User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

International

Quote:
If I had these when I was 11 it would have lasted a lot longer than it did and could have been a lot worse. I am very wary of allowing my kids to use headphones, and especially if they play guitar and really get into it.

Good point! Tinnitus is no joke. However, unless I miss my guess, a lot of amps have headphone jacks, so the issue still exists...

While I didn't have that option at age 11, I did have an early generation Sony Walkman. I also had a Mom who was a music teacher.

So I didn't have any issues with my hearing at all until after I started going to concerts. I did get those foam rubber earplugs, but didn't like the way they muffled sound. So I invested in rifleman plugs which- almost like a compression pedal- knock out the high dB stuff while allowing you to hear dynamics. The next step up from those would be the ones the pro musicians use.

The reasons I suggested the over the ear headphones were twofold:

1) they will simply sound better

2) by blocking out some of the background noises of the environment, they reduce the volume at which one would play to be heard above them.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Then with the remaining money, you can invest in an amp. The Peavey Vypyr 30 would be a good starter guitar, as would a Roland Cube. If cleans and high gain (metal) distortion are the most important to your son, get the Cube. For everything else, get the Vypyr.

Seems he likes the Stones, Zepp, etc, so I think the Vyrpr would be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #23
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Good point! Tinnitus is no joke. However, unless I miss my guess, a lot of amps have headphone jacks, so the issue still exists...

While I didn't have that option at age 11, I did have an early generation Sony Walkman. I also had a Mom who was a music teacher.

So I didn't have any issues with my hearing at all until after I started going to concerts. I did get those foam rubber earplugs, but didn't like the way they muffled sound. So I invested in rifleman plugs which- almost like a compression pedal- knock out the high dB stuff while allowing you to hear dynamics. The next step up from those would be the ones the pro musicians use.

The reasons I suggested the over the ear headphones were twofold:

1) they will simply sound better

2) by blocking out some of the background noises of the environment, they reduce the volume at which one would play to be heard above them.

I totally agree with you. I just wanted to raise the issue is all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I totally agree with you. I just wanted to raise the issue is all

Oh, I got ya- I was just stunned: this is the first time I've seen anyone bring it up on this site n all my years here. Kudos to you for your eye on responsible axe-wielding!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #25
JuJuRam

Talking

Thanks so much for all this help! And thanks for the 'awesome mum' comments too...I'm thrilled!
JuJuRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #26
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJuRam
Thanks again for additional helpful information...Huge Guy - yes he does have specific models in mind...a lot of them....and he talks very fast about these in a language I don't understand...lol. I can hardly get a look in on my laptop cos he's always looking at guitars online.

Just bear in mind that a lot of his "knowledge" will simply be stuff he's recycling off of the internet so it may well be inaccurate, I'm sure he's got an idea in his head of what he wants but realistically at his age and more importantly with his lack of experience he really doesn't have a clue - so don't be afraid of buying him something that's "wrong" because quite frankly you can't.

I've no doubt he'll be going on about things like pickups and specs and have a seemingly encyclopediaic knowledge of such things but without actual experience of what those factors actually mean it a practical sense it really is kind of moot. Best thing IMO is to either get him an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Custom, basing your choice on obviously budget, but also on looks - try and get an idea of the finishes he likes, he might prefer black over a flamed maple top for example, or if he's got a favourite guitarist who plays a Les Paul he might want one that looks similar.

Like Dave said, having something you actually WANT to play and be seen with is a massive factor in motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #27
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

What he really needs is a Jaguar with a short scale neck...

Na, If he wants a Paul, get him a Paul. When I happened to be 10, my parents bought me my first guitar. An Epi Les Paul Special II.

I didnt attempt to even play it for 4-5 years. What a mistake looking back. But, like its been said, a Guitar that looks good, will inspire him to play.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
What he really needs is a Jaguar with a short scale neck...

Probably good you brought this up, as there's even a short-scale Epi Paul out there.

I've never played those but I did get my 4-year-old a half-scale acoustic and it's more a toy than anything else. It can be tuned but it only sounds right with open strings as the frets aren't even placed properly.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #29
PsiGuy60
UG's Least Wanted

Do you want it to be a surprise?

Because if you don't particularly care about surprise you could just take him to a guitar store.
He himself will know best what he wants to play.

You would need an amplifier though, a 15 watt modeling amp is more than enough for home use and they come really cheap.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Just bear in mind that a lot of his "knowledge" will simply be stuff he's recycling off of the internet so it may well be inaccurate, I'm sure he's got an idea in his head of what he wants but realistically at his age and more importantly with his lack of experience he really doesn't have a clue - so don't be afraid of buying him something that's "wrong" because quite frankly you can't.

I've no doubt he'll be going on about things like pickups and specs and have a seemingly encyclopediaic knowledge of such things but without actual experience of what those factors actually mean it a practical sense it really is kind of moot. Best thing IMO is to either get him an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Custom, basing your choice on obviously budget, but also on looks - try and get an idea of the finishes he likes, he might prefer black over a flamed maple top for example, or if he's got a favourite guitarist who plays a Les Paul he might want one that looks similar.

Like Dave said, having something you actually WANT to play and be seen with is a massive factor in motivation.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #31
LK_revival

I say buy the best possible guitar you can afford and let him make the choice which one. A guitar is a personal thing, and him deciding what kind will inspire him even more.

Quality matters in inspiration also, a hard to play bad sounding guitar is not fun or inspiring.

It may be a phase, or he may still be obsessed with guitar 30 years later (like me). You can't tell that future but a good guitar will make him want to continue more.

A good used quality guitar is better (usually) than a new one lacking quality. If he is into the Les Paul style a Epiphone seems like a good choice compared to a real Gibson which is generally top of the like expensive.

LK_revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #32
JAHellraiser

If I were you I'd take him to a store to find what he feels comfortable with. That will be the most important factor right now. Obviously, don't be swayed into believing that he really feels like the $10,000 guitar feels better than the $500 one, but at the same time don't completely try to cheap out by getting something thats only $100.

Also, I'd suggest getting him an amp instead of something to solely plug his headphones into and play. I know for me personally, a 19 year old, playing with headphones on is no fun, so I doubt an 11 year old is going to enjoy it much.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Nothing wrong with an Epi Standard as an affordable LP. I would shy away totally though from LP100s or Special IIs. Basically they are barely starter guitars and for someone who already plays guitar, he'd be past those.
On the Custom LP, well it's more money for no more guitar really, the difference is purely in the looks not features. If he wants Black vs Burst finish an Epi STD can be had in balck for less than the Epi burst finish.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #34
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Lets put a fine point on it: what is your budget for this (AWESOME! ) gift for your young'n?

Old 11-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #35
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

I assume he's big enough at 11 to get a full-sized instrument? I dunno, I didn't start playing till I was 18 or 19

A full size should be fine, unless he's a smaller fellow. I started learning at his age over five years ago. At that age, he probably will grow fast too.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #36
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard + Roland Microcube. That's a classic. They were my first guitar and amp and worked well. Also buy a better cable. The one that comes with the guitar is crap.

Microcube works with batteries or a 9V power supply. It has six different sounds, six built in effects, very portable. There's a headphone output and the amp is just 2 watts so it's not that loud. It's a great practice amp and he might find a use for it even after he has a better and bigger amp because of its portability. You can take it with you anywhere you want and play through it anywhere you want because of the battery option.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 11-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffelz
A full size should be fine, unless he's a smaller fellow. I started learning at his age over five years ago. At that age, he probably will grow fast too.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #38
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

This might be repeat advice, but oh well, I don't feel like reading everything posted :p

I would let him play around with them at the music store, and find one he likes! I wouldn't spend more than about 500 on an instrument for a kid that young though, unless you guys have free cash. Epiphones are very good guitars, and I think they're probably about the best in that price range. The most important factor is that he likes the guitar though.

As for an amp, people here will bash them but Line 6 modelling amps are good if he wants a range of sounds and you don't want to spend a lot.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #39
deathbycontrol
*insert awesome here*

This was my first guitar, it's actually not bad. It sounds pretty good for just about anything.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

And they even sell it with goodies!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...tar-player-pack
deathbycontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #40
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealUnrealRob
This might be repeat advice, but oh well, I don't feel like reading everything posted :p

I would let him play around with them at the music store, and find one he likes! I wouldn't spend more than about 500 on an instrument for a kid that young though, unless you guys have free cash. Epiphones are very good guitars, and I think they're probably about the best in that price range. The most important factor is that he likes the guitar though.

As for an amp, people here will bash them but Line 6 modelling amps are good if he wants a range of sounds and you don't want to spend a lot.

There are better modelers than Line 6 Spider for the same price (and less). And all of them have a great range of sounds and effects and stuff. Roland Microcube gets my vote.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: