds awesome, good, fair, or like crap. The software can help a mediocre or poor recording sound better, but not professional. Two of the most common sayings in recordings are "crap in = crap out" and "you can polish a turd, but all you're gonna get is a shiny turd." Software doesn't make recordings - it manipulates recordings. If you've got great sounds to begin with, (and good monitors and a good room) stuff will almost seem to mix itself.

So, how do you make great sounding recordings?

1. Great mics. Sure, you can throw an SM57 on a kick drum and it will work. It won't compare to an RE-20, though. Sure, you can throw a Rock Band mic in front of a singer, but it won't begin to compare to a U87, or hell, even an SM7.

2. Great preamps. Oh, sure, those Behringer preamps or those ones in your little Focusrite unit sound fine and will make perfectly listenable recordings. However, the difference between those and a Neve or SSL or Avalon (etc) is going to blow your mind.

3. Great monitors. You can't mix if you can't hear accurately, and if you can't hear accurately, your mix is doomed to fall somewhere between listenable and unlistenable. It will never be excellent, great, or professional.

4. A great room. You know that boxy, hollow sound you get when you use your phone to record video? Well, the thin-ness of the sound is because of the cheap mic, but the boxy, hollow sound is because the sound is reflecting around the room once or twice or ten times before it actually gets to the mic. No pro in the world can mix or EQ that out. A great room will just allow you to set up the mics and let it rip without having to worry about those characteristics.

5. Knowledge of the person doing the recording. Let's face it. None of us were all that good at guitar after playing for a year or even two. Of course, we were "getting there" but not ready for prime time. Recording, like anything else, takes research and practice. There is a lot to it.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGTR
And I heard that MAGIX Music Maker is the best editor of 2012, is it true?

Who said that and what were they smoking? I'm sorry but MAGIX has never done anything good. Hell, even the software I have of theirs I picked up in the bargain bin for $1 down from its original $50-$60 price didn't even work properly.

I'd say if you're going to waste $50 on a shit program, you should spend $60 on a license for Reaper and use that instead. A lot of people here use it and you can find millions of tutorials on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
inb4 lockwolf...

Just be happy I was at work :p

My main hangup with Cubase is its terrible UI and the fact that the version I was using was buggy as hell. After trying to fight with it for a week, I just couldn't get used to it.

Though everything else you said is pretty valid.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
MatrixClaw
UG God

I love the Cubase UI. Pro Tools on the other hand.....

Actually, getting pretty good with PT10 now, but that ****ing program keeps crashing whenever I try to render as a mp3, so I have to render as a wav and convert to MP3 in Reaper. So annoying.

Honestly though, I think the mix I recently did with it is one of my best, and I'd only been using the program for like 30 minutes. Might be annoying to use, but apparently I get great results...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Actually, getting pretty good with PT10 now, but that ****ing program keeps crashing whenever I try to render as a mp3, so I have to render as a wav and convert to MP3 in Reaper. So annoying.

It varies on your session. I've found the more you have to render, the less likely it is to render to MP3. I usually bounce it out to a .wav then into WaveLab for a few last minute tweaks for final products or Audacity for quick bounces.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
strangedogs
An Old Dude with an AX...

Cubase LE can produce quality (Pro sounding) recordings.

Rate This Thread: