User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #61
Vendetta V
The Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
It's actualy VERY difficult for us a to imagine a person who we have never seen before. Y'see, imagination kinda involves memory, so nearly anything or anyone that a person can imagine will be influenced in one way or another by something or someone they've actualy seen. That's partly why truly original ideas are so rare.
So when you dream of someone that you later assume to be imaginary upon awakening, chances are, they are probably based upon a real person or even a composite of people. For example, their face could be someone you saw in the street but their personality could be based off someone you know..... or even yourself.

but aren't even real people like that? resembling each other in one or another way? I mean it's a bit subjective as on where exactly your imagination becomes original. You could even go ahead and say that whatever you imagine is based on what kind of life you've had and whatnot. Thus even the most original idea wouldn't be quite original

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #62
Hydra150
cool and awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I tried to draw an original face but it ended up looking like your mother.

show

and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #63
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V
but aren't even real people like that? resembling each other in one or another way? I mean it's a bit subjective as on where exactly your imagination becomes original.

I would suggest that when imagining a person's face, the point of originality comes when we imagine a 'composite' face, one with a nose from one person, a pair of eyes from another, a mouth from yet another, a chin from yet another, the hair from yet another and even the basic shape of the head from yet another.

As a portrait artist, I can tell you that (for me anyway) it's very hard to imagine an original face first and then paint it, the way that an artist would generaly paint an original face would be to gradualy form it in the composite way that I've just suggested and see what they come up with.

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #64
Scissortooth

I've had the same thing happen a few times.

Interesting about the whole composite thing. It's kind of how you have a dream, and you are downtown, and then suddenly you are in a totally different city you remember, but it all flows together like it's all the same place. Dreams are awesome
Scissortooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #65
ThrashUnleashed
caught w/the wack calzone

Quote:
Actually I was thinking about this and my only fix would be that, your brain can't imagine/picture/whatever things that it's never seen/heard before. It can how ever endleslly modify whatever it has in it's database to create new forms/shapes/creations/whatever.

Say, here's a word Electroscalpula. now that's something of my invention. but can you picture it? not really.. you dont even know where to start. but if I say it is a huge long machine, something like a drill but is not quite a drill, blah-blah. you start building something already that is big, has a machine look, has rotating parts. etc...

so yeah brain rocks!

I disagree, I immediately pictured a spatula with lightning bolts around it after reading that word.
ThrashUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #66
donender
Get back to work

I had a dream like that once, she looked like a composite of some of the girls i have fancied. It was strange.

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #67
Burgery
confusion

Location: an outward projected image of a pokémon centre for the soul
happens to me occasionally, i dreamt some people in my apartment complex were making ketamine cotton candy and gave some to me for free anytime i wanted

so disappointed when i woke up
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #68
mitythor666
UG's Only Haemophilic

I've had that, most recently was a few weeks ago, dreamt I got a phone call from a girl I really like saying she wants to be with me, dream was basically a distorted version of my previous evening, so when I woke up, I thought it had actually happened, woke up happier than I'd been in a long time, then a grain of doubt set in and I checked my phone, ruined my day tbh, but I sacked up and went on with my life, I would've taken that dream as a wake up call to make a proper move on her, but she's in England atm, gonna see what happens when she's back in December life gets better man, dreams like that usually don't mean **** all except that you might be a bit lonely, but we all get that way...

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
mitythor666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #69
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_Poetry
Freud may have been full of shit though.

Don't tell Kenan, but Freud was full of shit a lot.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #70
bradulator
through being cool

Probably the cocaine.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #71
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

Don't be sad. I had a dream like that once. The girl seemed perfect to me. A couple weeks later we met in real life and have been dating ever since.
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #72
sheppard30

After reading the past pages, i can say this type of dreams are not ultra rare and do happen. About 3-4 months ago i had a similar dream when i was in some sort of outdoor party, saw a girl that resulted extremely familiar but at the same time i never seen her and know her prior. I approached her and right a way a known friend introduced us and started talking nicely for a minute or two before the dream vanished. Those dreams make you feel warm, and those specifically will be remembered over a random avg dream.

You just have to know its pure imagination and recreation of past and scrambled images your brain have. Dreams don´t come true 99.99999% of the times, thats why they are dreams. Afterall, ill take nice comforting dreams over the ocassional bad dreams of being chased, killed, etc.

My self playing Arab song on classical guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFYmDjYviQM
sheppard30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #73
mystical_1
**** it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_Poetry
According to Freud, everybody you see in your dreams you've seen before in real life, even for a split second.
Freud may have been full of shit though.

Either way, it does indeed suck so hard. I feel you TS.

I thought Freud said that everyone we see in our dreams are just ourselves or representative of facets of our own personality.

So if you see a girl in your dream you love, you are revelling in your love of a part of your personality that you are very happy with at the time of your dream.

Just like if you kill someone in your dream, you are just killing off a part of your personality that you hate, or want to.

mystical_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #74
Vendetta V
The Creep

Quote:
I would suggest that when imagining a person's face, the point of originality comes when we imagine a 'composite' face, one with a nose from one person, a pair of eyes from another, a mouth from yet another, a chin from yet another, the hair from yet another and even the basic shape of the head from yet another.

As a portrait artist, I can tell you that (for me anyway) it's very hard to imagine an original face first and then paint it, the way that an artist would generaly paint an original face would be to gradualy form it in the composite way that I've just suggested and see what they come up with.

yeah makes sense. but then would it still be non-original? I mean you wouldn't really know whom you borrow the parts from would you? that is, you'd just take things you've seen, may be even subconsciously doing so, without realizing. Would you call that an original face or a yanked up drawing from tons of people?

then again... define original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashUnleashed
I disagree, I immediately pictured a spatula with lightning bolts around it after reading that word.

that proves my point. you imagined something you've seen/heard/known

see spatula, lightning bolts.... the name also suggests something along those lines, electro, scalpula, may be scapula may be scalpel, spatula sounds similar....

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Old 11-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #75
Thrashtastic15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_1
I thought Freud said that everyone we see in our dreams are just ourselves or representative of facets of our own personality.

So if you see a girl in your dream you love, you are revelling in your love of a part of your personality that you are very happy with at the time of your dream.

Just like if you kill someone in your dream, you are just killing off a part of your personality that you hate, or want to.

No. Clearly TS saw his mum in the dream and wants to put it up her bum. l2freud
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #76
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
No. Clearly TS saw his mum in the dream and wants to put it up her bum. l2freud

This.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #77
ThrashUnleashed
caught w/the wack calzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGuitarHero
Don't be sad. I had a dream like that once. The girl seemed perfect to me. A couple weeks later we met in real life and have been dating ever since.

woah.
ThrashUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #78
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
yeah makes sense. but then would it still be non-original? I mean you wouldn't really know whom you borrow the parts from would you? that is, you'd just take things you've seen, may be even subconsciously doing so, without realizing. Would you call that an original face or a yanked up drawing from tons of people?

then again... define original.

Well that's kinda the point I'm making, nothing we can imagine is completely 'original', there's always some influence in there somewhere.

But for the sake of argument, when we imagine a face that we have never seen before, it's actualy a composite face made up of feature 'types' that we have seen before. That's about as close as we can get to imagining an 'original' face.

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #79
Vendetta V
The Creep

Quote:
Well that's kinda the point I'm making, nothing we can imagine is completely 'original', there's always some influence in there somewhere.

But for the sake of argument, when we imagine a face that we have never seen before, it's actualy a composite face made up of feature 'types' that we have seen before. That's about as close as we can get to imagining an 'original' face.

pretty much what I am saying too. Just since we can't imagine any more original face then that could be already the 'original' face. That and also the fact that we've gathered enough resources to compile a face together. well we won't even know where the parts are coming from so that could really be called original.

show

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #80
METAL_MAN135
Hates his username.

I had something like this happen before.

A few months after my ex and I split, and I thought I had stopped thinking about her, I had a dream.

We were together again; never did we actually split. And everything was perfect. She was like she used to be; fun, happy, musical and loving.

I woke up from that dream crying. Violently, too.

Since then, I havent given her much thought. But that dream shook me to my core. It really did mess things up for me for a while. It seems silly now, but it felt so real. Especially the part where she told me how to move on, and what I need to do to sort my life out. It was certainly an experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
METAL_MAN135 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: