Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
J2G
UG Member

Learning all notes + Lessons

Yo, I wanted to know how you guys learned every note on the fretboard?

I'm doing that now and I'm doing it with an app as I lay down and when I'm on the guitar I just run through them on all strings, write them on charts, and also construct triads with them. I think it's working pretty well taking it bit by bit.

But does anybody have a simpler way of doing this? All I ask is suggestions, I like my way so far but I'm open to experienced players and stuff...

-----

Also, I'm definitely gonna take lessons soon (been playing for almost 9 months) most teachers in the area I'm at are from real cheap (10/20/hr) to the normal (30/50hr). Of course the ones that cost more have a lot more on their background from their ads and I want the best I can get.

How many times a week/month is good to have an instructor teach? And no I'm not trying to pay $30-$50 a week for a month, per month... that'd kill my pockets. So how many hours did YOU see your instructor?
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
seljer
UG Resident

You have to to work out the system, theres no point in blindly memorizing the entire fretboard.

Before anything else, you need to know the major scale, CDEFGABC back and forth, if you're waken up in the middle of the night. That and the fact that theres no accidentals between BC and EF.

You know how to tune the guitar, hence, you know the open strings are EADGBE

If you tune your guitar by ear, you match up the notes to the 5th (or 4th) fret, so you know all the notes at the fifth fret. Again, you can apply this same principle from the 5th fret to the 10th fret

A power chord is the root and the fifth. If you know the circle of fifths, from the above two points, you can easily reference the entire 2nd and 7th frets. If you play the power chord over three strings, the third note is the octave to the root too. Again, the B strings whacks things up a bit but you just take that into account.

You probably know a few open chords too, if nothing else, C G and F (and E/A/D), guess what the lowest notes in the common fingeringss of those chords are

Everything repeats after the 12th frets so that doubles the number of notes covered.

Once you've got so many notes already covered its just a matter of filling in the blanks in between
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

CAGED system.

Also. if you have A on the E. the A will be 2 frets up on the D.
Whatever is on the A will be the same on the G 2 frets up.
And whatever is on the D will be 3 frets up on the B.

Learn what the notes are on the inlays.

If you know what the E and A strings are then you should be able to work out what the D and G are quite quickly, and you know the high E, so after that, it's just the B.

But really, the CAGED system helps you get to grips with the fretboard with actual tools that help you (major scale, other scales, other ways to play chords) as opposed to just knowing it without doing anything with it. So that's what you should be looking to.

www.justinguitar.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
J2G
UG Member

Late response sorry, but thanks for the tips I'll go ahead and do things that way.
Actually the "blind" method has nailed a lot of them in my head lol. The suggested ways will make my life easier though so thanks fellas.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
rockhuang

it's greate help for me . thanks
rockhuang is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: