Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
PluckingGood

Orange micro-terror volume output

I've bought the above amp this past week and although haven't fully tested it out (not wanting to annoy the neighbours), I can't seem to get a massive amount of volume out of it without turning the gain up. Is this normal?

With the guitar at max volume and the amp head at max volume I don't get anywhere near the db I get with gain turned up but that also won't give me a clean sound.

I'm not experienced with amps so could be something really simple. Any advice please.
PluckingGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Perverockstar69

Yep bro, it's normal. You won't get clean loud sound at all, just gain! Turn it up!!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)

Last edited by Perverockstar69 : 11-09-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
PluckingGood

OK thanks.

Do you know if I can plug the 20W amp head in to a bigger cab for louder output if I wanted it? Or does the 20W on the head mean that's the max cab I can plug it in to? Even some of the bigger heads seem to be only 30W but with cabs in the hundreds.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Perverockstar69

You can connect it to a bigger cab indeed, you can plug it to 300w speakers but the amp's max volume will remain the same... Just be sure to match ohms, I know the Micro Terror is not all tube but I'm not sure if a mismatch will damage the amp, so match it!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
PluckingGood

4ohm I think, thought that doesn't mean a lot to me at the moment. Cheers for the answers.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluckingGood
4ohm I think, thought that doesn't mean a lot to me at the moment. Cheers for the answers.

there is a couple ways to max out the clean headroom

your amp has a solid state output, so if you want max output you need to hook it up to cabinet (or set of cabinets) rated for 4 ohms. the more ohms the less output you'll get, but you'll need at least 4 ohms to be safe.

also, speakers have a sensitivity rating which rates their volume output. a speaker with move sensitivity will have more volume output. so if you are using a 97 dB sensitivity speaker then you can get more volume with a 100 dB sensitivity speaker.

you can also use A weight curves to your advantage... meaning certain freqs sound louder to your ear, so a speaker that outputs more volume around 1K Hz will sound louder to your ear.

you can also use projection paths to your advantage. just taking a 1x12 off the floor and raising it to ear level will increase it's perceived loudness.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
PluckingGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
there is a couple ways to max out the clean headroom

your amp has a solid state output, so if you want max output you need to hook it up to cabinet (or set of cabinets) rated for 4 ohms. the more ohms the less output you'll get, but you'll need at least 4 ohms to be safe.

also, speakers have a sensitivity rating which rates their volume output. a speaker with move sensitivity will have more volume output. so if you are using a 97 dB sensitivity speaker then you can get more volume with a 100 dB sensitivity speaker.

you can also use A weight curves to your advantage... meaning certain freqs sound louder to your ear, so a speaker that outputs more volume around 1K Hz will sound louder to your ear.

you can also use projection paths to your advantage. just taking a 1x12 off the floor and raising it to ear level will increase it's perceived loudness.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Perverockstar69

Nice info over there, I forgot CECamp's thread too!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)