Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Psy8cho

Budget Recording equipment

Hey guys,

I am thinking of making covers of songs but with a bit better quality then the most on youtube. I own a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120W Combo and I would like to mic it up, I have no previous experience with this. Though I did look up a lot of video's of how to.

Also found out that I need an interface in between to send the signal to my computer.B ut I have no idea what kind of cool stuff there is on the market that I could use...

So now I need a mic and an interface on a budget. And what kind of interface? I read about the onces with the preamps in them in the "Recording Interfaces - A Buyers Guide" thread, but I don't need them right?

Ideally my budget will be 50 euros.... but as with everything I am afraid this will not suffice. Stretching to a 100 will be max though.
So I am asking you guys if this is possible for this budget? And will it be an improvement on the USB-interface allready on the amp?

Learned that the SM57 is the bomb, but too expensive for me

Hope you guys can help me out!
Psy8cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

You're not going to get a good guitar sound micing up without more investment in both audio interface and at LEAST a 57.

So, I'd say just get an interface and download Peavey Revalver HP. It's got all the Peavey amps in it already.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy8cho
Hey guys,

I am thinking of making covers of songs but with a bit better quality then the most on youtube. I own a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120W Combo and I would like to mic it up, I have no previous experience with this. Though I did look up a lot of video's of how to.

Also found out that I need an interface in between to send the signal to my computer.B ut I have no idea what kind of cool stuff there is on the market that I could use...

So now I need a mic and an interface on a budget. And what kind of interface? I read about the onces with the preamps in them in the "Recording Interfaces - A Buyers Guide" thread, but I don't need them right?

Ideally my budget will be 50 euros.... but as with everything I am afraid this will not suffice. Stretching to a 100 will be max though.
So I am asking you guys if this is possible for this budget? And will it be an improvement on the USB-interface allready on the amp?

Learned that the SM57 is the bomb, but too expensive for me

Hope you guys can help me out!

Errr... why wouldn't you need one with a preamp in it? Not sure how you're planning on micing your amp, if you're not planning on having a mic preamp...

50 euro, even 100 isn't going to cut it, sorry, but that's the truth. You're using a 500 euro amp and only want to spend 50 euro on recording it? I guess you could try one of those USB t.bone mics, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews.

You do know the Vypyr has a USB output on it though, right? It's not going to be the greatest sound, but if you can only spend 100 euro, it's probably going to be just as good
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
FaceFive

Buy a beringher XM8500 and a Tascam Us-100 you can afford those so go mic up
FaceFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
I read about the onces with the preamps in them in the "Recording Interfaces - A Buyers Guide" thread, but I don't need them right?

If you didn't need them, why the **** would they be discussed in the thread that tells you what you need?

Until you can afford some of the recommended equipment, do what MatrixClaw said & just use the USB output on your amp.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Psy8cho

Searched it, found it, was confused with the term pre-amp in relation to the sound my vypyr creates in his pre-amp. Got it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
50 euro, even 100 isn't going to cut it, sorry, but that's the truth. You're using a 500 euro amp and only want to spend 50 euro on recording it? I guess you could try one of those USB t.bone mics, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews.

You do know the Vypyr has a USB output on it though, right? It's not going to be the greatest sound, but if you can only spend 100 euro, it's probably going to be just as good

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
You're not going to get a good guitar sound micing up without more investment in both audio interface and at LEAST a 57.

So, I'd say just get an interface and download Peavey Revalver HP. It's got all the Peavey amps in it already.

Hum.. thought so. I checked out that Peavey Revalveer HP on the website, looks really impressive!! I mean editting the electrical scheme's, impressive.
I will look more into the USB-interface already on there and maybe just a interface with that software, thnx for the replies!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

I wouldn't even waste time, effort & money micing a Vypyr & just use amp sims.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
Psy8cho

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
I wouldn't even waste time, effort & money micing a Vypyr & just use amp sims.

I just want to point out that this vypyr is the tube version, so the nice thing about it are the powertubes afterwards to the cabinet that makes it sound better then the normal vypyr“s. Or did you already kept this in mind?

Few questions still:
-where does the USB interface catch the signal? just before it reaches the Power tube section?

-In my budget of 50-100 are there decent guitar- + mic-in audio interfaces(to computer)?

-I've read about things like the Axe Fx, and appart from the other functionalities it has, how does the quality of the amp and effecs modeling compare to software like that one of Peavey, the Revalver? I mean what is the fundamental difference, what can it do that a computer can not? and why? I have trouble finding this distingstion on the web, maybe because it so obvious, but pls tell me

Last edited by Psy8cho : 11-10-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
I just want to point out that this vypyr is the tube version, so the nice thing about it are the powertubes afterwards to the cabinet that makes it sound better then the normal vypyr“s. Or did you already kept this in mind?

Kept in mind but I still wouldn't waste time. I'm not a fan of micing modeling amps as they never sound as good as they could. I've mic'd Vox Valvetronix, the Line 6 Spider Tube series (similar to what you have) and have heard countless clips of the Vypyr's being mic'd and they just don't sound as good as the amp live. A good chunk of it is because the speakers inside are pretty cheap.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Psy8cho

Ok so tried recording through the USB output into Reaper, but when I leave my settings normal the input volume into Reaper is to much. So I dialed down the post gain to almost nothing and then it works perfectly execpt for the part that I loose the sound that I had created before, it sounds a bit muffeled

Anyone experiences with this? a volume filter in Reaper won't work either cuz i just keep hitting the ceiling all the time so loose a lot of my signal...
So I am trying to lower my input volume somehow or output of the vypyr(which I rather not do, cuz I will loose my sound).

Edit:
Fixed: In windows I could reduce the volume of the recording device
However my questions a post ago, are still standing

Edit2:
I found out that I need better headphones.... Because I noticed that my headset won't go as low as my normal speakers of the amp, I just get a muddy sound. So it needs a lot of range so to speak.
I will use it for the headphone out jack on my amp. I also play games and so like to have a microphone, any suggestions? (a spring like chord would be really nice!)
(is it better to make a new thread for this one?)

Edit3:
Is noise suppresion headphones usefull when I want to play along with the music through my speakers while hearing my guitar through my noise suppressed headphones? Will I hear my speakers enough still?

Last edited by Psy8cho : 11-10-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Rate This Thread: