Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Lethal Dosage
Break it Down

Writing death metal

I had a specific question on writing death metal. Now I know my death chords and scales and stuff. What I cant seem to get down is the right hand style. Im trying to write originals but when I try playing it usually comes out thrashy which is good too. Im just looking for some picking patterns to get that death metal sound. If this is the wrong section feel free to move it.
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Lethal Dosage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Keth
Contrapunctalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Dosage
I had a specific question on writing death metal. Now I know my death chords and scales and stuff. What I cant seem to get down is the right hand style. Im trying to write originals but when I try playing it usually comes out thrashy which is good too. Im just looking for some picking patterns to get that death metal sound. If this is the wrong section feel free to move it.

Ehh...

There aren't any set picking patterns for death metal (or any other genre for that matter), but tremolo picking is always fine for faster passages.

The best answer of course is, is that you should hear the riffs in your head first, and then play them on the guitar.

Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Do you actually know how to play any death metal songs? That would probably give you a better idea of what's stylistically appropriate than any answer we could give.

Rate This Thread: