Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
ub1quit0uz

Red VooDoo Tubes...

Hey all! I have a Red Voodoo (Crate BV120-HR) that I picked up fairly recently used.
When I first demo'd the product it sounded beautiful, but after purchasing it and moving it to my recording studio it now has a slight hum, that I either didn't notice, or it did not have before... According to some research i've done I assume its the pre-amp tubes. If I'm right, what tubes should I get for my genre? If I'm wrong, what COULD be the problem?

Also, I actually opened up and took out the tubes in the voodoo today to take a look at them, and confirm some things I was reading.

1) I read up on rectifier tubes just a bit, so I went to see what kind or whatever mine had. After taking them all out I noticed no difference in any of the pre-amp tubes, other then one of the four was separated a few inches away from the others, but looked the exact same as the rest. So now I'm highly confused. (especially cuz the manual says Im only supposed to have 3 preamps)

2) For the power tubes I could only see four 6L6 tubes, yet according to the manual im supposed to have, "12AX7A (1), 6L6GT/5881 (4)".. So then i was REALLY confused.

The thing still sounds okay, the humming is just kinda annoying, and I remember it sounding a tad bit better before purchasing. I also believe I could probably get a bit more out of it by replacing the tubes. This is what it sounds like now: http://soundcloud.com/tyler-gibbs-3/amagani-preview
(recorded this today with a Shure SM57 and a Samson CO2 mic, No EQ done, drums and bass are part of the mix, I just stole this from a song we recorded today)
(I mentioned earlier about wanting suggestions for tubes my genre, my genre would be Metalcore, Memphis Mayfire, August burns red, etc type music. Ofcourse you also can hear our exact stuff from the link I posted, and here: http://soundcloud.com/winters-iris/...rojections-demo)
ub1quit0uz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub1quit0uz
Hey all! I have a Red Voodoo (Crate BV120-HR) that I picked up fairly recently used.
When I first demo'd the product it sounded beautiful, but after purchasing it and moving it to my recording studio it now has a slight hum, that I either didn't notice, or it did not have before... According to some research i've done I assume its the pre-amp tubes. If I'm right, what tubes should I get for my genre? If I'm wrong, what COULD be the problem?

Also, I actually opened up and took out the tubes in the voodoo today to take a look at them, and confirm some things I was reading.

1) I read up on rectifier tubes just a bit, so I went to see what kind or whatever mine had. After taking them all out I noticed no difference in any of the pre-amp tubes, other then one of the four was separated a few inches away from the others, but looked the exact same as the rest. So now I'm highly confused. (especially cuz the manual says Im only supposed to have 3 preamps)

2) For the power tubes I could only see four 6L6 tubes, yet according to the manual im supposed to have, "12AX7A (1), 6L6GT/5881 (4)".. So then i was REALLY confused.

The thing still sounds okay, the humming is just kinda annoying, and I remember it sounding a tad bit better before purchasing. I also believe I could probably get a bit more out of it by replacing the tubes. This is what it sounds like now: http://soundcloud.com/tyler-gibbs-3/amagani-preview
(recorded this today with a Shure SM57 and a Samson CO2 mic, No EQ done, drums and bass are part of the mix, I just stole this from a song we recorded today)
(I mentioned earlier about wanting suggestions for tubes my genre, my genre would be Metalcore, Memphis Mayfire, August burns red, etc type music. Ofcourse you also can hear our exact stuff from the link I posted, and here: http://soundcloud.com/winters-iris/...rojections-demo)

It's the Phase Inverter tube, its considered part of the power section, not preamp.

Also you don't have a rectifier tube either. Its SS rectification.

Have you tapped on any of the tubes with a pencil eraser to see if they are microphonic?

Is the hum on both channels? Have you tried a different room/outlet in your house? (What type of lighting do you have?)

Last edited by R45VT : 11-11-2012 at 03:26 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
ub1quit0uz

Okay, so do I need to look into buy a specific tube for the Phase inverter? Or is it usually the same as the other 12zx7a?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Okay, so do I need to look into buy a specific tube for the Phase inverter? Or is it usually the same as the other 12zx7a?

It's the same. For tubes I would REALLY recommend JJs in red or blue voodoo. It will make the amp not so bright. The Phase Inverter(PI) tube is normally balanced.

Where do you live? Eurotubes/Dougstubes/tube depot I would recommend for tubes.

Also I updated a bit above.

We do have a BV thread here. Red Voodoos are welcome. Post a pic in there.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...oo+for+us+cheap

Last edited by R45VT : 11-11-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
ub1quit0uz

Oh awesome! I'll read through that thread =)

No I have not tapped on any tubes with an eraser... Im new to tubes, and didn't even know thats a thing, what reaction will I get if its Microphonic.

Yes We have tried different outlets, Idk bout lights, i can figure that out tomorrow, the studio where its at is in Bluffdale, Utah. The Hum is only on the distortion channel.

Thanks =)
Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

If it's microphonic you'll hear the tapping come through the speakers. It's pretty normal to get some, you're looking for one that is excessive compared to the rest. It's unlikely more than one or two have gone on you.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
ub1quit0uz

So I should Just tap the tubes with an eraser while the amp is on, and if I hear one tapping louder then the others, Its a bad tube? Should I do this with the power tubes and the pre-amp tubes? If so is it safe to have the amp on with the preamp tubes exposed with those metal covers off?

If I find one thats "microphonic", what does that mean? and Can I safely just replace that one or would I need to replace the whole set anyway?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Yes while it's turned on. It's uncommon for power tubes to become microphonic but it does happen.
Microphonic means that the vacuum has become slightly compromised. ie the tube is about to blow. With preamp tubes you just replace the dodgey ones, power tubes need to be changed as a full matched set.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #9
ub1quit0uz

Okay perfect, well If I get time tomorrow I'll head back to the studio and try this out =)
Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

How loud is the hum? My I had 2 BVs and they both had a hum on the distortion channel. I plugged a friends noise gate into the amp and it was gone. It never bothered me.

Some types of lights and appliances cause noise in the electrical system of houses. You might try plugging into a different room and see if there is any change. Cathbard gave some great advice on the microphonic tubes.

Its never a bad idea to replace the tubes in a used amp if you don't know how long they have been in there. Keep them as spares for testing. JJs will work wonders!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
ub1quit0uz

The hum isn't too bad. It's only really noticeable when the guitar isn't playing anything. It may make sense that its the electricity because when I use my Ibanez TS09 plugged in the hum is slightly intensified. But using the battery there is not. But what conflicts with the wall power idea is that the clean channel has no hum at all.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Robbgnarly

You may need a noise gate.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
z28_dad

i had a hum on my blue doodoo and picked up a boss ns2 noise suppressor and its all gone. i tapped on the tubes and they were all good. its just a noisey preamp. put a noise gate/suppressor in the loop and you should be good.
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
z28_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

It sounds like you probably just need a noise gate. If it were me, I would replace the tubes as well (all of them) just to improve the sound quality, but a noise gate is what you need for the hum you're hearing.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #15
ub1quit0uz

Aight well I eraser tested the tubes and nothing happened, except for one time the first tube I touched made a really weird sound I cant even describe it, but then went back to the usual hum and after several attempts nothing changed, just the usual hum.

So Im assuming its all the electrical stuff, and probably just the noisy amp it may be. So Im going to invest in a power conditioner which I was planning on getting anyway, and a noise gate.

Thanks alot guys =) Hopefully that fixes the problem...
This might not be the place to ask, but is anyone selling a red or blue voodoo? I like the sound we get, and if I can get one used I was thinking I might get another one for me, since my lead guitarist uses my current one.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #16
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Where do you live??

I have one but it is modded. Sounds like the ultimate thrash amp now. I love it. I do not however love having 4 amps...
Old 11-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
ub1quit0uz

Yeah.. I live in Utah. xD

"ultimate thrash amp"?? excuse my ignorance hahaha
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #18
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I just meant it had a huge improvement. Sounds like a classic thrash amp.

Too bad I don't have a microphone. After the holiday crap is over I need to pick one up and get some clips up. I think I have an A/B from the stock vs modded with the triode kit. It lost all bass.

One of the nice guys here on the forum helped me out and suggested a few different values and I couldn't be happier.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #19
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Aight well I eraser tested the tubes and nothing happened, except for one time the first tube I touched made a really weird sound I cant even describe it, but then went back to the usual hum and after several attempts nothing changed, just the usual hum.

That sounds like a dodgey or dirty tube socket. Give it a clean.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #20
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I think the confusion over the "Ultimate Thrash Amp" might be the genre you used.

Thrash refers to "Thrash Metal" which is a genre of extreme/speed metal that started in the 80's here in the USA. The easiest way to explain the genre is by citing "The Big Four" (the biggest 4 thrash bands from the original movement) which are:

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax

Other thrash bands that you might have heard of would be Testament and Exodus, although there are many, many more. It's likely you're also familiar with at least one band from the "Post-Thrash" or "Groove Metal" movement, which would include bands like Lamb of God and Machine Head.

He basically meant that after the mods, it made the amp easily capable of recreating the Thrash guitar tones used by bands like the Big 4. High gain, agressive, raw, in your face. The original tones were just Marshall JCM800's that were boosted with an Overdrive Pedal. Later, a number of the bands switched to Marshall JCM200 DSL100's, and since then, the amps vary a good bit.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: