Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
varundbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluckingGood
I've got it for xbox. I've played guitar for many years but have been out of it for a while. I'm finding it good for building up a bit of a repertoire after forgetting nearly everything I used to play. I'm actually really enjoying it, but then I enjoy gaming anyway so playing guitar and getting scored for it is like a double bonus.

Yeah lol!
hav u fixed the latency problem?? i use component cables to my home theater for that....
varundbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #22
PluckingGood

I've had no latency problems. I was all set to switch my audio to component cable but thought I'd give it a go through the HDMI, works absolutely fine. The only issues I seem to be having are with pitch rather than timing; I can play the right notes and sometimes it will give me an up or down arrow to say I'm playing the wrong note even when I'm pretty sure it's not. The in-game tuning is pretty awful as it says the string is in tune when it can be half a tone out, I have to fine tune by ear.

edit: Have you tried mastery mode yet? I've only played it on one song so far (Song 2 cause it's easy) and got 99% and about 230k.

Last edited by PluckingGood : 11-14-2012 at 03:52 PM.
PluckingGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #23
OliOsbourne

Can I use rocksmith with any guitar?

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
PluckingGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliOsbourne
Can I use rocksmith with any guitar?

Yes you can!

You can also use the rocksmith cable to plug any guitar in to a PC/laptop.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
PluckingGood

I've just unlocked mastery mode for Plug in Baby which I'm quite impressed with.

To unlock the mode requires you to play 100% of the notes in each section at 100% speed. At first I was struggling to keep up with the speed but with practice my fingers are now moving fast enough to play it so it shows the game has improved my playing.

Mastery mode itself gives you the backing track but with no on screen display or prompts for what to play or when. You just play along to the backing track and hit as many notes as you can. I've managed 94% so far but am aiming for 100% as I'd like to be able to play that song perfect.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #26
JKHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeLottaIzzy
It's fun

This is where I disagree with LP supreme Izzy.

It's not as productive as actually practising guitar, it's slower to learn songs on Rocksmith and it's most certainly not as fun as most other casual games out there (not pertaining to music). I actually think Guitar Hero and Rock Band are better in terms of fun.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
JKHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #27
varundbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluckingGood
I've had no latency problems. I was all set to switch my audio to component cable but thought I'd give it a go through the HDMI, works absolutely fine. The only issues I seem to be having are with pitch rather than timing; I can play the right notes and sometimes it will give me an up or down arrow to say I'm playing the wrong note even when I'm pretty sure it's not. The in-game tuning is pretty awful as it says the string is in tune when it can be half a tone out, I have to fine tune by ear.

edit: Have you tried mastery mode yet? I've only played it on one song so far (Song 2 cause it's easy) and got 99% and about 230k.

Nah, i've just got it recently, the only good thing i've done is that Queens song (i suppose, didnt read the title carefully :P ) got around 84k on first run....
for pitch, make sure u r not bending d strings or pressing too tight.. btw use precision tuner whenever in doubt...

Last edited by varundbest : 11-15-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #28
WrathfulOne

I don't really get this. You are forced to play the songs included with the game, whereas you can just use tabs to play any song you want for free. I used to enjoy playing Guitar Hero, but that was before I found out how easy playing the real guitar is! ;-)
WrathfulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
JustRooster
Organ Donor

It's pretty fun. Great for beginners.

SSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #30
St John 999

Just started using Rocksmith
I Gotta give it a big tick.

As a beginner it is great fun playing along with decent songs in a challenging game environment. I am only up to the third song so far after about 45 mins of game play.
(For those who play it I have done my first gig got an encore yippee and have dutifully murdered a few hundred ducks)

I understand the audio lag can be fixed up usually. I still have to sort mine out but this hasn't upset my playing that much.

The best thing is that the games actually allow you to just keep going and having fun without being perfect. This originally was disconcerting for me. I was allowed to progress to the next level before I was anything like competent at the particular song. But the songs come back for you to redo again later on and I feel like I am making progress with them each time. Most of the hassle for me is getting used to how the notes are designated in the game to be played. There is no tab or music notation. This lack of teaching tab reading or music notation reading is a shame as that would be a great thing to learn as a game.

The technique side is also a bit thin. More guidance of left hand fingering is needed.
There is no slow practice mode that really is essential to gain real competence.

If they ever address the above issues you would have a very good learning system.
There are videos showing the basics of a technique before you get to do it in a practice game but if I didn't know stuff from my other studies I don't know if it would be enough with these videos.

Having said all that I have been having fun jamming along to some decent songs without upsetting anyone with how bad my playing is. It gives a feel for playing with other people that you don't normally get until you are much better. I mean you get the Stones backing you for 'Satisfaction' right off the bat.

It also makes you play a whole song not just the first few bars that you may know. It is quite exhausting on the fingers playing 'Satisfaction' for the first time. But I got there and scored a high silver grade (Yes I know I was dreadful!!!!!!!!)

For a competent guitarist this game is probably of passing interest, but for the beginner it is a very enjoyable way of practising skills learnt elsewhere and making a lot of noise.

Headphones saved the neighbours' dog from hearing damage.
St John 999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #31
varundbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by St John 999

The technique side is also a bit thin. More guidance of left hand fingering is needed.
There is no slow practice mode that really is essential to gain real competence.

Well you can, go to songs in the main menu and then choose the song and there are many modes in which u can practice the song
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #32
Benn14

I've bought this game but I haven't sat down and played it for very long. I have learnt the riff and chorus of Slither, which is quite cool.

I think some people will prefer to use this method of learning the guitar, but I was playing some songs thinking, this would of been really hard if I was just starting out.
Benn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #33
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Quote:

As a beginner it is great fun playing along with decent songs in a challenging game environment. I am only up to the third song so far after about 45 mins of game play.
(For those who play it I have done my first gig got an encore yippee and have dutifully murdered a few hundred ducks)

I understand the audio lag can be fixed up usually. I still have to sort mine out but this hasn't upset my playing that much.

The best thing is that the games actually allow you to just keep going and having fun without being perfect. This originally was disconcerting for me. I was allowed to progress to the next level before I was anything like competent at the particular song. But the songs come back for you to redo again later on and I feel like I am making progress with them each time. Most of the hassle for me is getting used to how the notes are designated in the game to be played. There is no tab or music notation. This lack of teaching tab reading or music notation reading is a shame as that would be a great thing to learn as a game.

If they ever address the above issues you would have a very good learning system.
There are videos showing the basics of a technique before you get to do it in a practice game but if I didn't know stuff from my other studies I don't know if it would be enough with these videos.

Having said all that I have been having fun jamming along to some decent songs without upsetting anyone with how bad my playing is. It gives a feel for playing with other people that you don't normally get until you are much better. I mean you get the Stones backing you for 'Satisfaction' right off the bat.

It also makes you play a whole song not just the first few bars that you may know. It is quite exhausting on the fingers playing 'Satisfaction' for the first time. But I got there and scored a high silver grade (Yes I know I was dreadful!!!!!!!!)

For a competent guitarist this game is probably of passing interest, but for the beginner it is a very enjoyable way of practising skills learnt elsewhere and making a lot of noise.

Headphones saved the neighbours' dog from hearing damage.

The entire game is in a tab-style layout.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #34
jetwash69

Quote:
...The technique side is also a bit thin. More guidance of left hand fingering is needed.
There is no slow practice mode that really is essential to gain real competence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by varundbest
Well you can, go to songs in the main menu and then choose the song and there are many modes in which u can practice the song

To be a little more clear, and since it's not as intuitive as it could be...

When you go to the songs menu you can choose among which of the "arrangements", i.e., guitar parts, to play.

Then you can "Rehearse" the whole song, "Perform" it, do the "Riff Repeater", polish up on "Assosiated Techniques", or go to the "Rocksmith Shop".

If you do the Riff Repeater, then first you choose what part of the song to work on. Then you choose "Free Speed," "Leveler," or "Accelerator".

Free speed is pretty lame IMHO; it won't go forward until you play every note exactly the way it's looking for, for the exact duration. If you pause it, then you can adjust mastery (i.e., percentage it's dumbed down) manually.

Leveler is OK if you don't mind playing it dumbed down and at full speed. You can pause it with the space bar and manually adjust mastery, but it will be at full speed regardless. Maybe some people learn better like this.

The Accelarator defaults to your current level of mastery and tries to measure how fast you can play. But you might get better results if you pause it, dial in the mastery you want, and then dial in the speed you want. If you do that, then it won't automatically go faster when you get it right, unless you pause it again and select "Resume Acceleration". Which might be OK, because it tends to accelerate by increments around 10% or larger, which could be too fast.

So what you're looking for is in the Accelarator, but you have to pause it after you finish tuning the guitar if you want to take control.

If you're interested in tab and musical notation, get and use Guitar Pro. That, youtube videos on different techniques, and UG articles/forums can fill in any other gaps.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #35
kharn_tb

I finally got it to work after months of it not working, it had issues with a nicer (HZ equipped) schecter and a basic LTD, it couldn't pick up the ltd pups at all. The Gio I just got works like a dream with it. Glad I didn't give up this might help me practice, I don't have a lot of delay issues, but that might be some issue of my TV set up and the miracle that it functions.
kharn_tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
St John 999

Great post Jetwash69
You're right it is not at all intuitive. But with your help now I know what to do.
With this I now feel it won't be too long to get through a few songs at a high level.
For me the real fun is in playing to a full backing sound. I even get exited when doing the gigs. Those dancing avatars are spookily realistic. I love the ambience the game creates whilst loading up the next bit - you do get the feel that you're hanging out with a rock band.

Can you set the program up so you simply play with your combo of amp and pedals that you have unlocked. - this is another bit that I am just being dumb about and I probably need to spend some time clicking on things and see where I get to.
Cheers
St John

ps Is the sound quality as good on Guitar Pro?
St John 999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #37
jetwash69

Quote:
...Can you set the program up so you simply play with your combo of amp and pedals that you have unlocked?...

Yes. Whenever you're in one of the menus that has "A Amp" down at the bottom, you can click that or type "A" and choose which "rig" to use, customize the components, and tweak the settings. And you can do free play with the guitar there too. One disadvantage is you can't turn pedals on and off on the fly. So IMHO, the effects are kind of lame other than for basic tone shaping. They can help you decide what kinds of pedals to buy IRL, or what to focus on if you buy a Multi-effects pedal IRL. The other disadvantage is you might notice latency more in this mode than in the game play if you're on a slower PC or laptop. I don't know if the console versions have that problem.

Quote:
...Is the sound quality as good on Guitar Pro?...

Guitar Pro 6 (GP6) sound is all synthesized and simulated. The piano is really good; I've done side-by-side comparrisons with .wav exports from GP6 against recordings from a Roland Digital Piano (which uses Steinway samples) and it was hard to tell the difference. The guitar tones are good and highly tweakable, but you can tell it's not real. You can't play your guitar through GP6 unless you have a guitar to MIDI converter--even then you might not be able to play through it, maybe just use it to "record" in MIDI...I don't have a guitar to MIDI converter (i.e., guitar MIDI interface) so I can't tell you for sure. Guitar MIDI interfaces are expensive and have many limitations, so they're not very popular.

In Rocksmith, the backing tracks are all real recordings, and what you hear from your guitar is really your guitar, with Rocksmith doing amp/cab/effects simulation processing in near real time.

Here are some of the benefits from GP6 that aren't available in Rocksmith:
- You can download millions of songs for free from Ultimate Guitar and see every note. They may not be correct, but you'll have the power to fix them and that can be a great learning tool.
- You have total control over every aspect with GP6, with a highly efficient interface. For example, with the speed trainer you can select the part you want to loop down to the note, control whether there's lead-in clicks or not, control whether the speed increases each time, by how much (in %) and even how many times it plays it at the same speed before increasing it. You can turn tracks on or off, and you can choose which ones you want to see. You can also control volume for each track, and even have it automatically change the volume for different parts. You can build your own metronome track, too, or just use the built-in metronome if you like that better (or if you're too lazy to build your own).
- GP6 lets you see the whole song, or even print it if you want
- You can use GP6 to write your own music

It's a great tool to have in your kit, and a steal at $50. Rocksmith is fun and is helping me take my playing to that next "level", but I'll never get as much out of it as I did from GP, and certainly not for as little money as GP6 costs.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #38
Not a Les Paul

Anyone confirm if this works with EMG pickups, or active pups in general?
Schecter Omen 6 w/EMG 81X/85X
Aria Les Paul w/EMG 81/85 ZW
Ovation Celebrity CC-44
Blackstar HT Club 40 w/4x10 cab
Not a Les Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #39
sushi cat

I though it looked like a load of rubbish, But I might try the demo on my PC.
sushi cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #40
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Les Paul
Anyone confirm if this works with EMG pickups, or active pups in general?

I don't know about EMGs; the documentation is very tentative on that and it tells you not to play through effects. As for actives in general, I use my Sustainiac-equipped guitar with it all the time. If you're not familiar with the Sustainiac, it has a "driver" that looks like a pickup in the neck, and it uses the bridge and/or middle pickup(s) and processes that sound to simulate neck output. I'm not sure what (if any) processing it does to the bridge output, but it works fine with Rocksmith in either position.

Rate This Thread: