Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
goldfinger69
Soul Throw

Beautiful Chord Progression!

I'm not a much of a theory guy so I need someone to clean this up...

This Minor Chord Progression 1-4-7-3-5 (an example Am - Dm - G - C - Em)
is pretty popular i think.

So .... I've heard a song a few days ago and it was using that chord progression but ... full of 7ths ...It blew my mind ... (Am - Dm7 - G7 - C - E7) ... such a nice weird feeling with the inclusion of 7ths...

Here's the song

Please someone who can break down this for me...

Can I get any popular chord progression and add 7ths ..??

For example where do we add 7ths on this major hit-chord-progression 1-3-6-4 (C-Em-Am-F) ?? I tried to add on Em7 ... sounds weird ... maybe cause is a major Key instead of Minor?

Thank you
goldfinger69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

It' E7. Not Em.

Study harmony and theory and train your ear.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
goldfinger69
Soul Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
It' E7. Not Em.

On which chord progression you are referring? 1st or 2nd ??
Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

1st. Did you transcribe it yourself, or did you get the progression from some other source other than your own ears?

Last edited by mdc : 11-09-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

I do apologize, I read your first post far too quickly.

However, you should still do some further study as I suggested to understand harmonic function.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
goldfinger69
Soul Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
1st. Did you tranbscribe it yourself, or did you get the progression from some other source other than your own ears?

I found the chords and it was with Em (not E) ...Also Am Chord Progression has Em and not E in there ...
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
goldfinger69
Soul Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
I do apologize, I read your first post far too quickly.

However, you should still do some further study as I suggested to understand harmonic function.

Oh no probs... I try to keep playin for fun and not really study music ... 7ths are cool addition .. i just need some easy answers like.. how we add them in a chord progression ... I guess i just add and if they sound right i keep them in my songs :P or steal ready-made chord progressions like a boss!

Last edited by goldfinger69 : 11-09-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
mattrusso

Just take the key you're in and add the diatonic 7th. So for example, in C major the diatonic 7th chords are Cmaj7, D-7, E-7, Fmaj7, G7, A-7, and B-7b5. Obviously, you can go outside diatonic chords, but if you don't know what you're doing it'll probably sound bad. I'd suggest reading up on some harmony just so you can get a firm grasp on this stuff. Here's the basic (!) harmony curriculum from Berklee. It's been revised since this edition came out (1987!) but it should still be mostly the same (especially the more basic stuff).

http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/P...ny/Harmony1.PDF
http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/P...ny/Harmony2.PDF
http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/P...ny/Harmony3.PDF
http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/P...ny/Harmony4.PDF

Note: these books are written for "pop" or "jazz" musicians (I assume you fall under this umbrella). Because of this, the content is different from what you would find in a more classical-oriented "tonal harmony" type book like Kostka and Payne's Tonal Harmony (which I would also recommend reading). However, many of the differences are only in name and some concepts overlap. For example, what Berklee calls a "subV7" or "tritone sub" would be called an "augmented sixth chord" by a classical theorist.

Last edited by mattrusso : 11-09-2012 at 07:01 PM.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
goldfinger69
Soul Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso
Just take the key you're in and add the diatonic 7th. So for example, in C major the diatonic 7th chords are Cmaj7, D-7, E-7, Fmaj7, G7, A-7, and B-7b5. Obviously, you can go outside diatonic chords, but if you don't know what you're doing it'll probably sound bad. I'd suggest reading up on some harmony just so you can get a firm grasp on this stuff. Here's the basic (!) harmony curriculum from Berklee. It's been revised since this edition came out (1987!) but it should still be mostly the same (especially the more basic stuff).

http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/P...ny/Harmony1.PDF
http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/P...ny/Harmony2.PDF
http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/P...ny/Harmony3.PDF
http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/P...ny/Harmony4.PDF

Note: these books are written for "pop" or "jazz" musicians (I assume you fall under this umbrella). Because of this, the content is different from what you would find in a more classical-oriented "tonal harmony" type book like Kostka and Payne's Tonal Harmony (which I would also recommend reading). However, many of the differences are only in name and some concepts overlap. For example, what Berklee calls a "subV7" or "tritone sub" would be called an "augmented sixth chord" by a classical theorist.

Thanks man... I hope i'll find the time to read them.. But i really like experiment and play by ear... It was nice to hear a famous Minor Chord Progression with a different spin with 7ths ... I would love to be able to do that on other popular chord progressions .... thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger69
Oh no probs... I try to keep playin for fun and not really study music ... 7ths are cool addition .. i just need some easy answers like.. how we add them in a chord progression ...

Ok. Well it's your choice.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2279.html
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
shelovemyguitar
The "s" ^ didn't fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc

Wow. **** you man.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
shelovemyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelovemyguitar
Wow. **** you man.

That was a great time to use that. I don't think that saying "**** you" to a guy who is right and trying to help someone is a constructive thing to do...
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

i agree with macashmack -- don't hate on someone with stronger musical sense and a deeper understanding of the machinations of music simply because of your own conscious ignorance and lack of skill.

TS, if you want to be able to do that, you should absolutely familiarize yourself with the conventions of harmony. it's just a matter of adding the diatonic 7th (as matt said) to the chord.

as far as the issue of Em and E, both are acceptable - to make the dominant (5) chord major is extremely common practice in a minor key - it creates the leading tone of the key (in this case, G# to lead back to A). look through the minor key section of your chord chart and try playing V - i, being sure to make all dominant chords major.

the basic idea that mdc is trying to tell you about, though (which i absolutely agree with) is that to be able to do this as second nature, you can't take the mentality that you need easy answers. these are concepts you need to know and (more importantly) understand if you want to be able to utilize them as you please. is that fair to say?

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Wow. **** you man.

He's not your man, buddy!

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
He's not your man, buddy!

he's not your buddy, guy!

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
he's not your buddy, guy!

He's not your guy, friend!
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

C-c-c-combo breaker!

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
C-c-c-combo breaker!

your princess is in another castle.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #19
shelovemyguitar
The "s" ^ didn't fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
That was a great time to use that. I don't think that saying "**** you" to a guy who is right and trying to help someone is a constructive thing to do...

How is he helpful? In the comment I quoted, he basically said: You have to learn the whole thing, or you'll never achieve anything. It didn't answer his question at all. What makes you think he has the time and will to learn music theory? Some people actually want to play music for FUN, nothing complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
i agree with macashmack -- don't hate on someone with stronger musical sense and a deeper understanding of the machinations of music simply because of your own conscious ignorance and lack of skill.

Ok so I guess I should stop making music since I'm just a worthless piece of crap who knows nothing about music theory and it's machinations right? Are you ****ing serious??? I'm not even hating on you guys because of your so immense musical knowledge, I'm hating on you guys because you believe you can't do music without being an arrogant and big-egoed "musician" like you guy's are.

If having a "stronger musical sense and a deeper understanding of the machinations of music" is having your philosophy, I don't want to have anything to do with that theory elitism crap.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
shelovemyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Some people actually want to play music for FUN, nothing complicated.

I want to cook for fun, brb putting random spices into a cake and cooking it on the stove.

Rate This Thread: