Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Thomas_Erak_Fan

Is Yngwie Malmsteen overrated and egocentric?

I'm asking you a simple question, in your opinion.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

He's a showman who's been around for years, he's meant to be that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
stonedhippos

skill-wise, i wouldn't say he is overrated; he is quite good. however, no matter how good you are, an ego as big as his is still unacceptable.
stonedhippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
FireFromTheVoid
Yung Venuz

Not really, he`s a good guitarist.
But it depends who you ask, some kids act like he`s a god, and that is overrating him.
I'm a racing kinda guy

One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

FireFromTheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Jmoarguitar
Given'r

he's not really overrated, he did bring a new side to shred. However he's trapped himself in this neoclassical genre and if you've heard 4 or 5 of his songs, you've heard them all. And to boot he's got a big ego. I wouldn't say he's overrated though.

shameful Boston Bruins fan
Jmoarguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
x0vincent0x

Egocentric, i don't know, i think you'll need to know him personally to be able to judge about that.

Overrated.... people should really stop using that word. I'm a fan of Malmsteen, i like his music and i see virtuosity when he plays the guitar.

But for example, i don't like Slash. I don't like his music, and i can't hear what would make him so special.

But in the end they both have the ability to impress audience, and that audience gives them the "rating" they deserve.

But thats all just a matter of taste, i would just never call a guitarist overrated.
x0vincent0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
BerKaOz

he is skilled.but his songs are always same...they are like polyphonic ringtones !! usually beginners overrate him.he is good but there are lots of shredders.

Last edited by BerKaOz : 11-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.
BerKaOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoarguitar
he's not really overrated, he did bring a new side to shred. However he's trapped himself in this neoclassical genre and if you've heard 4 or 5 of his songs, you've heard them all. And to boot he's got a big ego. I wouldn't say he's overrated though.

I wouldn't say he's trapped himself, there's no doubt he loves what he does so I would very much call it a choice.

I've met someone who worked with him though... apparently he's a complete arsehole.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

He's really good but I can't say I like his music. He could be way better if he'd slow down and show some soul, I know he can. As a person, if I didn't know who he was and I saw him driving his Ferrari I'd think he was a complete laughable dick.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
He's really good but I can't say I like his music. He could be way better if he'd slow down and show some soul, I know he can.

I think he has soul, he does show more emotion than most shredders in his playing. but yeah, I agree with the first bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
driving his Ferraris

fixed
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Swannie
drives a hearse

I am primarily a blues guitarist, and he's not one of my favorites, but I think he does have a lot of soul, at least live. He's not up there bending notes and doing blues solos, but he seems to really love what he does and he has a passion in his playing I respect. He seems insufferable to be around though.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Swannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

Theres no soul to his playing. Shredders like guthrie govan are better, because theyre versatile and you can really feel the emotion in their music. Yngwie is just "how many notes can i fit in this bar" then "ill put a harmonized dual guitar solo here"

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh596
Theres no soul to his playing.

I get so tired of seeing people post stupid statements like this.

How do you know if there is "soul" in his playing or not. Did you jump inside his body to see if he is putting his immortal spirit into the music or what?
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

Because he doesnt play it in a way that is recognisable, it could be anyone playing it, where as with other artists, you tell its them playing. Anyone can sound like yngwie and play his songs in that way, but looking at artists like steve vai who has a pretty unique style of playing, not many people can make a guitar sound that way

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Most people seem completely ignorant to what he's all about, they hear one of his instrumental songs and think all he does is all out shred all the time. When in fact most of the time he plays conventional verse, chorus, verse songs with a vocalist.

I don't like to use the term overrated because I'm not arrogant enough to believe that because I don't like something no one else should. People are allowed to like what ever they want.

Quote:
Because he doesnt play it in a way that is recognisable, it could be anyone playing it, where as with other artists, you tell its them playing. Anyone can sound like yngwie and play his songs in that way, but looking at artists like steve vai who has a pretty unique style of playing, not many people can make a guitar sound that way

In your opinion.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Quote:
Anyone can sound like yngwie and play his songs in that way

That statement is even more ******ed than your other one about soul.

But since anyone can do it, lets see you shred some Yngwie...........

Oh, wait, you probably can't......

Much like your self, I prefer Govan over Malmsteen. I don't even listen to Malmsteen much at all. Not my thing.

But I don't think for one second that Yngwie puts any less heart and soul into his music than Govan.

Their styles are completely different.

You can put your all into the music weather its fast or slow. BPM has nothing to do with soul.

Last edited by Culler Amps : 11-11-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

I should rephrase that to could, but my point still stands

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
Old 11-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
I should rephrase that to could, but my point still stands

No actually, it really doesn't. You're arguing something entirely subjective as if it was an objective, measurable thing. Musical connection or 'soul' as you put it, is entirely in the ear of the listener. It may surprise you to know that Guthrie Govan has a lot of respect for Malmsteen because he thinks Malmsteen plays with more authenticity than most of the other people who have followed in his footsteps.

I would also suggest that if you think anyone can play like Malmsteen you take a few minutes to look around for someone who can, I for one cannot think of a single person who does what Yngwie does in the same way.

Also his vibrato and tone are amazing.

Now that I've said my piece... don't get in to this any more. There's nothing to be had down this road but flame wars and other such bullshit. Everyone please leave it alone.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
Theres no soul to his playing. Shredders like guthrie govan are better, because theyre versatile and you can really feel the emotion in their music. Yngwie is just "how many notes can i fit in this bar" then "ill put a harmonized dual guitar solo here"

This is a really poor example and a bad defense to stand behind because the "no soul in their playing" routine can be applied to anyone.

I'm not a particular fan of Yngwie, but to be blunt, just because a song doesn't evoke certain feelings in you has nothing to do with the artist; it has to do with you. For example, I listen to a lot of 'shredders' like Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, getting more into Guthrie Govan, Jason Becker, and some Satch. They have some beautifully written songs; they also have a lot of songs that sound like a cacophony. But some of the songs I like by any of those players sound like a mess to other people I know who listen to them, and that flips the other way around to me as well. It depends on the receiving ear.

Also, to say that "anyone can sound like Malmsteen, but only Vai sounds like Vai" is also a rather stupid remark to make, because it's simply not true. I sure as hell can't sound like Malmsteen. How about you? Care to back that up with a personal example of you playing any of his material exactly the way he does? Because I can guarantee it isn't going to sound like him.

Edit: ^Damnit Zaph, you beat me to it while I was typing

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness

Last edited by TheUltimateSin : 11-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
francesco18
galloping E|-0-0-0-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swannie
I am primarily a blues guitarist, and he's not one of my favorites, but I think he does have a lot of soul, at least live. He's not up there bending notes and doing blues solos, but he seems to really love what he does and he has a passion in his playing I respect. He seems insufferable to be around though.

I utterly dislike Malmsteen's music but c'mon his string bending and vibrato skills are terrific.

Michael Gira in a nutshell
francesco18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: