Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
danmetal2012

fret buzz 7 string help!

hello all, i recently got my hands on a 7 string (ibanz rg1527 25.5" scale new condition)after years of playing a 6. anyhow basically I have it tuned to drop A, but I'm having mild fret buzz on the two low strings, by mild i mean open strings don't buzz at all open, its just on fretted notes. I changed from a 46 and a 56 to a 48 and a 66 (there was serious fret buzz before hand) set up the bridge height, truss rod and intonation, I did fiddle around with more neck relief and a higher bridge to no avail, I would have to have an awful action to achieve no fret buzz. im now thinking that the only option now would to add more shims to the nut? as the fret buzz is at its worse on the lower notes....im surprised as with ibanez stock strings in standard the two strings still buzzed, and if you look at the bridge the saddles for a and b are lowered presumably for intonation purposes, i guess its that that is the problem. also the guitar is literaly new, neck is not twisted, im not getting a longer scale length, i should be able to acheive none-minimal fret buzz with this guitar and the frets are not unlevel. does anyone know of any solution to my problem other than shimming the neck further? (it has 1 on there already as standard) im open to putting a heavier gauge string on the b but i shouldn't have to heavier than a 48 on the E! there must something elts....cheers in advance!
danmetal2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
the buzz is transmitting thru the amp?

and please dont write paragraphs like that.
too hard to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
danmetal2012

haha sorry but i know the kind of useless answers people post around here, i did think after i posted the thread that people may take one look at it and just look away. but it saves a list of pointless Q and A's with people who don't know what their talking about. and yes, although as with most fret buzz its only really a problem when running through the clean channel.
danmetal2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmetal2012
haha sorry but i know the kind of useless answers people post around here, i did think after i posted the thread that people may take one look at it and just look away. but it saves a list of pointless Q and A's with people who don't know what their talking about. and yes, although as with most fret buzz its only really a problem when running through the clean channel.

ok, and it's only at a couple of frets?

well you can try slipping a bit of paper under the string in the cut of the nut to see if it'll help,
but if it's only a couple of frets, then it's most likely that one of those frets is a little high.

when you measure the neck's relief,
hold the low string at the first fret and at the same time at the last (where the neck and body meet)

does the string clear the middle frets?
what fits there, a thin pick? a medium pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011

Last edited by jj1565 : 01-09-2013 at 10:05 PM.
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

If it is a fret buzz, it is likely (a.) a setup issue, or (b.) a high fret or two. Start with the easy part: check the setup (or have a qualified tech do it for you). It may be as easy as a bridge adjustment or a 1/8 to 1/4 turn of the truss rod nut to clear the problem for you. If it is a high fret or two, a good tech can level those two frets. However, if you've got some extra cash, most guitars and basses can benefit a great deal from a complete fret leveling job. It is an area that is frequently overlooked before they ship instruments from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: