Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
jkielq91

Affordable wah

Hi, I want a wah pedal, but am on a budget, lets say under 70.

This price includes some good amps from some leading brands like Jim Dunlop, Vox and Morley.

Here is what Andertons has in that price range, just so that you can see.

30-50

http://music.andertons.co.uk/search...&nodet=1#page-1

50-70

http://music.andertons.co.uk/search...&nodet=1#page-1

What what are the best ones?

I want a wah that is solid and well build, reliable and strong enough to handle stage use.

The sounds I like wah wise are the classic rock and blues orientated ones. Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Bonamassa, Slash.

Voodoo Child.

I'v looked mainly at the Vox V845.

A second question I'd like to ask is:

How good and worth the money are the affordable end multi effects units like the Vox Tonelab? For gigging and recording.

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
chatterbox272

With multi's it really is a matter of preference, and it depends on what you would be willing to spend on individual pedals. e.g. if you needed a phaser, chorus, wah, compressor, overdrive/distortion, fuzz, DI box, noise gate, and volume pedal and needed to get all that under $400 new I would say multi all the way, simply because you would likely be getting some pretty crappy pedals if you were to try get those individually.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
andrerist
schecterguy

i'd go for the dunlop. i just prefer them over vox wah's but thats purely preference. if you want complete versatility, save up a little more and get the 535q by dunlop. i have one and its pretty customizable to get the tone your after.

otherwise, the crybaby classic is the way to go
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
austinblair

Don't know European prices, but check out the Morley Tremonti wah, it's only about 100 bucks american, and is a very good pedal.
austinblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

You're going to get a lot of different opinions here. Everybody has their preference when it comes to wah. I constiantly struggle to find a wah that I'm happy with.

My best advice to you, is to go to a local shop, and try everything that they have in your price range and buy the one you like best!

I will admit, I really like the vox wah. My only complaint, is that the few I have tried, have been super noisy! Thats the only reason why I don't own one.

Now, about the mulit effects unit... In my opinion, I wouldn't touch one with a 10' poll I owend a gnx3000, I'll admit it actually had one of the best sounding wahs that I've ever heard, but it completly ruined my amps tone! I find that the amp modelling just isnt the same as the real deal.

My advice would be to stay away from them, and stick with indivudal stompboxes. But hey, if its what you're into, by all means, go for it!

I hope that helps!
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
deadsmileyface
u*(wot/m8)

Try an EHX Crying Tone Wah. They're indestructible and they sound great. Totally within your budget.
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
Try an EHX Crying Tone Wah. They're indestructible and they sound great. Totally within your budget.

This actully looks pretty interensting! No moving parts = no noise! I'm gonna have to try one of these out.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
jkielq91

I watched Rob Chapman's review of the EHX and he found a lot of issues with it, and they sound like things that would irritate me.

I dont really have a local shop good for trying pedals. They just never seem to have the stock apart from the odd things here and there.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
ne14t

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrerist
i'd go for the dunlop. i just prefer them over vox wah's but thats purely preference. if you want complete versatility, save up a little more and get the 535q by dunlop. i have one and its pretty customizable to get the tone your after.

otherwise, the crybaby classic is the way to go

This, both of these are great as the Classic is what the majority of the players you mentioned used or for the most part is the one a lot of signature wah's are based on before they are tweaked, very nice pedals and like all dunlop stuff almost bombproof, there was a thread about one that needed its first servicing after 12 years, earlier servicing of the pots and inductor is quite common, depending on usage.

I have personally owned a Dunlop Crybaby From Hell for the last two years, walked into my local music store they had an open box one on sale for $99 havent looked back since. Its based of the 535Q but tweaked for Dimebag and I swear hands down its the most versatile wah pedal ever, so much control over the tone and Q range its nuts.

As for multi-fx boards its hit or miss, the big dollar units are pretty darn good these days, but as a previous poster mentioned the destroy the natural tube amp tone, but if your running direct into a PA, recording interface or SS amp they are pretty damn good. I tried out the digital phase a couple years back with a Fender Mustang 3 and a Line 6 POD XT Floor, I can't remember the exact name but it was either the flagship or second best floorboard Line 6 was offering, basically what the HD500 is now. It wasn't utterly horrible, then again it wasn't exactly the same as having a JCM800 full stack cranked in my house either, so there is pro's and con's.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
jkielq91

Thanks for the tips every one.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
monwobobbo

i use a Morley classic wah for my hendrix stuff. works well .
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
MultiM

try looking for ibanez one's they're not famous and I haven't tried one but If you're going cheap there's a weeping demon junior one for cheap, chris broderick of megadeth uses the normal weeping demon and kirk hammett uses his signature wah from dunlop but I repeat I haven't tried any of those so don't base an opinion on that I'm just saying
MultiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

buy a used crybaby. that way when you want to get something better you can sell it for the price you bought it for.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I bought my Morley PWA off ebay for $20. Granted it was faulty but 5 mins resoldering the joints on the board and it was as good as new.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
andrerist
schecterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkielq91
I watched Rob Chapman's review of the EHX and he found a lot of issues with it, and they sound like things that would irritate me.

I dont really have a local shop good for trying pedals. They just never seem to have the stock apart from the odd things here and there.

i'd think that if you wanted something along the lines of this you'd be better off dropping the cash for the zvex proximity wah. i just dont really trust something like the new EHX one. great concept, but i think its just too new at this point. the xvex one is the same kind of concept as a theramin which has been around forever.

but again, crybaby classic is one of those things that u really can't go wrong with
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....

I have both the Jim Dunlop JH-1 Hendrix wah and the Ibanez WH-10 reissue... both are awesome but I'd go for either a Vox or original Crybaby over the Hendrix wah, and above all I love the shit out of my WH-10... best sounding wah I've come across for what I use it for. I find it to be very smooth transition from heel to toe, unlike every other Dunlop wah I've used where the tone seems to 'stick' at various points across the wah range. WH-10 can be used for just about any style too, it has a depth control as well and is built to last longer than the originals which were made of plastic. Having said that, the circuitboard on mine cracked recently after about 2 years of use due to the location of the circuitboard in the pedal, but a $40 re-soldering service later and it's better than it was new!

EDIT: saw a recommendation of Ibanez weeping demon... those are totally different to the retro WH-10's incase anyone is wondering. I've heard a number of people using weeping demons and to me they sound more like weeping cats... way too fake and metal sounding

Last edited by loop-de-luke : 11-09-2012 at 01:35 AM.
loop-de-luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #17
jkielq91

I checked out a demo of the Ibanez WH-10 0n youtube and it sounds great.

Rate This Thread: