Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
burningforce

any decent guitar repair books/dvds?

hope this is the right forum

I am looking for better then average books/dvds that cover every part of acoustic/electric guitars and how to fix them. From scuff marks, to setting up a guitar, to finding out different guitar types.

I want to purchase a guitar, but have no place local to setup the guitar for me when I get it, let alone knowing which guitar is right for me.

So I figure I will do a lot of research and learning before i make a purchase whether it is a $90 guitar or an $1000 one. Just would like the knowledge to fix or deal with problems as they arise.

*Note*
I have a ibanez grx20 that I can practice working on, some of the wood broke off behind the nut, the strings are touching the frets and i assume the neck is not right as the previous owner said he messed with the truss rod.

thanks
burningforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

StewMac.com has all kinds of books, how to videos and tools.

You can get lots of information on youtube for free. Thats how I learned about certain things.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Guitbuilder

The "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine available from Stew Mac is a good start. It shows how to setup repair and maintain electric and acoustic guitars. A great book for any guitar player, repairer, or builder.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
burningforce

thanks for the info both of you

i will check out that book, that is one I had my eye on.

as for youtube vids, i mean they are helpful that you can see what the person is trying to explain, but how knowledgeable is the person making the vids?I guess I can buy the book then just use youtube vids as visual reference.
burningforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
seljer
UG Resident

the youtube user FruduaTV is a luthier and despite the funny accent has a decent set up videos regarding basic setup (intonation/string height/etc..). He doesn't just show you how to do it but gives an explanations as well.
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: