Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
damienvox

US need rig advice

I have played guitar for six years and i can olay stuff like avenged sevenfold so i aint new at guitar. I play melodic and gothic metal mostly but i also play prog and blue and classical. I have a peavey rage 108 a vox vt120+ and a crate flex wave 120 with a rokstark blackocaster and a schecter damien elite 6 fr lace alumitones on the rokstark and emgs on the schecter. So my queistion is what may be the best combos to make with these to pull of bluesy cleans rush overdrive and avenged sevenfold distortion with these. P.S. I also have a dunlop crybaby a boss mt2 and boss ns2 for my pedals along with floor controllers for both the vox and the crate.
Thanks guys please help me fix this rig up right and give suggestions on what to add.
damienvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Perverockstar69

Sell your guitar amps and we'll help you to get a proper one.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
damienvox

Thanks perverrockstar and i was afraid of that i am a fan of diversity but good tone at the same time i dont need a lot of effects i need a lot of tone if you know what i mean. Im hopeing for thick lows and powerful highs on my distortion and singing bluesy cleans any specific amps that can pull this off or not.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
souperman08

You have three amps that are between "meh" and terrible, in my opinion. What would your budget be if you sold those?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
damienvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman08
You have three amps that are between "meh" and terrible, in my opinion. What would your budget be if you sold those?

If i sold all three along with my money i could push towards a good 2,000$ probally maybe oush it 2500$
Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
damienvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman08

In a side note i find the peavey horrible and the crate workable when i fiddle around my pedal chain just right but it still really aint the best while the vox i find to be quite managable when done right but its a bit of a pain to get truly good tone from it.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Remnest

With that kind of budget you have many options but i think the Peavey JSX would be a good option for you since its a very versatile amp.

I also think the Carvin V3 is relatively versatile so that may be a good option as well.
Remnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
damienvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnest
With that kind of budget you have many options but i think the Peavey JSX would be a good option for you since its a very versatile amp.

I also think the Carvin V3 is relatively versatile so that may be a good option as well.

Thankyou remnest and thanks to all of you i will look into this two amps if any other suggestions please post.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
mespinos
Hamer time

Quote:

O_O If he has 2500 to spend, i certainly would not go near a v3 or jsx. Nothing against those amps but 2500 gets you pretty much gets you into a territory where they can't compete.

What's more important to you, blues, classical, or "rock/metal/avenged sevenfold"?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
damienvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespinos
O_O If he has 2500 to spend, i certainly would not go near a v3 or jsx. Nothing against those amps but 2500 gets you pretty much gets you into a territory where they can't compete.

What's more important to you, blues, classical, or "rock/metal/avenged sevenfold"?

I would like to hit both but i can go more classical and blues amp and add a good overdrive pedal with my metal zone and maybe get more and better results
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
iheartgun
UG's user of common sense

if your gonna drop that much cash on an amp the metal zone should become a paper weight

take a look at:
1. evh 5153
2. egnater vengeance
3. mesa mk series
4. perhaps an axe fx

Guitars
Epiphone 58' explorer(jb/59)
ltd ex-260(emg81/60)
ltd m400nt(t2/liquifire)
78 hondo2 les paul
85 peavey horizon 2

Board
i has pedulz lots of pedulz
iheartgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
damienvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartgun
if your gonna drop that much cash on an amp the metal zone should become a paper weight

take a look at:
1. evh 5153
2. egnater vengeance
3. mesa mk series
4. perhaps an axe fx

Well i use to not have much money till i got my new job ive now had for three months i knew everything about the cheaper stuff cause it was all i could get but now the higher end stuff has opened up to me and i have a lot to sort through.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
damienvox

I am now thinking about the carvin v3 quite alot their for the price i like the style and diversity of the amp and no massive slew of effects i dont want in my tone or maybe a mesa boogie combo. I would like to set up father and get another bluesier guitar along with my budget and hat amp will fit it now i need to pick a good classic sounding guitar something good for playing cream or something. So again thanks guys a lot of insight here i wouldnt have had otherwise. Any of you think 2500$ can pull this off and if yes what are some suggestions to make it all run smooth.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
damienvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienvox
I am now thinking about the carvin v3 quite alot their for the price i like the style and diversity of the amp and no massive slew of effects i dont want in my tone or maybe a mesa boogie combo. I would like to set up father and get another bluesier guitar along with my budget and hat amp will fit it now i need to pick a good classic sounding guitar something good for playing cream or something. So again thanks guys a lot of insight here i wouldnt have had otherwise. Any of you think 2500$ can pull this off and if yes what are some suggestions to make it all run smooth.

P.S. Mesa boogie combo as in a mesa head with boogie cabinet not a cambo amp.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #15
Remnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespinos

Totally understandable but i was trying to factor in the fact that he'll need a cab, some decent pedals or even another guitar. But you are totally right, there are bigger dogs to be had with that kind of budget.

TS if you are set on the V3 i highly recommend getting one of their 2x12 cabs, for the money they are certainly good. If you want something more check out Avatar cabs and get one made for you. The advantage of the avatar cabs is that you can have them put in w/e speaker combo would suit your playing style best.

For blues you could look into the Fender Blues Jr amps they are quite good. You could even check out Carvin's Vintage series, again, they are always a good bang for the buck i ordered a Nomad from them 2 days ago.

I am not as well versed with bluesy guitars but im sure someone could help you in that department. I personally use an Agile semi-hollow Telecaster copy which get me close enough to what i want. But as with all things, people have a different idea of what is good or not.
Remnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #16
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Definitely check out a Mesa Mark IV or V.

Go used. Much more bang for buck, and if you ever want to sell to get something else, you won't take a loss.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #17
damienvox

Quote:
Totally understandable but i was trying to factor in the fact that he'll need a cab, some decent pedals or even another guitar. But you are totally right, there are bigger dogs to be had with that kind of budget.

TS if you are set on the V3 i highly recommend getting one of their 2x12 cabs, for the money they are certainly good. If you want something more check out Avatar cabs and get one made for you. The advantage of the avatar cabs is that you can have them put in w/e speaker combo would suit your playing style best.

For blues you could look into the Fender Blues Jr amps they are quite good. You could even check out Carvin's Vintage series, again, they are always a good bang for the buck i ordered a Nomad from them 2 days ago.

I am not as well versed with bluesy guitars but im sure someone could help you in that department. I personally use an Agile semi-hollow Telecaster copy which get me close enough to what i want. But as with all things, people have a different idea of what is good or not.

Allright taking away funds for a nice bluesy guitar about 1800$ and i like the carvin v3 awesome tone and 1800$ can get me a full stack of it and only sell the oeavey and the crate and keep the valvetronix as a practice amp if any other suggestions please post otherwise thiz could be what i get.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

For a lot of people the V3 is love/hate. Some people swear by them, some say they are crap. Youtube videos can be misleading, because you don't know what kind of miking was used, or post-production work done to tweak the sound. You just have to play them, which is nearly impossible for most people since Carvin is direct order only. They make fantastic guitars. I have a CT-624 that I absolutely adore. However, I wouldn't buy a V3 if I had the kind of budget you have.

An EVH 5150 III would be right up your alley I think. Great cleans, and pretty epic gain channels. Pretty great amp all around.

Also, as offworld said above, a used Mark IV/V would work. They are tweaker amps though, so if you like to just set the amp and glue the knob in place, then they may not be the best choice. LOTS of different ways to set up a Mark, and lots of different sounds in there. I currently have a Mark IV. I like all 3 channels, but I find it pretty hard to get the sound I'm after out of rhythm 2. I've considered selling it and getting a 5150 III, actually.

Check out Avatar cabs, or look for some used cabs. You can usually find pretty good deals on CL depending where you live. A 212 cab is plenty for most people, you don't NEED a 412. Mesa, Orange, and Marshall (1960, not MG series) are all generally pretty awesome cabs in terms of build quality.

I'm sure there are other amps out there that would be great, but it's still quite early and I'm having a hard time concentrating

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
damienvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatan
For a lot of people the V3 is love/hate. Some people swear by them, some say they are crap. Youtube videos can be misleading, because you don't know what kind of miking was used, or post-production work done to tweak the sound. You just have to play them, which is nearly impossible for most people since Carvin is direct order only. They make fantastic guitars. I have a CT-624 that I absolutely adore. However, I wouldn't buy a V3 if I had the kind of budget you have.

An EVH 5150 III would be right up your alley I think. Great cleans, and pretty epic gain channels. Pretty great amp all around.

Also, as offworld said above, a used Mark IV/V would work. They are tweaker amps though, so if you like to just set the amp and glue the knob in place, then they may not be the best choice. LOTS of different ways to set up a Mark, and lots of different sounds in there. I currently have a Mark IV. I like all 3 channels, but I find it pretty hard to get the sound I'm after out of rhythm 2. I've considered selling it and getting a 5150 III, actually.

Check out Avatar cabs, or look for some used cabs. You can usually find pretty good deals on CL depending where you live. A 212 cab is plenty for most people, you don't NEED a 412. Mesa, Orange, and Marshall (1960, not MG series) are all generally pretty awesome cabs in terms of build quality.

I'm sure there are other amps out there that would be great, but it's still quite early and I'm having a hard time concentrating

Well i know someone with a v3 and the mesa and evh amps can be found at my guitar store only solution now is well try them out one by one and decide in the end ill be going around and trying them out hopefully an answer by the end of the day now im just wondering on agood overdrive a better distortion pedal and a bluesy guitar not after the paul to pricy for a good paul or gibson period any alternative suggestions
Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

If you get a good amp you won't really need a distortion pedal. I use a basic TS-9 tubescreamer for OD. Works fine for me, but there are a ton of different OD choices out there. I like my TS-9, but admittedly have never used any of the others. I'm not much of a pedal guy.

What's your guitar budget? Lots of guitars could be "bluesy". A good mexican strat would be something to look at, and can be found for a reasonable price. When I think of blues guitar, the strat is the first guitar that comes to mind.

I've had pretty good experiences with some of the better epiphone LP models as well. I had an Epi LP Ultra that was amazing. Paid $600 brand new, and I actually liked it better than my $1,300 Gibson LP studio. Unfortunately, I sold it so I could buy the Gibson

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: