Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

So.... It's been a week and I can be bothered to make the effort to do a slightly more informative post about the guitar.

It's a Charvel San Dimas T2. It's made in America, has a SD JB and 59 pickup set. I believe it's an OFR but it may be a Korean one, I am not sure.

The guitar and I have spent some serious time together, it's had more playing time this week than my Suhr as I try and to decide if its a keeper or not. It's been a rather easy decision. It's a keeper. The main reason why is the neck.

It's just brilliant, it's practically the same as the GG profile on my Modern, except its a hair thinner and not as well finished. Despite this, the care and attention is flawless with the smooth raw maple comparable to the quality of the EBMM JP6 necks. The medium frets and brilliant radius match up to a very old school traditional feeling guitar that is as easy to play as the average strat. The fret work is very good, on par with the usual MIA Stuff, well finished, neat and smooth. The neck has a very nice worn in feeling and I know I said it is effortless, but it really is. It's only showing me how I really am a sucker for a maple board. The 22 frets is nice as t means I still have a guitar with a 'proper' sounding neck pickup. For nice lead tones it has to be 22 IMO when using the neck position. Which also means its a good excuse to keep t as a companion to my Suhr.

I am not as keen on te Tele body shape, even with the contours it is still a bit old fashion, but is is light weight and incredible resonant, even with the floyd. The pickup rings detract from the clean look and I would prefer direct mounted, but that's only if I was feeling really picky. The Duncan's are far better the I expected, fat and fairly middy with a nice bit of umph behind them, if my Suhr is biting and articulate, this is slightly fatter and has more of a drawl to its sound. It's dirty and uncouth and great fun.

The trem is good, it's non recessed, but still floating (just) so it's the usual floyd issues which don't phase me at all, it works well and I have only had to tune it once since I restrung it. So no complaints there.

I will be keeping this, it's great fun, cost me next to nothing (£200) and will allow me to laugh at future generations who get stuck buying Mexican and Chinese charvels who won't know what they missed.

Is it the best guitar ever? No. It pales in comparison to my Suhr or departed Gibson/J Custom. But it also cost about 80% less than its companion and is perfect for playing and just dumping and not having to worry about the usual bumps and scuffles that befall a 'players' guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70

Last edited by Tom 1.0 : 11-18-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #42
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

How does the quality compare to a Prestige or even an ESP?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #43
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Better than the average Prestige, the fret work and neck finish are nice than the Ibanez stuff, te profile and neck join aren't as 'advanced' but the quality is better than what Ibanez are churning out now. The maple finger board is much nicer than the scratchy stuff Ibanez are using too.

I would say the build is as solid as an ESP but if the trem isn't an OFR then the ESP would edge it. It's on par with the Mii's and some of the older Horizons. But the average ESP Standard and up are the better guitars when it comes to quality of wood and overal playabity/desirability, no doubt.

But it is still/was a top of their MIA Production model so it's as good as it should be

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 11-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #44
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

nice review, tom

assuming it was a production model i think it's a korean floyd

i've also heard rumours (uncorroborated, but i could believe it) that the necks on them were MIM.

for £200 though it's killer. I did really like the ones I tried. Just the new prices were £900, which was a bit steep, i thought. And I sorta missed the boat on the MIJ ones which were a more sensible price.

I know exactly what you mean about it maybe not being the best guitar ever, but still being a keeper- there's definitely a level (I know I always say this and am starting to sound like a broken record ) above which it's "good enough". Which is not to say you can't get better, but it's up to the job, kind of thing.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 11-18-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #45
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

That's interesting about the necks, though I would have thought given the quality of the fret work maybe the blanks were cut in Mexico? Bit like the American Specials? Either way it's still a very comfortable and well finished one.

Yeah I'm with you on that. It's the same reason I have my girlfriends Strat knocking about. It's a great guitar and it cost so little it makes no sense selling it. If its good enough to do what I need, which it is, I should just keep it.

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #46
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

that may well be it (regarding the necks). I think i read about it on the vintage kramer website- they're gonna be biased against charvels and in favour of kramers, but i doubt they'd post actually-wrong info, either. But yeah, the necks on the ones i tried were pretty good- reminded me of USA standard fender necks (though obviously a bit more speedy).

and yeah i work on that principle too, if you're not gonna get much (unless you need the room) you might as well keep it

Old 11-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #47
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Cool, yeah I would agree with you on that, its like an MIA Fender if they did a Thin D.

Well I would make money on this (though not now I have publicised how much I paid but I am enjoying playing it and thats all that matters for now.

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #48
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Well I would make money on this (though not now I have publicised how much I paid

but yeah i mean if you're enjoying it hang onto it

Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #49
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Told ya.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #50
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Wow, I never found the pickups to sound 'fat' at all. In fact the main reason I never bonded with it was because I thought the pickups were piercingly bright and thin-sounding and I didn't have the heart (read: couldn't be bothered) to change them. Inb4 "lol Line 6 amp". "Uncouth" is damn right, though. Dare I admit a fair few Mötley Crüe licks have been played upon that fretboard.

I also didn't think it was that light either, used to break my back. Though, I suppose I am smaller than you and I've had part of my spine removed, so that may be why

Nice to know someone's finally getting some real, practical use out of it, though. I always felt bad having it sat here doing nowt.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #51
Supernaut2k
Blackmore Worshipper

I'm surprised at how many guitars you get through OP.
Supernaut2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #52
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Told ya.

+1

glad you're digging it tom. i kinda feel the same way about my mij strat, there's better out there but it does the job really well.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #53
GuitarFreak1387

I have to agree with the feel of then neck. i have a MIJ So-Cal pro mod but i believe its still the same neck, the thing feels....OMG. Its definitely my go to 6er. I really wish they would do a So-cal style 2 though.
GuitarFreak1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #54
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

Srs question: What do you do with all these guitars? When do you find the time to play them all?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #55
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
Srs question: What do you do with all these guitars? When do you find the time to play them all?

he plays them.

then he decides if they work for him and keeps them a while.

he buys cheap so he can make a couple bucks if he sells them usually.

but in his defense tom had an injury to his hand so they don't always feel comfortable to him to play over long periods. so the ones that don't he gets rid of.

plenty of us are flippers. we find stuff at low prices locally etc and play them a while and if we see something else we want to try we flip the guitar we play the least. usually one we can make a little money on in the process. it's not that uncommon really.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #56
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
but in his defense tom had an injury to his hand so they don't always feel comfortable to him to play over long periods. so the ones that don't he gets rid of.

yeah exactly

plus i mean as you said, there's no law against buying something to see if you like it. and then flipping it if you don't.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #57
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
plus i mean as you said, there's no law against buying something to see if you like it. and then flipping it if you don't.

if there was i'd be on death row.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #58
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Yeah basically what Greg and Dave said. 😊

I just enjoy buying, reviewing/experiencing and selling music gear.

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #59
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
if there was i'd be on death row.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #60
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I know I'm guilty. This thread made me recount all the Strats I've owned. 9 different Strats in the last 3 years. Sheesh. (Not to mention a Jaguar and 3 teles as well).

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: