Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
ZILtoid_1991

Lyrics for dummies

I want to start to write some lyrics for my songs. My biggest problems:
- My first language isn't English but I do want to write in it. I know there some popular artist using their original language (eg. Rammstein, some Japanese rock bands), but still Hungarian isn't a really popular language abroad, and nobody will understand. I don't really like it either.
- I do have some idea for lyrics, but when I sit down for doing it, nothing happens. Also I have a strong fear of what if it's not good (it happens with a lot of things, after a point it disappears).

Some suggestions?
ZILtoid_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
MasonFromMars
Gazing at stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILtoid_1991
I want to start to write some lyrics for my songs. My biggest problems:
- My first language isn't English but I do want to write in it. I know there some popular artist using their original language (eg. Rammstein, some Japanese rock bands), but still Hungarian isn't a really popular language abroad, and nobody will understand. I don't really like it either.
- I do have some idea for lyrics, but when I sit down for doing it, nothing happens. Also I have a strong fear of what if it's not good (it happens with a lot of things, after a point it disappears).

Some suggestions?

I believe that song writing is something people are just born with and can only fine tune it. I don't believe that it is something you can just pick up one day. okay now after that depressing opening I'll give you some tips.

Dedicate a note book just for lyrics, I have a few of them that i've filled up. whenever you think of something whether its a verus or a whole song write it down. I've had times where lines will come to me one day and I'll put it together with a line from weeks ago. Don't stress yourself over song writing, I personally can't force myself to sit down for X amount of time to put out X amount of songs. It's all about my emotions and thoughts at the moment.

It sounds like you're afraid of failure, I to think like this to a certain extent. Van Morrison wrote Brown Eyed Girl as fill song for an album. he doesn't think its that great of a song and from what i've read he doesn't really care too much for it. You might not like something and others may love it. You'll never know unless you put yourself out there.
MasonFromMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Akula KO
Folk Metal is Alive!!!

Well you could write in Hungarian and then worry about making a good sounding translation later on. Basically until your English abilities improve you're a bit limited. Lyrics don't need to be amazingly complex as far as words go. Basic may be better.

Sitting down with the main purpose of writing is bad (for me anyway) because I just think "OK now what". I find it best if you're doing something else like going for a walk or listening to some music or watching a movie or something. It's like... your mind is less pressured to make lyrics so it flows.

As for failure... not everything you come up with will be good. The majority will probably be not worth keeping but that's how it is for everyone. Everyone has to go through the steps of tossing out complete rubbish lyrics. It's just apart of the process but the more you write the more likely you are to create good stuff.

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
Akula KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
8lackie

When one's language is new, it makes you say things in unique ways. I would not let that get away. You may have very interesting twisted ways of expressing yourself because English is not your native tongue. Of course perhaps this is not what you are looking for. Write in your native tongue and run it through Google translator, it may surprise you. I have friends from various parts of the world and they use English in ways that are very surprising and creative. Sometimes they are embarassed, but I'm very impressed how they use the language, because it often times is more poetic and has greater color than if their English was perfect. Only an idea....
8lackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

I'm a huge fan of Puffy (Amiyumi), a J-pop band that broke into the American market a number of years ago, as well as B'z, who did likewise. Both of these bands (and countless others, I'd wager) write their music in their native language, and then either translate the lyrics into English or write a completely different set of English lyrics to the melody when it comes time to release stateside.

One thing that J-pop bands tend to do is use the language "gratuitously", which basically means "tossing in English phrases just for the sake of having them", or because, as 8lackie says, they're being creative. (The B'z have a song called "California Splash". What the hell does that mean?! I don't know, but it sounds cool.) A lot of songs by both bands tend to be bilingual, mostly in their native tongues but peppered with English words and phrases.

If you're not that confident in your English, that might be an approach to take... or just write in your native tongue. A good song is a good song, regardless of whether or not the listener can understand the words. "Dragostea din tei" didn't have an English version that I'm aware of, but it went viral here in the 'States and I'm sure made O-Zone some good money.

Good luck!
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
helltothee
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonStevens
If you're not that confident in your English, that might be an approach to take... or just write in your native tongue. A good song is a good song, regardless of whether or not the listener can understand the words. "Dragostea din tei" didn't have an English version that I'm aware of, but it went viral here in the 'States and I'm sure made O-Zone some good money.

Look how big Gangnam Style is now, that's all in Korean.
"Najeneun ttasaroun inganjeogin yeoja
Keopi hanjanui yeoyureul aneun pumgyeok inneun yeoja
Bami omyeon simjangi tteugeowojineun yeoja
Geureon banjeon inneun yeoja"
A lot less people understand the words, but it became big because they liked the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryingNemo
I saw Satan one day
He looked kinda gay
The bible hates gays
So Satan I shall slay
Amen.
helltothee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: