Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
dragonballdbz

Bending Problem

OK

So I use pacifica 112 and admittedly the string action is not that low. But if i make it lower, the strings start touching the 1st fret.

Now my problem is that when i bend lets say the 7th fret G string up, my finger tip slides inside (stuck) the 7th fret D string, which is weird. What is the solution?
dragonballdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

You may have too much relief in your neck, you'd want to turn the truss rod 1/4 turn clockwise (tighter) and see if it helps, if it helps a bit. try another 1/4 turn etc
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Don't do that! Don't just turn the truss rod! Bad! Bad!

edit: You mean like your fingers go under the other strings? Happens to me sometimes. Just try to keep your finger lined up with the strings so you push them too instead of going under. They can also slip under your finger sometimes, which is weird and can move the string you're trying to avoid, but both of these situations should only happen rarely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Last edited by Danjo's Guitar : 11-11-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Best not to recommend adjusting the truss rod unless you know for sure it's needed. 1/4 turn won't do a whole lot, but without knowing WHY you're turning it, you're just spinning your wheels and setting yourself up for a disaster. If you don't know how to set up a guitar, take it in for a professional set up.

Sounds to me like you have a technique issue. Learning to bend takes time and practice. Learn to push the adjacent string with your finger. Also, don't be afraid to get two fingers on the string. Using two can make it a lot easier to bend.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
astholkohtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Sounds to me like you have a technique issue. Learning to bend takes time and practice. Learn to push the adjacent string with your finger. Also, don't be afraid to get two fingers on the string. Using two can make it a lot easier to bend.

im my humble opinion this is not a technique problem. i had the same problem with a friend's guitar. when i would bend on my friend's crappy guitar the same thing happened to me. i'm afraid to say that your guitar might use some truss rod adjustment. read some tutorials on how to FIND OUT if your truss rod is too curved, and then, if the answer is yes, read some tutorial to get it fixed.

GOOD ADVICE: keep in mind that if you dont want to trash your guitar you should be really patient, like screw it by an 1/4 turn, and let it rest overnight, and repeat for a week. doing so you won't harm your neck.

VERY BAD ADVICE: i fixed my epiphone sg's trussrod by screwing it like a butcher (like 4 whole turns at once) without giving a damn. the next day it was completely fixed. i guess i was lucky
astholkohtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonballdbz
Now my problem is that when i bend lets say the 7th fret G string up, my finger tip slides inside (stuck) the 7th fret D string, which is weird. What is the solution?

This is why I said it's a technique problem. This is a very common problem for someone starting to do bends. While his guitar may need a good set up, this can be a problem even on one that is set up right.

It is extremely difficult, if not flat out impossible to troubleshoot the condition of a guitar over a forum such as this one. When people start recommending a quarter turn of the truss rod, followed by more quarter turns, without having the guitar in their hands to look at - it's dangerous. The problem has become so bad, that Taylor no longer includes a truss rod tool with their new instruments. Over the past few years I bought a couple of Taylor acoustics, which included a truss rod tool. I bought a custom shop Taylor earlier this year, which did not come with one. I called Taylor to request one. I was told they stopped including them, because too many people were causing damage to their guitars, by overadjusting them.

When a guitar has an issue, the one working on it must be capable of analyzing the entire instrument, to determine what is at fault. Someone who is new to guitar playing will likely not have the proper skill set to recognize the proper amount of relief. In that case, I would strongly urge them to have the guitar properly set up by a professional. Regardless... Someone just starting out and purchasing a new guitar would do themselves a huge favor by having their guitar properly set up at the store they bought it. I played guitar with a couple of guys this afternoon. They invited a new guitar player to join us. This guy has only been playing a short while. His Ibanez acoustic was so poorly set up, that it had to be hampering his learning and playing.

BEST ADVICE: Take the guitar to someone who does this. You'll end up paying about $50 to have it professionally set up. If you're still having problems bending, then it's your technique and you can work on improving it. Have your first one or two set ups done by a pro. By that time, you should begin to have a good idea of what a good set up actually is and with a little help from us, you'll be able to do your own. I paid for my first set up, but after that, knew what I wanted and how to achieve it. Having the internet as a reference was a big help.

Last edited by KG6_Steven : 11-11-2012 at 08:35 PM.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: