User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Advice on a punk/pop punk pick up?

Hey!

(This is also my first forum post I believe, I've been using this website a while and I love it!)

I need advice on what pick up to replace the Fender stock humbucker in the bridge of my Stratocaster. I play stuff like Blink-182, Green Day, AvA, SCANDAL, Fall out boy etc.
I need a good pop punk / punk / alternative rock / garage rock type sound.

I'm using a Fender Mustang 1 amp at the moment, because I need a while to decide on a bigger, and more expensive amp, so that I can have something I'll be content with.

The two pick-ups I'm really debating on getting at the moment, are the Seymour Duncan Invader, and the Seymour Duncan JB. (Although It's apparent that the invader is quite unpopular among lots of people)

I need a good bit of power, a bit of a kick if you will. Which the Invader would be good for. But I'm worried that it's not very versatile, in-case of needing to play something less 'in your face'. I'm sure the Invader would get a good Blink-182 sound, due to Tom having used one n his Strats a while ago. (I prefer the sound of his strats to his Gibson)

I have trouble hearing the Invader's versatility due to any video I see of it being someone playing really heavy, metal or thrash (Which I do NOT play) or someone playing Blink-182 covers, which I know it can play.

However, the JB seems good, but worried about how much of a kick it can give. I've heard the high ends are quite brittle, and in fact I've heard people complain about it for that. But it seems like it can do lots of different styles.

I just need a little advice really. I'm not sure which is best for me, or if there are any others I should consider?

I'd like to hear from someone's experience of the Invader, will it be able to do anything other than really high gain stuff? Thanks!

- Ace
Acechao111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
RadioMuse

A full-size uncovered PAF humbucker in a strat will almost certainly give you what you're looking for almost regardless of the model. In my limited experience with them GFS pickups were spectacular and inexpensive so I'm going to recommend those: GFS Humbuckers @ Guitar Fetish

Any of the "pat" style humbuckers would work (they mean PAF, but are dodging copyright violation). Similarly the VEH Vintage Extra Hot ("Brown Sound" - LOL @ VEH for EVH, :p) would probably work too with the right EQ.

I would stay away from the Invader given your amp. I feel like those require a really good amplifier front-end (preamp circuit) to sound decent. I have a friend that has an old Ibanez 72' Thinline Tele copy that has an invader in it (since before it was his and it's kinda inherited) and it sounds dead through most amps. It sounded decent through my Twin and I'm sure it would be glorious through a JCM 900 or something, but through the Jag 1 you're going to wish you'd done something else.

The JB is always a good choice. I believe my "f****d up" Tele has a JB in the bridge (since it has the SH-2 in the mid and they're often sold together) and it sounds like a wonderful Telecaster/Les Paul hybrid in that position. Which is a really handy tone.

Don't expect a world-breaking change since you're using a modeling amplifier, but it should really help. If nothing else the switch from a single coil (is it?) to a Humbucker in the bridge will go a long way on it's own.

Last edited by RadioMuse : 11-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.
RadioMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that stuff out. Nah I have a humbucker, but it's the Fender stock humbucker, and it isn't amazing.

Reason I though of the JB and the Invader is due to bands I like using them and lots of people recommending them.

I'll have a look at your suggestion now.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
bangbang!!

I've used an Invader for quite some time for this exact style of music. That's what early Blink stuff used as well. It really sounds great for all the crunchy distorted stuff, but the clean isn't too versatile. I mean, you may like it still, but it's not smooth by any means. I'd have a cleaner neck pickup for that stuff. But really, for a great Blink or Green Day sound, you can't go wrong with the Invader.
bangbang!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Yeah I understand that the cleans aren't very good on it. I doubt I'll be playing much, if any clean with it though.

I'm just wandering if it still sounds good when you're not playing full overdriven stuff.

Will it only be able to play heavier, chunkier stuff? or can you tame it a little?

I'll pretty much always be using a decent amount of gain though, no matter what I play.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

I guess a better way to put it is;

Because it's really, a metal pickup, is everything I play with it going to sound heavy and chunky?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I'd just save your money. You won't get much a difference if you're playing through Mustang 1.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Eventually I plan to get a bigger, better amp. But I'm taking my time with that decision.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz

Just a thought- have you considered a HB-sized P-90 in the bridge?

For example, the Bareknuckle Mississippi Queen or Stockholm P-90s* deliver some nice cleans, but can get crunchy when you need them to be. Those- or something like them- could be a good option for tonal flexibility without having to worry as much about them being "too metal."

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ma...ssissippi_queen

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ma...ickup=stockholm

Or maybe a SD P-Rail?
http://www.seymourduncan.com/produc...t/prails_shpr1/

* I'm going to be using a Stockholm in the neck of a HB/P-90 upgrade.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-07-2012 at 05:11 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acechao111
Eventually I plan to get a bigger, better amp. But I'm taking my time with that decision.

if you're doing that, I would stay away from the really polarizing pickups like the Invader. It's not as bad a pickup as some make it out to be, but it definitely is a high-output and compressed sounding pickup. The JB is a little more versatile than the Invader, and it's a standard "good choice upgrade" pickup.

I would also consider:

- Dimarzio Super Distortion: lots of punk guys (especially with heavier tones) have used this pickup. It's not as hot as the SD's, but it's definitely a hot pickup and it's ballsy.
-Dimarzio Tone Zone: this would be my pick if you haven't chosen an amp. It's definitely hot, but it behaves a little more like a PAF than other high-output units. Very clear sounding, but still good dynamic response and it can handle all sorts of other styles.
- Duncan Custom: A lot like the tone Zone, but a bit warmer and smoother sounding. A fairly neutral sounding pickup in the sense that it doesn't colour tone too much. Despite being a neutral sounding pickup, it is a very good pickup and definitely will be a huge improvement over most any stock pickup.

Keep in mind though, that with that amp you really won't hear the benefit of a good pickup. it just isn't going to happen regardless of how good the pickup is. you may be better off getting a better amp first and then tailoring your pickups to it (you're almost buying new tires for a car you don't own- and haven't driven- yet)
Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Fair enough, thanks a lot for that advice, it's definitely more for me to consider. I've seen people be told the same thing with regards to amps online.

Tbh, I'm fairly clueless about amps. Not sure where I'd start. I plan to be gigging eventually, so volume and sturdiness has to be taken into account.

But it's kinda hard to decide on an amp, and I don't get the chance to really try out any amps. It seems like a lot of the bigger amps will be very expensive too.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Fair enough, thanks a lot for that advice, it's definitely more for me to consider. I've seen people be told the same thing with regards to amps online.

Tbh, I'm fairly clueless about amps. Not sure where I'd start. I plan to be gigging eventually, so volume and sturdiness has to be taken into account.

But it's kinda hard to decide on an amp, and I don't get the chance to really try out any amps. It seems like a lot of the bigger amps will be very expensive too.

well, lets start with a few questions:

- What is your amp budget?
- What amps have you tried?
- Which guitarists tone do you like and why?
- What genres do you want to play? What sounds do you need (cleans, distortions)
- Are you willing to go used? If so, where do you live?
- Any good shops around you?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
well, lets start with a few questions:

- What is your amp budget?
- What amps have you tried?
- Which guitarists tone do you like and why?
- What genres do you want to play? What sounds do you need (cleans, distortions)
- Are you willing to go used? If so, where do you live?
- Any good shops around you?

I could be flexible for something that will last me a long time, and will be worth my money. I can save up. I'd make my budget according to how prices go. But I see some crazy expensive amps, like 700£+

I've only tried the Fender Mustang 1, Line6 spider something-or-other, and a really cheap and small practise amp. All small amps.

I like Tom DeLonge's Strat tone in Take of your pants and jacket especially, because it's beefy, but still nice and hot. Nice palm mute sounds, power chords sound nice and big and still nice high ends.
I also like Billy-Joe Armstrong's tone especially in Dookie. It's hard to explain why, it's just a nice sound, great tone. Not as beefy. Check Basket case or Welcome to paradise.
I also like Mami Sasazaki's tone from SCANDAL (Lead guitar, strat), although it's more pop-ish. It's like more of a thin sound, still distorted.
Also like the sound from bands like Anti-Flag, Billy Talent, Sum41, Good charlotte, Some of Simple plan's stuff, and Foo Fighters.

I wanna play things like pop-punk, punk, alternative rock, garage rock, pop rock, that sort of thing. Won't really be playing metal, or things like blues or jazz, or classic rock.
I'll be needing distortion, cleans occasionally (which don't need to be pristine, it's fine if they're quite dirty sounding) sometimes delay for things like Angels & Airwaves. That's pretty much all I use atm.

Yes, so long as I can know it's been treated well, and In south west Wales, UK.

There's one good shop, I know the guy who runs it from visiting for strings, string cleaner, and I bought both my amp and my strat from there. It's not a huge shop but he gets stuff in. He ordered my Fender in from the factory, and made sure it was set up right for me.

Sorry if I waffled a bit too much, just trying to be somewhat thorough for my limited knowledge.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
OP-IVY

Out of the two pups you listed i'd go with the JB. I find that it's alot easier to tame compared to the Invader, which i found to be way too much.

Another thing to consider is that alot of the guys you listed have spent thousands of pounds on the backline. And what you're hearing on the albums(especially Dookie), is multi tracked guitars. Youre not going to be able to achieve those tones with the Mustang 1.

Take your guitar and try some mesa's or marshalls or whatever, I think you'll be suprised about how much better It'll sound with the stock pickup.
OP-IVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
I could be flexible for something that will last me a long time, and will be worth my money. I can save up. I'd make my budget according to how prices go. But I see some crazy expensive amps, like 700£+

I've only tried the Fender Mustang 1, Line6 spider something-or-other, and a really cheap and small practise amp. All small amps.

I like Tom DeLonge's Strat tone in Take of your pants and jacket especially, because it's beefy, but still nice and hot. Nice palm mute sounds, power chords sound nice and big and still nice high ends.
I also like Billy-Joe Armstrong's tone especially in Dookie. It's hard to explain why, it's just a nice sound, great tone. Not as beefy. Check Basket case or Welcome to paradise.
I also like Mami Sasazaki's tone from SCANDAL (Lead guitar, strat), although it's more pop-ish. It's like more of a thin sound, still distorted.
Also like the sound from bands like Anti-Flag, Billy Talent, Sum41, Good charlotte, Some of Simple plan's stuff, and Foo Fighters.

I wanna play things like pop-punk, punk, alternative rock, garage rock, pop rock, that sort of thing. Won't really be playing metal, or things like blues or jazz, or classic rock.
I'll be needing distortion, cleans occasionally (which don't need to be pristine, it's fine if they're quite dirty sounding) sometimes delay for things like Angels & Airwaves. That's pretty much all I use atm.

Yes, so long as I can know it's been treated well, and In south west Wales, UK.

There's one good shop, I know the guy who runs it from visiting for strings, string cleaner, and I bought both my amp and my strat from there. It's not a huge shop but he gets stuff in. He ordered my Fender in from the factory, and made sure it was set up right for me.

Sorry if I waffled a bit too much, just trying to be somewhat thorough for my limited knowledge.

700 GBP isn't an expensive amp. many of us here have paid 5-10 times that...

anyways, considering what you've stated, here are some ideas:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_a...a5012_combo.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_val...tarrencombo.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_lc30112n.htm

also keep your eyes peeled for a used Bad Cat Cougar 50 or a used Orange TH30 combo.

obviously, there are many more amps out there, but these are good places to start. check out on-line review (better yet, try them in person) and see what you think.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
700 GBP isn't an expensive amp. many of us here have paid 5-10 times that...

"Many?"

What amps are "many people" on UG buying for £3500-7000?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

a few of us... sorry.

think about a mesa halfstack though- it's not uncommon and it's pretty close to that sort of money.

somebody with a diezel or Engl rig has easily spent as much on their amp as some of us will on a car (actually, my amp is worth double what my truck is...)
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Quote:
The mesa boogie triple rectifier and lots of studio processing have way more to do with that sound than the pickup.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
a few of us... sorry.

OK- that's cool.

I was trying to rectify all the threads I've seen on UG with people looking for guitars under $500 with the concept of a bunch of them playing through $11,000 amps!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
Sinfinity000

Try either a Gibson P-94 or a Dirty Finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake1221
I just keep listening to her voice in hopes that one day it'll have sex with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyVengeance
This one time, a dude touched my junk.

I immediately came and started farting.
Sinfinity000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: