Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #21
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
of course anchoring is necessary.

how else are you going to prevent your seaworthy vessels from crashing into icebergs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #22
kaes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesyrup
Think the point he's trying to make is there's more to music than playing like Marty Friedman or John Petrucci. But your own interests are your own interests, so yeah. All good. I'd say anchoring "works" for the good majority of people who do it, including my self before I stopped. Doesn't stop it from being an unnecessary source of tension. It's all about creating possibilities.

I just think its one of those things that gets over scrutinized. I don't feel I'm any more capable when I let my hand float, if the lick feels better anchored, than that's what ill do. I'm not sure what you mean by tention, I know when I do it my pinky just kinda sits there and moves slightly with my hand if I'm moving up or down the strings, I hope were talking about the same thing haha. I'd be more worried if OP was trying to play argeggios with his ass.

Oh wait...!!

Last edited by kaes : 11-15-2012 at 07:31 AM.
kaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaes
I just think its one of those things that gets over scrutinized. I don't feel I'm any more capable when I let my hand float, if the lick feels better anchored, than that's what ill do. I'm not sure what you mean by tention, I know when I do it my pinky just kinda sits there and moves slightly with my hand if I'm moving up or down the strings, I hope were talking about the same thing haha. I'd be more worried if OP was trying to play argeggios with his ass.

While I do agree that anchoring can be way over-examined, I would also say that telling people just to do what they like can lead to technique that is very definitely bad. Like Marty Friedman for example; I love the man's playing, he's a complete genius... but his picking hand is an abomination, there's no doubt about that at all.

It all comes down to what can and cannot be done: I have heard and seen people play Marty's solos all over the place but I have never, never seen Marty go crazy with alternate picking. Marty is limited where his imitators, even if they aren't as creative, are not.

FYI: Tension is exactly what it says: tense muscles. You shouldn't be feeling any more tension than you need to simply move your hand/fingers when playing guitar, anything more than the basic level needed for those actions is too much and a waste of energy. Also in bad cases you get tension in two competing sets of muscles so they're pulling against each other, this leads to a complete lack of control and in particularly bad cases can potentially lead to injury, although it's not actually very common from what I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: