Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Ian_the_fox
Banned

"Suspended" Speaker Cabinet...

Now my most recent thread here was a complete disaster and really brought a bad image towards me, hopefully this won't go downhill like the other one did and become another cat thread. And yes, this is a serious question, for those who think I love to troll nonstop.

Now in description, this may sound rather stupid, but if you think of the plus sides to this, it could be a smart idea.

Now in my other thread, it regarded me looking for ways to record a tube amp in an apartment without bothering a hypothetical non-existant psychotic neighbor. Now that I look at it, it was a somewhat very stupid question, as this shit hadn't occurred or was even likely to occur that I would end up in this said shitty apartment next to this said intolerant neighbor.

Now I got caught up with isocabs/booths and all sorts of wacky shit, but a concept didn't occur to me until just today, that would somewhat solve my problem there, but also improve my recorded tone (and due to the collapse of the other thread, I decided to make a new one).

What I was thinking was, how well do you think it would work to suspend a 2x12 guitar cabinet from a ceiling, by 2 metal chains and obviously a strenthy support system?

If you think about it, sound travels more efficiently through solids than it does through air, and lifting it off the ground means it vibrates the walls and floors less, making it less prone to bothering people.

But that's not the only upside. Matrixclaw also mentioned in the last thread that facing a cab towards a wall without is likely to cause phase issues (which makes sense). But couldn't that do something similar with the floor as well, especially with thin carpeting.

So think of the cab if it were floating, with nothing surrounding the speaker but air, and the mic(s), and the cab be held up by 2 metal chains on each side. In theory that should greatly improve the tone as well, right?

Only problem is getting it up and down each recording session being how heavy it is, and being able to suspend it from something in the ceiling. In my house now, it would be possible and I could probably pull it off, in an apartment it might be a bit harder.

Maybe when that time comes I'll just stick with the rehersal space idea.

TL;DR: Literally suspending a 2x12 cabinet from a joint in the celing and miking it for recording: good idea, or bad? Better tone, or not worth it? How would I get it the hell up there? And no, this isn't a troll thread.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
lemurflames
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
What I was thinking was, how well do you think it would work to suspend a 2x12 guitar cabinet from a ceiling

Stop reading right here.

Bye.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

look i know you're probably not trolling. but serious question, are you high?

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
Stop reading right here.

Bye.
I'm in for a big one again, aren't I?

But really, intriguing idea that seems like it may have benefits.

EDIT: And no I'm not high.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

It would help the people living beneath you but that's it.
Hanging PA bins from the ceiling seems to work really well. Now one must also take into account that the only bins I've seen suspended from the roof have been Bose 802's and I don't think it's possible to make those things sound bad.
It won't sound any better than sticking it on an amp stand or a milk crate.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
It would help the people living beneath you but that's it.
Hanging PA bins from the ceiling seems to work really well. Now one must also take into account that the only bins I've seen suspended from the roof have been Bose 802's and I don't think it's possible to make those things sound bad.
It won't sound any better than sticking it on an amp stand or a milk crate.
Thank you Cath, for a serious and helpful answer.

The PA mounting deal was actually the concept that made me think about this, and it also tied along with some other properties about sound.

But I didn't think of the milk crates. Damn, now I feel dumb. But I will agree that's actually a better idea than risking pulling the building down. Or sawhorses (though those could be more conductive).

If it helps people living below me, that's also an advantage. As for the people beside me, I'll just hang them as well. That'll keep them from complaining.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
lemurflames
Ronnie

PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

What I'd do is get some foam of some type, like packing polystyrene and sit the milk crates on those. Just be smart about it, you don't want it toppling over.

Where would we be without milk crates? I've actually played on a stage that was made from milk crates and sheets of MDF. Not a good stage for a punk band though, I almost went through it doing the Sid Vicious dance.
Guitarists fear the man from the dairy coming after their milk crates more than the cops coming after their drugs.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
What I'd do is get some foam of some type, like packing polystyrene and sit the milk crates on those. Just be smart about it, you don't want it toppling over.

Where would we be without milk crates? I've actually played on a stage that was made from milk crates and sheets of MDF. Not a good stage for a punk band though, I almost went through it doing the Sid Vicious dance.
Guitarists fear the man from the dairy coming after their milk crates more than the cops coming after their drugs.
Woah, a whole stage made of em? Talk about "screw health and safety". But hey, it's punk rock.

But yeah, I'd definitely get several heavy duty ones, balance it nice and make sure it's not capable of falling over (my head wouldn't be sitting on top, of course, just the cab).

I do ask how much tonal improvement would be put into play with this method? Obviously unnecessary resonance would be eliminated, but how about a clearer, more robust sound?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Sticking an amp on a milk crate makes a massive difference to the sound - that's why we all do it.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Sticking an amp on a milk crate makes a massive difference to the sound - that's why we all do it.
In the studio too? I'm actually really encouraged to give it a shot; I have another track to record soon and I'll see about grabbing some milk crates before I lay it down. Thanks again Cath.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

It's better everywhere. It doesn't matter much in the studio if you are only close miking the cab but it does if you are doing it properly with a good condenser mike some distance away as well. Of course even then it doesn't matter that much because you'll be using 32 band EQ's and all manner of tone shaping shit.
So it also doesn't make a lot of difference to what is going through FoH live either because there you are just close miking as well. However, where it does sound better is to you on stage.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-10-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:

lol hahahaha
Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Crates ffs

Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I don't want to be "that" guy, but i'm going to, as I feel as though this needs brought up.

As a warning, I gave up reading the last thread on the second page. Keep this in mind.

However, you aren't willing to buy an AxeFX or something similar, but you're considering going through the trouble of suspending a 2x12 from the ceiling in an apartment via chains?

I'm with the guy asking if you're blazed out of your mind right now, because that HAS GOT to be a highdea (high-dee-uh, as in "idea" but when you're high). It would probably cost you more time and money to do that than to get a damn modeller.

Now, that said, I would say that for a guy that's convinced he'll have paper thin walls an neighbors that hate anything louder than a mosquito fart, you obviously haven't thought about how fun it would be to convince your landlord to let you suspend a damn 2x12 cabinet from the ceiling.

However, I wish you the best of luck with this, even though I seriously think you're making your own life much, much more difficult than it really is.

Seriously, dude, I hope you sort this out. I know what it's like to be ina situation where noise isn't an option.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I lived in an apartment once - never again. An apartment is not a suitable premises for an electric guitarist (or for humans in general if you ask me. )
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
woad_yurt

Physics-wise, if it was suspended from some good bungees or if your chains had some elastic, insulating connections, it would probably insulate everyone from vibration pretty well. If you used only chains, your celing & the floor upstairs would shake a lot.

If you're going to leave the cab there, I don't see why some folks think it's a crazy idea. You'd be able to position it for maximum acoustics. It'll also free up some floor space, I guess. If the aesthetics of a big suspended box in a room don't matter or can be made to work for you, hang away!

Last edited by woad_yurt : 11-11-2012 at 08:32 AM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:

+1

We needed another cat thread.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict

You'll reduce the vibration transmission path to the floor, which may be slightly better for those under you, but it does nothing for the air pushed and noise pumped out by the loudspeakers which is the main problem.
baumaxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
lemurflames
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
+1

We needed another cat thread.

PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD