User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
daverichards
loves his fenders

Fender Custom Shop Strat

hi all,

i've never really been a strat type of guy but i laid my hands on a mint second hand faded white custom shop strat (SSS) on a visit to denmark street this week,

it felt like a 60s neck with the standard trem.. the difference was that it had just a 3way selector, i actually liked the 3 way switch on it..

they didn't really have much info on the guitar other than it has the custom shop sticker on back of the head stock.. it did feel lovely and sounded brilliant

can't remember the serial exactly but almost definitely less than 10 yrs old,

has anyone else come across a CS strat with 3 way switching? i was struggling to gauge how much was too much for it?
daverichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
dr_john
yer blues

In this case I think less is not more. The tones in the intermediate 2 and 5 positions are the best IMO.

I wouldn't buy a strat with a 3 way switch unless I was prepared to mod it to 5 way.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Axe Murderer

Was it a CS build of a classic guitar? Im guessing so with the 3 way selector. Probably 2.5 to 3ish K for it is my guess.
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
gman128

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_john
In this case I think less is not more. The tones in the intermediate 2 and 5 positions are the best IMO.

I wouldn't buy a strat with a 3 way switch unless I was prepared to mod it to 5 way.

you meant 2 and 4. and I agree - the 2 position on a strat sounds so nice for cleans.
gman128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

The guitar has a sticker on the back of the headstock indicating it's a custom shop model? If it's really a sticker, that would make me a little leery. My custom shop Strat has a custom shop insignia on the headstock, but it's not a sticker. The plate, where the neck bolts on to the body, also indicates it's a custom shop model.

There's a lot of counterfeiting these days, so be sure it's the real thing, if you intend to buy it.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
dr_john
yer blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman128
you meant 2 and 4. and I agree - the 2 position on a strat sounds so nice for cleans.

yes, you are correct sir, quite right!

i really shouldn't post late at night when i've just come home from the pub
Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
dr_john
yer blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
The guitar has a sticker on the back of the headstock indicating it's a custom shop model? If it's really a sticker, that would make me a little leery. My custom shop Strat has a custom shop insignia on the headstock, but it's not a sticker. The plate, where the neck bolts on to the body, also indicates it's a custom shop model.

There's a lot of counterfeiting these days, so be sure it's the real thing, if you intend to buy it.

yes i was concerned about that as well, the custom shop logo on the back of the headstock should not be a sticker.

as for the neck plate, some CS's have the logo on but a lot dont.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
ProgFolk12

A lot of the CS strats have a 3 way switch, depends on whether they're period correct and the year of strat they're modeled after IIRC. It's a comparatively easy mod to make that a 5 way, though a lot of people with 3 ways say they can get pretty close to positions 2 and 4 with the tone and volume controls. However, as stated, a CS Fender has a lot more than just a sticker to differentiate it, so be careful.
ProgFolk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
daverichards
loves his fenders

yeh i can't recall seeing the neck plate being CS, i found the quote on back of their business/phone number card, they had it up for 1300, but they were prepared to do it for 1000, would also consider taking one of my usa std tele's for 450-500 (condition).

i'm more clued up on tele's and from my experience CS tele's are alot more than that!

i'm a bit disappointed, it's the first time i've had chance to browse 'denmark street' since moving to london and i expected something more then you get in all of the other chains across the country..
Old 11-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
dr_john
yer blues

Yeah, i was disappointed in Denmark st last time I was there.

I got my CS deluxe at Guitar Village in Farnham, Surrey last year. They have a great stock of CS strats and they did me a good part exchange deal on my old strat. Check out their website. I'm not advertising, just giving my experience (honest guv)!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
daverichards
loves his fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_john
Yeah, i was disappointed in Denmark st last time I was there.

I got my CS deluxe at Guitar Village in Farnham, Surrey last year. They have a great stock of CS strats and they did me a good part exchange deal on my old strat. Check out their website. I'm not advertising, just giving my experience (honest guv)!

thanks for the heads up, i live in epsom at the minute so will definitely check it out
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
monwobobbo

3 way switch indicates it has vintage specs as does the 6 screw trem. a sticker on the back hmm.... i'd be suspicious of that. pix would help but i really gotta wonder if it's legit.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Bonsaischaap
Intriguingly opinionated

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverichards
thanks for the heads up, i live in epsom at the minute so will definitely check it out

Another good store to visit in the greater London area is Peach Guitars (http://www.peachguitars.com), although it's quite a drive from Epsom they do have a great stock of high-end guitars (also, they're nice people).
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

I've never heard of a Custom Shop guitar being denoted by a sticker. They will always have a decal under the finish, either on the front or read of the headstock, or occasionally on the heel of the neck.

Anyhoo, London is the worst place to look at, buy or sell high-end guitars. You'll get less for guitars you sell and you'll be paying more for anything you buy. If you look elsewhere around the country you can often get the same thing for 2/3rds the price, which is usually enough of a saving that it'll more than cover the cost of any petrol or train fare.

Don't buy or sell guitar stuff in London, it's never the best deal.

Rate This Thread: