Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Audio taper/Linear volume

I understand the difference in how audio taper is more "smooth" sounding, but are they meant to have a notch in the middle, where it's harder to move for a second, like a blend control would do for marking the middle point?

I bought new 500k pots, and they seem to have this notch in the middle, so I'm unsure if they'll actually work in my guitar. I've tried researching into audio taper pots, and I see nothing of this middle notch I'm describing, can anyone help?

Cheers
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Sounds like you got some center detent pots.

They will operate like any other 500KB pot aside from the detent. So yes, they will work in your guitar if you choose to do so.

Last edited by Culler Amps : 01-08-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Okay cool, thanks!

Two more questions, now that I notice, will the detent wear away if I use it enough over time? Also, there's no large base on the bottom like the previous pot that was in there, so will I need to find a new place to resolder ground wires?

New to this stuff, but it isn't so hard and I'll have the patience for it.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Could you post a pic of the pot, or a link to where you bought it(if it includes a pic)? I've never heard of such a thing and I'd like to see it.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Okay cool, thanks!

Two more questions, now that I notice, will the detent wear away if I use it enough over time? Also, there's no large base on the bottom like the previous pot that was in there, so will I need to find a new place to resolder ground wires?

As long as its a decent quality pot the detent shouldn't wear away.

As for the grounds, just find a different spot to tie them to. One of the pots ground lugs will work fine.

Any ground point will work, the back of pots are mainly used just because of convenience.

Last edited by Culler Amps : 01-09-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-s...ic-p-15687.html - link to the pot. I know it's a stacked, and how that works in relation to a regular pot, already made a previous thread on why I wanted a stacked one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culler Amps
As long as its a decent quality pot the detent shouldn't wear away.

As for the grounds, just find a different spot to tie them to. One of the pots ground lugs will work fine.

Any ground point will work, the back of pots are mainly used just because of convenience.

Okay, I thought this too, just convenience. Not a problem, just wondering in case there was some other reason for it.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-s...ic-p-15687.html - link to the pot. I know it's a stacked, and how that works in relation to a regular pot, already made a previous thread on why I wanted a stacked one.

Is this a common thing with stacked pots, or did you just get the wrong type? I'd never heard of one having a center detent before, but I haven't really done any research on them as well. I can see how that could be annoying on a guitar.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

I don't know, I just wanted to have the option of using two volumes in one pot routing, as I haven't got enough room on my Jackson to route another hole, and have only the one volume and no tone. Assumed this would work, but don't want to go to the effort of rewiring my electronics, for this to not work

Rate This Thread: