Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
sciacallo010

What ibanez should I buy?

First of all I'd like to know how are the Ibanez.
I mean, reading posts in the net I found every kind of opinion on the brand, usually totally different opinions: from the guys pretending Ibanez to be the best guitar you could ever choose, to who thinks that buying an Ibanez would be a total waste of money...who's right?

I found in a shop near my house 4 Ibanez that I like for more or less the same price, in your opinion which one is better between EGEN8, RG920QMZ, RG870QMZ and RG1570Z?

Thanks

Last edited by sciacallo010 : 11-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.
sciacallo010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Supernaut2k
Blackmore Worshipper

RG1570Z probably, but you should pick the one that you like the most.

The only person that can make that judgment on whether it's going to be worth the money is you, since you can try them yourself.

Personally i like Ibanez, they have nice tight quality control for the money, although they aren't as good value as they used to be.
Supernaut2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
ZILtoid_1991

I think RG1570Z would be the best, but it's better if you try it for youself.

Your friend who thinks Ibanez is a waste of money isn't a big Gibson fan? They like to rant on modern guitars, that have useable tremolos, accesable upper frets, etc.
ZILtoid_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
sciacallo010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILtoid_1991
Your friend who thinks Ibanez is a waste of money isn't a big Gibson fan?

Actually I dunno, I know he loves Schecter...he said Ibanez quality is low, but on other sites I read that Ibanez are amazing, so he shouldn't be informed.
I'll surely at least try them.

Why do you think 1570Z is better of, for example, the 920QMZ?
They are very similar but for the slightly different bridge and the pickups. Beacuse the first one is Prestige intead of Premium? I've read that Premium and Prestige quality are very similar if not the same.
How are the 1570Z's pickups? I've never heard them before.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
PsiGuy60
UG's Least Wanted

The EGEN8 is rubbish.
Also yes, Prestige is better than Premium, at least in terms of general build quality. Also, the bridge on Prestige Ibanezes will last longer and hold tuning better than the ones generally found on Premiums and below.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
sciacallo010

Ok thanks, this was one of my greatest doubts about those guitars.
And I was almost sure about the EGEN

Anyway, another doubt, how is the RG1570Z bridge? I've read discordant reviews about it, some pretending it to be better than the OFR and others (again) saying it's disappointing. What's the truth? How is it when palm muting (with the licensed FR I have on one of my actual guitars when I palm mute it always goes out of tune)?

Last edited by sciacallo010 : 11-09-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

other than the EGEN, they're all pretty good. the pickups in the prestige are better, as is the bridge. also, the prestige is a better built guitar.

that being said, I actually bought an 870QMZ maybe 5 months ago. It wasn't quite as good as the prestige I compared it to, but it was- in my mind- good enough for what I needed. The pickups are pretty lousy, but the bridge is actually quite decent even with reasonable abuse. It's all about playing them and seeing if the prestige is worth the extra money for you.

as far as your buddy- to each his own. I don't like schecters. at all. everybody will like or dislike different guitars for different reasons.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Diamondrag
Ibanez93

I've got a Ibanez Premium RG870QMZL. It's an affordable top spec guitar. It's currently used everyday as I'm studying a 3 year music degree and it's gigged often too. I guess you could call it a work horse. I would recommend buying a premium if you want value for money, but it depends on what feels right to you. I've got a friend who prefers Schecter to Ibanez. Just buy what feels comfortable to you
Diamondrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciacallo010
Actually I dunno, I know he loves Schecter...he said Ibanez quality is low, but on other sites I read that Ibanez are amazing, so he shouldn't be informed.
I'll surely at least try them.

I'd smack your friend with a tuna fish for such falsities. Even their non-premium/prestige models are rather nice (the Indonesian made ones). Sure, they're not as good as the Japanese ones, but still good.

The Prestige Ibanezes are great. A lot of pro players use them :P
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
reincarnator

Ibanez has good and bad guitars, just like many other companies.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
reincarnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
kharn_tb

Ibanez makes a very solid guitar so does Schecter. I think what your friend said is a tad wrong through, I just bought one of the lowest end models Ibanez makes and it is very solid, and I've played Schecters of various qualities and both have their ups and downs. If you sit there and look at them you can find a good Ibanez, just like you can any brand, if you buy a model with a good feel/fit for you, you will be happy.

Sorry I can't give model help, they are usually pretty good at the upper end just due to my own preferences I haven't looked at them.
kharn_tb is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: