User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
TheWarpRider
Banned

Bored

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

So I've been playing guitar for about 4.5-5 years now and lately I've been feeling bored. Though I must stress it's what I am playing and I don't feel bored playing the guitar.

Could I get some cool recommendations? Also, I'd prefer it if mostly it's in standard key or half step down (drop tunes included). Not a fan of instrumental stuff like Vai, Satch, Yngwie etc but I could give it a try (if it's not too hard )

Some of the stuff I enjoy (or did for most of the time) playing: Zeppelin, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, The Who, Tool, Soundgarden, G'n'R, Alice in Chains, Van Halen, Sabbath, RHCP & SoaD. I still like listening to that stuff, just kind of bores me to be playing it right now. I'm able to play pretty much everything by those bands. (besides Testament and Megadeth - Skolnick is a god and I'm not great at sweeping so I can't really play much by Broderick ) Although, I don't really have any intention to be that good at sweeping since it's kind of boring to me.

I don't think it would be good to recommend something like technical death metal because I don't enjoy that music so I wouldn't enjoy playing it either. I definitely want some challenging solos too.

Thanks
TheWarpRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

maybe try some progressive stuff or write your own stuff is even better
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Norgz94

Start learning to sweep! Gotta challenge yourself , yea that's basically all i can say... challenge yourself. Maybe expand your musical horizons and learn different stuff.
Norgz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
stonedhippos

if you don't learn how to do sweeps and begin to challenge yourself, you will never advance as a guitarist. if that is fine with you, that's your choice.

edit: nm someone else beat me to my point. anyway, not advancing, considering your skill level, will likely get you a rhythm guitar spot at best if you join a band.

Last edited by stonedhippos : 11-10-2012 at 02:13 AM.
stonedhippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
TheWarpRider
Banned

I can sweep, just not like Chirs Broderick. I can do many of the ones from Rust in Peace by Marty fine.

And I didn't come here to get people to tell me how to sweep pick. I want recommendations for things that are exciting and cover a multitude of different skills, not just sweep picking.
TheWarpRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarpRider
I can sweep, just not like Chirs Broderick. I can do many of the ones from Rust in Peace by Marty fine.

And I didn't come here to get people to tell me how to sweep pick. I want recommendations for things that are exciting and cover a multitude of different skills, not just sweep picking.

I notice you don't have any Dream Theater on your list of bands. I'd reccomend checking out some of their stuff as, regardless of whether you like their music as a whole (I still don't like James TheCheese) they have some awesome guitar stuff going on *and* it's challenging. I used to play a load of Metallica stuff and just got bored of it, but Dream Theater was on a whole other level.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
shredder1980

Never practice anything you don't have the motivation for. It will create more resentment towards your playing in the long run.

If you are struggling to find good material to practice then I suggest just buying a guitar magazine and learn at least one section of each song covered in that issue. That way you have several different styles to play around with and not only that but you have the backing track included to help you along too.

If you need motivation in How to quit your job then come visit my other website.
shredder1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
astholkohtz

paul gilbert: technical difficulties, scarified, something_eia overture, fuzz universe, curse of castle dragon
mr big: daddy brother lover little boy, green tinted sixties mind

"let the sweepers do the sweep", as paul gilbert once said!

"mr crowley" and "crazy train" by ozzy are sooo fun to play

"cowboys from hell" and "walk" solos are beautiful, and quite hard.
every single riff from pantera (i particularly love 13 steps to nowhere and revolution is my name).

plus, to all the kids thinking that the only real challenge in guitar is sweep picking: grow up! there's like a thousand techniques far more challenging and difficult than sweep picking.
astholkohtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by astholkohtz
plus, to all the kids thinking that the only real challenge in guitar is sweep picking: grow up! there's like a thousand techniques far more challenging and difficult than sweep picking.

I don't think anyone was saying that; if anything sweep picking makes playing 1nps stuff easier. People are saying to learn sweep picking because it's a useful skill to add to your arsenal and it's beneficial if you ever want to economy pick. The more techniques you have under your belt, the better, and you never know you may surprise yourself with interesting things you can do involving sweeps - so why limit yourself? I've found learning new techniques is a great way to get out of a rut, even if it's techniques you don't think you'd normally use.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Wild_One

start to learn different music genre like jazz, country or even bluegrass...

there are still loads of things you can learn from guitar....

Instrumental
Metalcore
Death Metal
80's
Globalized Hoax
Technical Difficulties (Cover)
Wild_One is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: