Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
iElle

Nirvana and Red Hot, how to conciliate?

Hi! I'm new to the forum and this is my second post. It's been almost a year I play guitar(which is actually an Epiphone Les Paul special II with lots of problems on the fretboard(6th and 5th string buzz). I think it's time to change my guitar(or maybe find someone who can setup it) and my guitar amp(which is a Fender Frontman 15R). I play in a band so I need an amplifier with an higher volume.

Budget? - 600 euros

Favorite Artists? - Kurt Cobain , John Frusciante , Chuck Schuldiner, Steve Jones

Preferences? - I would like to have a rosewood fretboard

Pickups? - I don't have any preferences but I think I need a Seymour Duncan JB to get the K.C. Sound

New or Used? - It's the same

Location? - Catania

Current Gear? - I've just got my Epiphone Les Paul Special II white, a Fender Frontman 15R, a BOSS DS-2 , an EHX Small Clone , a ProcoRat Distortion.

I hope to hear your comments soon for a good amplifier too
iElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

If you want a Kurt sound surely you want a Fender Mustang? Mexican for that budget.

Kurt only used the JagStang a few times, he mainly used the Mustang.

If you want a Froosh sound you're looking at a stock MIA Strat, but you'll have to settle for a MiM again unless you can find a really good deal.

Which one is something for you to decide.

Good guitars. Look at their amps too. That's a large part of their sound. Is the 600 Euros including the amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
iElle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
If you want a Kurt sound surely you want a Fender Mustang? Mexican for that budget.

Kurt only used the JagStang a few times, he mainly used the Mustang.

If you want a Froosh sound you're looking at a stock MIA Strat, but you'll have to settle for a MiM again unless you can find a really good deal.

Which one is something for you to decide.

Good guitars. Look at their amps too. That's a large part of their sound. Is the 600 Euros including the amp?

I've 350 euros for the amp, 600 for the guitar.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
ProgFolk12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iElle
I've 350 euros for the amp, 600 for the guitar.

Change those round and you'll do a lot better.

Look for a Fender classic player 50s/60s strat and something Marshall-y for the amp, maybe a DSL401, a Laney VC/GH or the Traynor YCV40 (I think that's the Marshall-y one)
ProgFolk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
adambauman31

spend more on the amp and less on the guitar. probably a MIM strat would be good for cobain and rhcp and put the rest into an amp. A Fender Hot rod deluxe could be a good fit.
adambauman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

the hot rod deluxe sounds good but youd need a solid ds/od pedal, mim strat is a good shout too

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

Also consider looking at Godin or G&L "Strats"- great instruments that deliver the same kind of quality you'd expect from a Fender...and sometimes more. In addition, if you are willing to go used, you might be able to find a better deal, since neither of those brands holds their value as well in the used market as does Fender. Just this month, I've played a couple of used Godins that were in flawless condition: both were under $450, and each started off as over $900 new.

Both companies also make several models that have a HSS configuration, which might get you closer to the sounds you're looking for.

I would also suggest looking at those Fender Blacktops that have the bridge HB and the P-90 in the neck.

As for the Fender HRD, I have one: awesome cleans, but you really would want some kind of good distortion pedal.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-06-2012 at 12:48 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
<3beat

Sounds like you need a HSS strat + Marshally amp!

My Godin Velocity is perfect for that (high output HB (Sh-5) in the bridge and single coils in neck and middle). The SH5 sounds a little thin on this guitar, but that's exactly why i love it. Sounds kind of like a P90, but with some OD it's fat again!

As other have said, i'd spend less on the guitar (400 gets you a nice used axed) and more on an amp.
<3beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz

The 2 Godins I played were a Velocity (HSS) and a Progression (SSS).

Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
<3beat

I played a Velocity (which I own) and a Progresion (very similar guitar, but SSS and slightly thicker neck). Both briliant instruments. Was the progression available when i bought my guitar I would have chosen that one, based on my preferences.

But I would choose a Velocity (or any HSS strat you can find for 400ish) if I was TS.
<3beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3beat
I played a Velocity (which I own) and a Progresion (very similar guitar, but SSS and slightly thicker neck). Both briliant instruments. Was the progression available when i bought my guitar I would have chosen that one, based on my preferences.

But I would choose a Velocity (or any HSS strat you can find for 400ish) if I was TS.

If you're in the market, check GC's used section online- they're swimming in Godins at the moment...including that pristine Progression I mentioned.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #12
deadsmileyface
Banned

I suggest a MIM Strat. Cobain used those alot live. You get the power of humbuckers for some Nirvana and singlecoils for Froosh and other Nirvana stuff. Your pedals are perfect, but definitely invest a better amp. I suggest you spend at least 600 euros on the amp. You should be able to snatch up a good used Fender Twin Reverb if you search hard enough.
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
JustRooster
Organ Donor

You can easily find a used MIM Stratocaster for 350 Euro. John plays them exclusively, and Kurt played them quite a lot. Most of Bleach was recorded on a Stratocaster.

600 will also find you a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Those amps are great workhorses for small gigs or studio work. I recorded with mine to this day despite having bigger amps.

A Strat into a Deluxe is the best sub-$1000 rig around.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
iElle

In the local store near my town I can get:

- Roland Cube 80 XL used 300 euro without footswitch
- Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 used with footswitch 350 euros
- Fender Pro 185 used with footswitch 350 euros

For other amps I need to look online, do you think one of these could be good for me?

For the guitars I haven't checked on the local store but online:

Fender Stratocaster HSS MIJ '94 450 euros
Fender Stratocaster MIM SSS 350 euros
Fender Jaguar MIJ '94 520 euros
Fender Mustang Kurt Cobain Signature 650 euro

All these guitars are used.
I hope you can help me to choose the more convenient for me
Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Fender Stratocaster HSS MIJ '94 450 euros
Fender Stratocaster MIM SSS 350 euros
Fender Jaguar MIJ '94 520 euros
Fender Mustang Kurt Cobain Signature 650 euro

Of those, I'd go with the Fender.

To my eyes, the Strat is the one that gets you the sounds & tonal flexibility you'd want.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

The japanese strat will be absolutely amazing, go for that. For the amp, avoid the cube, you can do much better. no experience with the other two though.
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
meatjesus

Squier as some new models, jaguar, jazzmaster and mustang. The truth is that the actual guitar you play won't make all much difference, cause you can always experiment with your amp/pedals/guitar knobs and get a similar sound to how you want it to sound.

Anyways, kurt and frusciante both played jaguars at a poin (even though kurt's was modified). What i would do is get the mid 2012 squier vintage modified jaguar, which is around 300 euros, and spend the other 300 on modding it to what you want it to sound.
BUT MORE IMPORTANT, play the guitar before you buy it, just because your idols like the way it feels, it doesn't mean you will feel the same.

Relating to the amp, you might want to reconsider your budget and maybe go for a used, more expensive amp. You can't ever go worng with a fender from the deluxe series, a valved vox or a valved marshall (you can get these around 500 euros, used).
The amp will have much more influence in your sound than the guitar will, remember that, and to try everything before you buy it.

FINAL NOTE: maybe you should invest more in the amp than in the guitar
meatjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
JAHellraiser

Definitely go for the HSS Strat if its in good condition. Frusciante is more of a single coil player, with occasional humbucker, and Kurt was mainly a humbucker guy I believe. Plus with the humbucker you'll be able to play stuff that is a bit heavier if you so choose.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
Robbgnarly

Kurt mostly used a strat partscaster with a HB in the brige. He played Fender amps for the biggest part of his career. He also used a boss DS-1.
Frusciante is a strat guy and he uses fender amps for the most part for his cleans.

A Hss strat would work just fine. The sss strat would work, but you'd probably want to put a single coil sized HB in it. MIJ strats are normally pretty nice, my friend traded an American Standard for his MIJ strat.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
dannyalcatraz

FWIW, the G&L Tribute Legacy HB Standard and the Godin Session- both HSS "Strats"- are available new for under €500.

Rate This Thread: