Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Nervouspace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Recording all in one take vs recording part by part

Hey all,


Haven't posted here in awhile and I had a question thats been bothering for some time.

I'm trying to take my guitar recordings more seriously now and up to this point
I haven't played my songs all in one take. I record intro, Verse...then loop that, or chorus part then loop that. Mostly because alot of the guitar parts are really hard and I screw up too often during the recording process.

Is there anything wrong with recording part by part and then looping? whats the difference between that and recording all in one take?

Thanks for reading this! I really appreciate it

-John
Nervouspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Heres the number 1 tip I can give, there are no rules with recording. Do whatever works best for you & lets you get the results you need.

Typically, I record each section on different tracks. I'll have all the chorus parts on one audio track, all the verses on one & other parts on their respective ones. It helps me later in the mix process when say I want guitars louder in the chorus but quieter in the verse or whatever. I prefer recording different takes from everything over looping since there are those slight differences in dynamics & such that make the subtle differences.

Theres nothing wrong with recording part by part (hell, even larger bands do it), theres nothing wrong with doing it all in one take.

Still, do what you feel works best for you.
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Heres the number 1 tip I can give, there are no rules with recording. Do whatever works best for you & lets you get the results you need.

Typically, I record each section on different tracks. I'll have all the chorus parts on one audio track, all the verses on one & other parts on their respective ones. It helps me later in the mix process when say I want guitars louder in the chorus but quieter in the verse or whatever. I prefer recording different takes from everything over looping since there are those slight differences in dynamics & such that make the subtle differences.

Theres nothing wrong with recording part by part (hell, even larger bands do it), theres nothing wrong with doing it all in one take.

Still, do what you feel works best for you.

This is exactly what I do as well, for excactly the same reason - you often need a different mix for different sections of the song.

It also makes it easier to correct mistakes as you can simply re-record a single verse rather than having to either re-do the whole song or punch in & out without it being noticable in the end product.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
tottsk1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I agree with the above. It also depends on what sound you are after. For metal, you want a super tight performance and that almost to get through a whole song in one take.
tottsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsk1
I agree with the above. It also depends on what sound you are after. For metal, you want a super tight performance and that almost to get through a whole song in one take.


I don't remember who it was here (I think it was Catharsis from back in the day) talked about slip editing when recording metal and how he would even go as far as slipping in millisecond parts to make it super tight. Not sure if I'd go that crazy but for some reason, your post reminded me of that.
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
I don't remember who it was here (I think it was Catharsis from back in the day) talked about slip editing when recording metal and how he would even go as far as slipping in millisecond parts to make it super tight. Not sure if I'd go that crazy but for some reason, your post reminded me of that.

Speaking of Ryan, dunno if you've heard but he's decided to close Catharsis Studios now, according to his facebook page for it. Not sure if it's due to less interest/money or because he's moved on to other things though

Edit: Nevermind, went back to check the status about it and he replied to someone later on saying he's 'moving to a bigger and better studio' so I guess he is still in the business!
__________________
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Nervouspace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Hey Thanks everyone for the reply! I really appreciate the advice


-John
Nervouspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Speaking of Ryan, dunno if you've heard but he's decided to close Catharsis Studios now, according to his facebook page for it. Not sure if it's due to less interest/money or because he's moved on to other things though

Edit: Nevermind, went back to check the status about it and he replied to someone later on saying he's 'moving to a bigger and better studio' so I guess he is still in the business!


Interesting to hear. Glad to hear someone that was once here moved onto something bigger and better.
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.