Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Rensa

Jimi Hendrix = Buddy Guy?

For me they are almost the same, everytime i listen to buddy i just hear hendrix with less energy, just listen.

For some reason this is annoying the hell out of me.

Buddy

If you wouldn't see the video the beginning would be 100% hendrix.
Even the singing.

Jimi

I just had to point it out, i'm sure you all know, but every song just sounds the same.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Artemis Entreri
Panned

no.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Iommianity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
no.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to also go with no. Considering their intent is completely different, and the fact that Buddy Guy was already an established bluesman while Jimi was parachuting out of planes for the airforce, no, no, no. How do you hear any of the psychedelic or rock elements Jimi had in his music, let alone the same use of effects or song structures? Buddy Guy is a straight blues player, Jimi had a lot of other things going for him besides that. Hell, even their phrasing is different. I think you need to listen to more blues, sir.

Last edited by Iommianity : 11-08-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Rensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iommianity
Yeah, I'm gonna have to also go with no. Considering their intent is completely different, and the fact that Buddy Guy was already an established bluesman while Jimi was parachuting out of planes for the airforce, no, no, no. How do you hear any of the psychedelic or rock elements Jimi had in his music, let alone the same use of effects or song structures? Buddy Guy is a straight blues player, Jimi had a lot of other things going for him besides that. Hell, even their phrasing is different. I think you need to listen to more blues, sir.

The hammer-ons and the bends just sound so familiar, it seems like he copied alot of his licks.. etc..
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Iommianity

Buddy Guy copied licks from Jimi Hendrix? Do you know how many licks Hendrix 'copied', by the very nature of playing the blues? Yeah. It's a self referential genre.

Plus, there's the fact that Buddy Guy was one of Hendrix's favourite guitarists. Buddy Guy must have time traveled into the future to steal licks from Jimi.

Last edited by Iommianity : 11-08-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Rensa

Quote:
Buddy Guy copied licks from Jimi Hendrix? Do you know how many licks Hendrix 'copied', by the very nature of playing the blues? Yeah. It's a self referential genre.

Plus, there's the fact that Buddy Guy was one of Hendrix's favourite guitarists. Buddy Guy must have time traveled into the future to steal licks from Jimi.

I meant Hendrix copying from Buddy, buddy has some unique licks that other blues guitarists don't use, but Hendrix does. I just think they are similiar.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
rickyvanh

Quote:

This. Jimi idolized Buddy Guy,and I believe they were good friends.Most of the blues players of that era were not in support of Hendrix.They felt his music catered to honkies.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Wayfærer

Well yeah, they both basically always play the same derivative, hippie minor pentatonic/blues licks.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
happysad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfærer
hippie minor pentatonic/blues licks.

Pentatonic and blues scales have nothing to do with being hippie, I'm sorry but I must say that's a ******ed comment really...

Rate This Thread: