Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
thetobarmethod

Carvin X100b, Ampeg GVT15h, Jet City JCA20h, Orange Tiny Terror, there are alot of budget priced tube heads out there, why is there only like 3 amps listed? this is ridiculous. You can find any of these above amps for around the same prices if you look hard enough. I would personally go for the Marshalls though but thats going to be nearly impossible for you to find to be honest.
thetobarmethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetobarmethod
Carvin X100b, Ampeg GVT15h, Jet City JCA20h, Orange Tiny Terror, there are alot of budget priced tube heads out there, why is there only like 3 amps listed? this is ridiculous. You can find any of these above amps for around the same prices if you look hard enough. I would personally go for the Marshalls though but thats going to be nearly impossible for you to find to be honest.

Those are good budget heads, but TS is looking for a combo. Guess you should read a little better

And the fact he is in the UK is why the Laney and Marshall are suggested, they are cheaper there than what alot of others amps are.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

also don't discount thomann- that traynor ycv50b is just a really good deal at that price. it's better than a heck of a lot of things at that price *used*. I'd take one over a dsl401. plus you get a 3 year warranty- which i wouldn't pay extra for, but when you're getting it for nothing, why not?

there's not much point in going used if you can get better things new, lol.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acechao111
There's a used one on Ebay I might be able to look at because it's only 350

Can I get quite a ballsy, but not too dark pop punk or alternative rock sound from it?

I think the VK has a lot more "balls" on tap. The DSL401 has superior tone IMO, but not necessarily for what you want to do. It's a pretty far cry from the head versions, which are ironically excellent amps for what you want.

It's hard for me to say, because I really wouldn't recommend either.

I guess I'll just say, look for a used Peavey XXX combo. Pop punk is kind of a confusing genre. It doesn't sound apparently "heavy", but it often utilizes a very modern tone achieved by the same amps that are considered "heavy" or "metal". That is neither the VK's or the 401's forte by a long shot.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #25
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
also don't discount thomann- that traynor ycv50b is just a really good deal at that price. it's better than a heck of a lot of things at that price *used*. I'd take one over a dsl401. plus you get a 3 year warranty- which i wouldn't pay extra for, but when you're getting it for nothing, why not?

there's not much point in going used if you can get better things new, lol.

Actually.. that does look pretty cool. I found a guy doing covers with it, but he'd using pedals for distortion. How does it sound with just built in gain?
Acechao111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I think the VK has a lot more "balls" on tap. The DSL401 has superior tone IMO, but not necessarily for what you want to do. It's a pretty far cry from the head versions, which are ironically excellent amps for what you want.

It's hard for me to say, because I really wouldn't recommend either.

I guess I'll just say, look for a used Peavey XXX combo. Pop punk is kind of a confusing genre. It doesn't sound apparently "heavy", but it often utilizes a very modern tone achieved by the same amps that are considered "heavy" or "metal". That is neither the VK's or the 401's forte by a long shot.

Yeah I get you. I've not heard of the Peavy xxx combo, I'll check it out.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #27
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

I like the look of the Peavy XXX a lot.

The only bad thing about this is that there is now more to take into consideration.

The Peavy XXX
Traynor YCV50B
Valveking
and the DSL401

These are all options.

I fear that the Peavy Valveking will be a bit too dark sounding for the stuff I want.
and I feat that the Marshall might not have enough kick, kind of.

The XXX looks pretty nice tbh, and I saw a guy covering Billy Talent with the Traynor, and I like Billy Talent. But he was using a pedal, I think.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acechao111
Actually.. that does look pretty cool. I found a guy doing covers with it, but he'd using pedals for distortion. How does it sound with just built in gain?

i've tried the 40 watt version, which is similar, but has 6L6 power tubes (so probably a slightly more fendery tone; the 50 is meant to be a bit more marshally) and a worse speaker. I thought the built-in overdrive channel was pretty good. it's not a 6505, but it'd do classic to hard rock no bother, i'd have said. an overdrive boost (e.g. the harley benton vintage overdrive which thomann sells for 29 euro, which is a rebadged joyo, is a tubescreamer clone) would help boost the onboard distortion to heavier levels, too.

found this clip

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: