Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
JayCartay

As a huge Tom Delonge fan, I have an Epi Dot with a Dirty Fingers humbucker in. For some reason, when I record my guitars, the DF just doesn't sound as good as whatever the humbucker in my RS530 Ibanez is to me, which is weird and almost certainly because I can't run it through any of the long list of expensive gear Tom does.
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acechao111
Eventually I plan to get a bigger, better amp. But I'm taking my time with that decision.

Then buy a new pickup when you get a new amp. You have no idea what amp characteristics you'll like/hate until you get it. That is what you really need to be choosing a pickup based on.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
700 GBP isn't an expensive amp. many of us here have paid 5-10 times that...

anyways, considering what you've stated, here are some ideas:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_a...a5012_combo.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_val...tarrencombo.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_lc30112n.htm

also keep your eyes peeled for a used Bad Cat Cougar 50 or a used Orange TH30 combo.

obviously, there are many more amps out there, but these are good places to start. check out on-line review (better yet, try them in person) and see what you think.

Okay thanks for the advice there, and yeah I understand some people dish out a lot of money on their amps, and that's cool, but at the moment I don't have a great deal of money, although I'm willing to save up. I like the look of the Peavy valve king 112 a lot!

I often get confused with all the terms related to amps, like you have tube amps, combos, stacks, cabs, etc.

What kind of amp am I looking for? and what sort of watt for sufficient volume to gig with usually?

Thanks for the help
Acechao111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #24
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

and thanks to everyone so far for the pick-up advice, the JB & Invader are still my considerations, but I think I will end up leaving it until I get an amp.

I have no idea how much better the sound will be when I get a nicer, and bigger amp, so maybe I'll be surprised?

I think I'll probably end up looking into amps for a little bit, and trying to learn more about amps and what amps will be good for me!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Okay thanks for the advice there, and yeah I understand some people dish out a lot of money on their amps, and that's cool, but at the moment I don't have a great deal of money, although I'm willing to save up. I like the look of the Peavy valve king 112 a lot!

I often get confused with all the terms related to amps, like you have tube amps, combos, stacks, cabs, etc.

What kind of amp am I looking for? and what sort of watt for sufficient volume to gig with usually?

Thanks for the help

so, a combo is an amp with both the amplifier and speaker(s) in an integrated unit. A head is the amplifier part without the speakers. The cab (cabinet) is the part of the amp that houses the speaker- it could be integrated or separate. 112, 412, 212: these refer to the number and size of speakers- those would indicate 1, 2 or 4 12" speakers. a half-stack is a head with a cab, a stack is a head with 2 412 cabs.

to learn about valve (tube) amps, google it. the explanations on the web are nice and thorough. I recommended tube amps because they're generally regarded as being better sounding and have better feel.

The amps I suggested are actually quite similar. they're all medium sized combo's with 30-50 watts (more than enough to compete with a drummer- there is more to volume than watts), which is plenty for a gig. I was looking for 2 channel amps, so that you can have a dirty channel and a clean channel. Trying to keep the amps nice and simple too.

I actually play a valveking 112 sometimes (my brothers' amp), and it's pretty good. It isn't the fanciest amp in the world, but it does sound and feel better than most of the amps it's competing against. it has good sound, good distortion and good feel, and it costs the same as most modelling amps.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
so, a combo is an amp with both the amplifier and speaker(s) in an integrated unit. A head is the amplifier part without the speakers. The cab (cabinet) is the part of the amp that houses the speaker- it could be integrated or separate. 112, 412, 212: these refer to the number and size of speakers- those would indicate 1, 2 or 4 12" speakers. a half-stack is a head with a cab, a stack is a head with 2 412 cabs.

to learn about valve (tube) amps, google it. the explanations on the web are nice and thorough. I recommended tube amps because they're generally regarded as being better sounding and have better feel.

The amps I suggested are actually quite similar. they're all medium sized combo's with 30-50 watts (more than enough to compete with a drummer- there is more to volume than watts), which is plenty for a gig. I was looking for 2 channel amps, so that you can have a dirty channel and a clean channel. Trying to keep the amps nice and simple too.

I actually play a valveking 112 sometimes (my brothers' amp), and it's pretty good. It isn't the fanciest amp in the world, but it does sound and feel better than most of the amps it's competing against. it has good sound, good distortion and good feel, and it costs the same as most modelling amps.

So a combo amp is probably what I'll be wanting to get? okay I'll look up tube amps online to see what they have to say

If it has a clean and distorted channel, would I be able to use a footswitch to change between the two? I have a fender footswitch to change between the presets on the mustang.

How will the sound usually differ from amp to amp? Like would one amp give a nicer tone than another or what?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #27
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
So a combo amp is probably what I'll be wanting to get? okay I'll look up tube amps online to see what they have to say

If it has a clean and distorted channel, would I be able to use a footswitch to change between the two? I have a fender footswitch to change between the presets on the mustang.

How will the sound usually differ from amp to amp? Like would one amp give a nicer tone than another or what?

A combo amp would probably be the best bet. They simplify everything and usually offer better value.

Most of the time, 2+ channel amps will offer footswitching between the channels. A rare few don't, but that's certainly the exception.

Amps will differ tremendously. Until you go and play a couple of different amps, you can't really begin to comprehend how different they sound. Just as importantly, particularly with tube amps, is how the amp FEELS. different amps respond to your playing dynamics differently, so you may find that you prefer certain types of amps over one another (hence my suggestions showing a number of ideas)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #28
dannyalcatraz

Quote:

"Nice" is subjective; amps by different makers will sound different, sometimes amazingly so.

My goal when buying my first (and so far, only) amp was to get the cleanest clean sound I could get to allow the unique tonal values of my pedals & guitars come through. I tried a lot, and had to decide between a Fender, a Vox and a Peavey. The Peavey kept giving me "ice pick" sounds when playing certain tunes- why, I have no idea. The Vox was sweet, but ultimately, the 40w Fender HRD 1x12 won out.

But now I want to play some heavier stuff, and the Fender simply doesn't distort well enough for metal without a LOT of work. So now I'm looking at makers like Orange.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
A combo amp would probably be the best bet. They simplify everything and usually offer better value.

Most of the time, 2+ channel amps will offer footswitching between the channels. A rare few don't, but that's certainly the exception.

Amps will differ tremendously. Until you go and play a couple of different amps, you can't really begin to comprehend how different they sound. Just as importantly, particularly with tube amps, is how the amp FEELS. different amps respond to your playing dynamics differently, so you may find that you prefer certain types of amps over one another (hence my suggestions showing a number of ideas)

Thanks that really cleared things up for me! Especially telling me how I should see how the amp feels. I will try and play some different amps, although I don't have the luxury of big guitar shops where I live. But I'll see what I can do!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #30
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
"Nice" is subjective; amps by different makers will sound different, sometimes amazingly so.

My goal when buying my first (and so far, only) amp was to get the cleanest clean sound I could get to allow the unique tonal values of my pedals & guitars come through. I tried a lot, and had to decide between a Fender, a Vox and a Peavey. The Peavey kept giving me "ice pick" sounds when playing certain tunes- why, I have no idea. The Vox was sweet, but ultimately, the 40w Fender HRD 1x12 won out.

But now I want to play some heavier stuff, and the Fender simply doesn't distort well enough for metal without a LOT of work. So now I'm looking at makers like Orange.

Oh, I get you!
Well do you think I'd be better off getting the pedals I need and stuff, or will amps usually provide a sufficient drive/distortion on their own? Or does it differ?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #31
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Oh, I get you!
Well do you think I'd be better off getting the pedals I need and stuff, or will amps usually provide a sufficient drive/distortion on their own? Or does it differ?

it really differs. Amp distortion and pedal distortion often sound and feel completely different. Personally, I cannot use distortion pedals for the bulk of my gain- it just feels off. I do use a tubescreamer clone to boost the signal a bit when I play with single coils, but my amp does most of the work.

in your case, it will really depend on which amp you pick. The amps I suggested have good distortion (One of the reasons I liked them), but you may find that you really like something like an HRD or AC30. your best bet is to go to shops and play!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #32
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
it really differs. Amp distortion and pedal distortion often sound and feel completely different. Personally, I cannot use distortion pedals for the bulk of my gain- it just feels off. I do use a tubescreamer clone to boost the signal a bit when I play with single coils, but my amp does most of the work.

in your case, it will really depend on which amp you pick. The amps I suggested have good distortion (One of the reasons I liked them), but you may find that you really like something like an HRD or AC30. your best bet is to go to shops and play!

Last time I checked there weren't many amps in the local shop, probably due to no space to put them, that could be awkward for me.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #33
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Anyone got any experience with these?

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...e-Combo-Amp/H0Y

I've just been looking round and I couldn't believe the price of this for what it is. But does anyone know if they're any good?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #34
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Anyone got any experience with these?

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...e-Combo-Amp/H0Y

I've just been looking round and I couldn't believe the price of this for what it is. But does anyone know if they're any good?

it's pretty crappy. It's a hybrid amp, not a tube amp, and only features 1 tube in the pre-amp stage. they sound just awful though.

keep in mind, that more features and more power does not for a second mean a better amp. you'll have way more luck in the 30-50 watt range- which is plenty loud for gigging (120 watts- especially from a full tube amp- is utterly deafening)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #35
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
it's pretty crappy. It's a hybrid amp, not a tube amp, and only features 1 tube in the pre-amp stage. they sound just awful though.

keep in mind, that more features and more power does not for a second mean a better amp. you'll have way more luck in the 30-50 watt range- which is plenty loud for gigging (120 watts- especially from a full tube amp- is utterly deafening)

Oh okay fair enough:3 So, 50watt will usually be more than enough? 1 x 12 right?

what difference does it makes, and is it better, if it's like 2 x 12, or 4 x 12? Something to do with the speakers right?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #36
dannyalcatraz

My 40w HRD has never seen the high side of 5- unless you're headlining a world tour, 50w is enough.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #37
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
My 40w HRD has never seen the high side of 5- unless you're headlining a world tour, 50w is enough.

Fair enough hehe. I've never heard anything bigger than 20 watt, not a tube amp, i've never heard a tube amp.

My Fender mustang 1 usually sees 9 when playing with my hyper drummer..
Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Damn I wish I could try out some of these amps.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #39
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Fair enough hehe. I've never heard anything bigger than 20 watt, not a tube amp, i've never heard a tube amp.

My Fender mustang 1 usually sees 9 when playing with my hyper drummer..

a 20watt solid-state modelling amp (what you have) is going to be a lot quieter than a 50 watt tube amp. a lot.

as for the speaker configurations, a 1x12 (a single 12" speaker) should be sufficient. For practice, I use either a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40 watts, 1x12) or an Mesa Dual Rec through a 1x12 (50 watt mode), and it's more than enough to keep up with an aggressive drummer without going much beyond 3-5 on the volume knob.

when you play a tube amp, you'll most likely be amazed at what you've been missing.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #40
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
a 20watt solid-state modelling amp (what you have) is going to be a lot quieter than a 50 watt tube amp. a lot.

as for the speaker configurations, a 1x12 (a single 12" speaker) should be sufficient. For practice, I use either a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40 watts, 1x12) or an Mesa Dual Rec through a 1x12 (50 watt mode), and it's more than enough to keep up with an aggressive drummer without going much beyond 3-5 on the volume knob.

when you play a tube amp, you'll most likely be amazed at what you've been missing.

That's cool Yeah hopefully I will be surprised at the sound I get from it.
Would you be happy to gig with either of those amps?

Rate This Thread: