Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
PluckingGood

Quality Electric Sound

Hi, I'm new here. Been visiting the site for years but never registered :-)

I can play guitar, been playing for many years but never been big on electric; played mostly nylon strung and some acoustic and electro-acoustic.

Really wanting to get in to electric guitar now and recently bought myself an Epiphone Nighthawk with Orange Microterror amp and PPC108 cab.

Although I can play the notes okay I'm not convinced on the sound quality I'm putting out. What sort of things should I look to improve in terms of electric guitars as opposed to just learning to play notes. Currently learning Plug in Baby and pretty much mastered the song but want it to sound better than it does.

I know I can mess about with tone using the dial and the switch and can and can switch between single and humbucker pickups. Then on the amp I can also change the tone and the gain but am not familiar with what all these things really do as I've not had these on most of the guitars I've used before. I also need to learn to use my fingers to actually play electric style rather than what I'm used to. Plectrums I'm sure will also make a difference and I probably need to learn to use one of them but again it's unfamiliar to me.

Tips please :-)
PluckingGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

As far as plectrums vs fingers, there re some pretty epic players out there who either don't use a pick or mix & match as they see fit. Like Jeff Beck.

On tone...well, that's subjective. One thing that is nifty about electrics is that there are so many ways you can tweak your tone its not funny!

Your basic volume & tone controls on your guitar? Fiddle with 'em! Sometimes a change in one or both will yield magical results.

Ditto your amp, but even moreso.

What kind of tone are you looking for?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
PluckingGood

I want something that sounds clean/smooth but at the moment it's too sharp and tinny. I guess I'm playing it like I would play a nylon but the electric is less forgiving. I guess I'm just looking for a "nice" electric sound that I can settle on for a while before starting to add some character and expression.

I'll sit down for a bit tomorrow and try changing one thing at a time to see what my controls actually do.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluckingGood
I want something that sounds clean/smooth but at the moment it's too sharp and tinny. I guess I'm playing it like I would play a nylon but the electric is less forgiving. I guess I'm just looking for a "nice" electric sound that I can settle on for a while before starting to add some character and expression.

I'll sit down for a bit tomorrow and try changing one thing at a time to see what my controls actually do.

that really is the very best thing that you can do. it isn't the most fun procedure, but sitting down and twisting every knob, flipping every switch and pressing every button is the only way to understand your amp. the best place to start is to set your guitars controls full open (volume and tone all the way up), and amp controls (not volume though!) to noon.

just play with everything, you'll get it eventually!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
PluckingGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
that really is the very best thing that you can do. it isn't the most fun procedure, but sitting down and twisting every knob, flipping every switch and pressing every button is the only way to understand your amp. the best place to start is to set your guitars controls full open (volume and tone all the way up), and amp controls (not volume though!) to noon.

just play with everything, you'll get it eventually!

Thanks, will use that as a starting point.

Will also probably stick to using my fingers for now instead of throwing something else in that I'm not used to. I can play much faster with my fingers than a pick but that comes with practice no doubt.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

you are going to need a new amp eventually.

probably pretty soon. the microterror really is just a budget solid state amp.

Rate This Thread: