Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Nervouspace

Recording all in one take vs recording part by part

Hey all,

Haven't posted here in awhile and I had a question thats been bothering for some time.

I'm trying to take my guitar recordings more seriously now and up to this point
I haven't played my songs all in one take. I record intro, Verse...then loop that, or chorus part then loop that. Mostly because alot of the guitar parts are really hard and I screw up too often during the recording process.

Is there anything wrong with recording part by part and then looping? whats the difference between that and recording all in one take?

Thanks for reading this! I really appreciate it

-John
Nervouspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Heres the number 1 tip I can give, there are no rules with recording. Do whatever works best for you & lets you get the results you need.

Typically, I record each section on different tracks. I'll have all the chorus parts on one audio track, all the verses on one & other parts on their respective ones. It helps me later in the mix process when say I want guitars louder in the chorus but quieter in the verse or whatever. I prefer recording different takes from everything over looping since there are those slight differences in dynamics & such that make the subtle differences.

Theres nothing wrong with recording part by part (hell, even larger bands do it), theres nothing wrong with doing it all in one take.

Still, do what you feel works best for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Heres the number 1 tip I can give, there are no rules with recording. Do whatever works best for you & lets you get the results you need.

Typically, I record each section on different tracks. I'll have all the chorus parts on one audio track, all the verses on one & other parts on their respective ones. It helps me later in the mix process when say I want guitars louder in the chorus but quieter in the verse or whatever. I prefer recording different takes from everything over looping since there are those slight differences in dynamics & such that make the subtle differences.

Theres nothing wrong with recording part by part (hell, even larger bands do it), theres nothing wrong with doing it all in one take.

Still, do what you feel works best for you.

This is exactly what I do as well, for excactly the same reason - you often need a different mix for different sections of the song.

It also makes it easier to correct mistakes as you can simply re-record a single verse rather than having to either re-do the whole song or punch in & out without it being noticable in the end product.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
tottsk1

I agree with the above. It also depends on what sound you are after. For metal, you want a super tight performance and that almost to get through a whole song in one take.
tottsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsk1
I agree with the above. It also depends on what sound you are after. For metal, you want a super tight performance and that almost to get through a whole song in one take.

I don't remember who it was here (I think it was Catharsis from back in the day) talked about slip editing when recording metal and how he would even go as far as slipping in millisecond parts to make it super tight. Not sure if I'd go that crazy but for some reason, your post reminded me of that.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
I don't remember who it was here (I think it was Catharsis from back in the day) talked about slip editing when recording metal and how he would even go as far as slipping in millisecond parts to make it super tight. Not sure if I'd go that crazy but for some reason, your post reminded me of that.

Speaking of Ryan, dunno if you've heard but he's decided to close Catharsis Studios now, according to his facebook page for it. Not sure if it's due to less interest/money or because he's moved on to other things though

Edit: Nevermind, went back to check the status about it and he replied to someone later on saying he's 'moving to a bigger and better studio' so I guess he is still in the business!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Nervouspace

Hey Thanks everyone for the reply! I really appreciate the advice

-John
Nervouspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Speaking of Ryan, dunno if you've heard but he's decided to close Catharsis Studios now, according to his facebook page for it. Not sure if it's due to less interest/money or because he's moved on to other things though

Edit: Nevermind, went back to check the status about it and he replied to someone later on saying he's 'moving to a bigger and better studio' so I guess he is still in the business!

Interesting to hear. Glad to hear someone that was once here moved onto something bigger and better.

Rate This Thread: