Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
dmbb1239
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Cool ill try it!
dmbb1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #22
dmbb1239
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
no luck

so its hardware then?
What could it be?
dmbb1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
Bair
UG Fanatic
 
Bair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London Ontario
If the CMOS reset doesnt work you could have a curropt graphics driver. They're easy to update or unistall and reinstall
__________________
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #24
Ian_the_fox
Banned
 
Ian_the_fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA
Before screwing with the CMOS, let me ask a few questions on this (I'm a tech):


When you start it up, do you still hear the startup sound through your speakers? Any beeps from the tower? Normally when you start your machine up does it give a single beep?


From the sounds of it it could either be the CMOS battery or even the CPU (yes this will effect video). You're screwed if it's the latter.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian
 
TheChaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbb1239
it has a built in ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics card. (which im assuming im using)
what are cmos?

By built in, do you mean it was already in the computer when you bought it, or do you mean it is integrated?
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #26
dmbb1239
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
so it didnt work. Is it the graphics card then?
dmbb1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #27
dmbb1239
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
it was in the computer when i bought it

@Ian
I do not here a beep when i start it now
dmbb1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #28
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian
 
TheChaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbb1239
it was in the computer when i bought it

@Ian
I do not here a beep when i start it now

So you might need a new graphics card.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
Ian_the_fox
Banned
 
Ian_the_fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA
It's an integrated GPU, apparently.


It could also be a CPU issue. Generally it's not common that CPU's fail, but these symptoms show when it does happen. Though getting ahold of a known good CPU of the same form factor to test is most likely impossible.

And if it's the GPU that's the problem, you're screwed since it's integrated. You're probably better of buying (or building) a new desktop, as replacing motherboards in proprietary HP desktops is hell. This is why custom building your own PC is always better.


You also need to answer me if any sound comes from the speakers when you start it up. This will answer if it's the GPU or something else causing the problem.

Last edited by Ian_the_fox : 11-07-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #30
Bair
UG Fanatic
 
Bair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London Ontario
This could be a ton of things. I've repaired a ton of PCs over the years and getting no display doesn't nessesarily mean its a GPU problem. A bad stick of RAM can cause this, you could try swapping them if there are 2 into different bays or if theres only one move it to another bay.
__________________
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #31
dmbb1239
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
@Ian there is no sound now
the only sounds I usually get are when I get to the login page.
dmbb1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #32
Bair
UG Fanatic
 
Bair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
It's an integrated GPU, apparently.


It could also be a CPU issue. Generally it's not common that CPU's fail, but these symptoms show when it does happen. Though getting ahold of a known good CPU of the same form factor to test is most likely impossible.

And if it's the GPU that's the problem, you're screwed since it's integrated. You're probably better of buying (or building) a new desktop, as replacing motherboards in proprietary HP desktops is hell. This is why custom building your own PC is always better.


You also need to answer me if any sound comes from the speakers when you start it up. This will answer if it's the GPU or something else causing the problem.


Why would he be screwed? He could just add a new PCI graphics card and disable the integrated one.
__________________
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #33
Ian_the_fox
Banned
 
Ian_the_fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbb1239
@Ian there is no sound now
the only sounds I usually get are when I get to the login page.
So there's no sound whatsoever at this point? In that case, it's not the GPU that's causing the problem.

As Blair said, it could also be the RAM causing an issue. If you can get a few good sticks of the same type to test with, swap them and see what happens. If no luck, it could be your CPU. It doesn't make any sense that it would just be your GPU if you're not getting anything from the speakers.

Always work from least complex to most complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bair
Why would he be screwed? He could just add a new PCI graphics card and disable the integrated one.
Proprietary HP motherboards are really screwy when it comes to integrated GPU's and PCI/PCIe GPU's. Like they won't show anything until the integrated is fully disabled, which you can't do if you can't see anything.

That's how it was with my 10yo HP Pavilion when I put a new card in it 5 years ago (which I would later take out as I've now turned it into my recording PC). It's probably not the same now.

Last edited by Ian_the_fox : 11-07-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #34
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Get a furry to fix it for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #35
Harvey Swick
UGs Token Native American
 
Harvey Swick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: A Land Of Bitter Desperation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Get a furry to fix it for you.

his tower probably just needs a good yiffing.
__________________
show
Harvey Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #36
Bair
UG Fanatic
 
Bair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
So there's no sound whatsoever at this point? In that case, it's not the GPU that's causing the problem.

As Blair said, it could also be the RAM causing an issue. If you can get a few good sticks of the same type to test with, swap them and see what happens. If no luck, it could be your CPU.

Always work from least complex to most complex.


Yup, strip it down to a CPU, GPU and one stick of RAM.....everything else disconnected. If you get it to POST then great......add one component at a time (hard drive, DVD drive...etc) until it wont post and ull know which is the problem
__________________
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #37
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Swick
his tower probably just needs a good yiffing.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #38
Ian_the_fox
Banned
 
Ian_the_fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Swick
his tower probably just needs a good yiffing.
Now that I think of it, how cool would it be to own a giant computer monitor with a built-in strategically placed fleshlight built into the screen so when you're watching porn, it's almost like you're interacting with it.

Like, instead of just watching porn, it'd be like you're "part" of it. Eh? I bet the Japanese could pull it off, like they did with that sex robot. Samsung, Mitsubishi, you guys can pull it off.


Ah hell, it would probably be more effective to just hire a hooker. Or just get a real hot girlfriend, for free. More work, but free. And good.


Sorry for the off topic post, but yeah. Random thought that came to mind.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #39
Harvey Swick
UGs Token Native American
 
Harvey Swick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: A Land Of Bitter Desperation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Now that I think of it, how cool would it be to own a giant computer monitor with a built-in strategically placed fleshlight built into the screen so when you're watching porn, it's almost like you're interacting with it.

but i bet you would get a lot of buildup unless you could detach certain parts for a cleaning.
if there was a leak into other components of the computer it could lend a new meaning to the word "download".
__________________
show
Harvey Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #40
Bair
UG Fanatic
 
Bair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Ah hell, it would probably be more effective to just hire a hooker. Or just get a real hot girlfriend, for free. More work, but free. And good.


Girlfriends are FAR from free. FAR

EDIT: This poor guys PC is never gonna get fixed now hahaha
__________________
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.