Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
fishmike

I value your thoughts on some (potential) changes to my Gibson LP studio

Hi all,
This was my first electric guitar. I got it in 2008 when I started playing. To be honest it wasnt the best choice to learn, but as I am in year four of playing and as my playing improves my love for this guitar just keeps growing. It just makes some utterly awesome sounds and I love most everything about it.

What I dont love and the only thing that pisses me off about this guitar is it doesnt stay in tune. Im constantly tuning sometimes after each song. Its my only guitar I have this problem with and I also have a strat, two acoustics and a bass and none slip and slide out of tune like my LP does.

Would simply getting new tuners fix this? I brought it into GC for setups twice, once they also sold me bone nut instead of the plastic one the studio comes with and none of that helped... ity still doesnt stay in tune.

The other question is my pickups. I play with my neck pickup more because its generally warmer and throaty where as the bridge pickup is a little chirpy. When I play with both pickups I put more volume on the neck and wind down the tone on the bridge so I still get some of that humbucker howl but ultimately I think a warmer(?) pickup might server me better? I never play metal.. blues, stoner rock, lots of Dispatch and State Radio.. mostly I jam and play with effects on my looper. If I go out to play with others I have a fender blues delux 40w tube. Its louder than all phuck but it sounds great. Also though I really have to dial down the treble and tone on that bridge pup or it gets to clangy and chirpy, but in doing so losing tone isnt good.

I hope that makes and ounce on sense... always value folks thoughts and thanks in advance

http://instagram.com/p/Xv9nMEvXYM/#
Old 05-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

this may suck to read but you just need it set up correctly.

the bone nut may or may not need filing, depending on how good a job the guy at GC did.

proper stringing techniques go a long way on LPs, that's something to consider as well.

getting the pups balanced is a part of a "set up" that most GC's don't bother with. gibson pick ups aren't as bad as some people make them out to be if they are at the right heights and balanced.

another thing with the pups is i'd check the pots before worrying about pups. gibson uses crap pots in the studios (opinion) and swapping them out for decent 500K cts and getting the guitar set up right is what i'd probably do first.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
fishmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
this may suck to read but you just need it set up correctly.

the bone nut may or may not need filing, depending on how good a job the guy at GC did.

proper stringing techniques go a long way on LPs, that's something to consider as well.

getting the pups balanced is a part of a "set up" that most GC's don't bother with. gibson pick ups aren't as bad as some people make them out to be if they are at the right heights and balanced.

another thing with the pups is i'd check the pots before worrying about pups. gibson uses crap pots in the studios (opinion) and swapping them out for decent 500K cts and getting the guitar set up right is what i'd probably do first.

it doesnt suck at all man... honestly Im ignorant, and that frustrating but part of having a lack of experience. Since Ive paid twice for setups at GC (literally 3 minutes from my house) Im thinking these guys are hacks and I need to look for a real shop or something of that nature. Thoughts? I really love playing this guitar and having it as my primary. I love the strat also but its the LP that raises the hackles on my neck.

I dont mind dumping cash into it either.. its a keeper for me. I just want it to work like I know it can! After all.. its still an $800 guitar
Old 05-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

It's most likely you or a cheap fix. A setup won't be expensive, something like $50. Watch this video and string your strings the way the guy shows you. I don't get why GC hasn't helped you but I've never used them, they don't have them in the UK. Go somewhere else.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc‎

If still after you have had the setup and had the strings changed you may need to get someone to look at the nut, but that should be noticed during the setup. If all else fails it may be the tuner and some Grover tuners never hurt anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 05-16-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
SteveHOC
Used Register

Yeah, I'd recommend finding another shop. To me, the GC techs just don't take their time doing a proper setup, it's more like a quick turnout for them. Let a tech know of your concerns and let him help you sort it out.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i found a few near you. i'd check this guy out.

Alex Marucci Guitar Repair
1155 Francyne Way, Union, NJ
(908) 403-9378 ‎ · www.alexmarucci.com
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmike
Since Ive paid twice for setups at GC (literally 3 minutes from my house) Im thinking these guys are hacks and I need to look for a real shop or something of that nature.

I'm thinking you're right.

Tuners get replaced regularly on LPs, but they're almost never the problem. The entire headstock is a poorly designed piece and for sure it was never designed with the bending and vibrato that modern playing needs. A really good setup (with a properly cut nut) and a bit of nut lubricant will make a huge difference. I probably would have gone with a Tusq or one of the teflon impregnated nuts rather than bone on a Studio. Most hack techs have the slots cut too deep, don't have the strings touching to the right spot on the nut for correct tune/intonation and have them cut a bit too high for low action (the Gibson factory standard spec is too high for low action -- lowering the bridge usually just produces fret buzz beginning from the 12th - 15th fret up).
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

GC techs a hit or miss. The one nearest my house and another one about 9 miles away- both "flagship" stores- are both pretty good, but I wouldn't use most of the GC techs in my area.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
bobafettacheese

I have never paid for a set-up. I figured it was one of those things that was worth taking the time to learn and doing it right. That way I can set it up to my liking. Although the tech in my area is extremely knowledgeable and I frequently talk to him about various aspects. I suppose if you didn't have time to learn how to set your guitar up then a tech would be your only option. But it sounds like you need to find a new one or check out the article here in UG about set-ups.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I find that with all the hard-tail bridges that I set up, if there is tuning instability it nearly always comes from an improper way of stringing through the string tree. I definitely set up a lot of guitars these days, too. This is how I do it, I'd give it a shot and see if it doesn't help your situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RnO...player_embedded

I rarely send out an LP or Tele unless it has rock solid tuning. I don't feel comfortable with them if they don't. That technique goes a long way to curbing tuning woes.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: