Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
switchfooter

Squier tele custom

Hi

Last time I was at guitar center I tried a Fender tele custom with p90's and fell in love with it. The only part that turns me away is the price. as a high schooler $700 is quite steep, especially while saving for a car. But anyways I was wondering if the Squire tele custom would even be half as good because its only half the price.

Thanks
switchfooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Ippon
Amped

The Squier Tele Custom II should be close enough, specially if you have a decent amp.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

The Squier Telecaster Custom II is the one with P90's, I've got its humbucker brother (humbrother?) and I'm pretty happy with it for a beginner guitar. They can be found $150 or less used, too, so you can get a nice amp; I'd suggest a Vypyr 30 or something along those lines, around $100 used. $250 for a starter combo that'll last you a good, long while.

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
daverichards
loves his fenders

had a squier tele custom ii (p90) for a couple years a while back, loved the guitar!
it was on par with mexi tele's easily, the pick ups were pretty good, definitely warmer than standard tele's.

only issue i had was the pots were a bit cheap (can't expect too much), so had to give them a bit of tweaking to get rid of the crackle-ness
daverichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Mazz-
100% METAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchfooter
Hi

Last time I was at guitar center I tried a Fender tele custom with p90's and fell in love with it. The only part that turns me away is the price. as a high schooler $700 is quite steep, especially while saving for a car. But anyways I was wondering if the Squire tele custom would even be half as good because its only half the price.

Thanks

Yeah man, Squier's aren't bad...they're less expensive mainly because they're made/built in Indonesia right now, but that changed over the years, I'm 27 years-old, I've played guitar since I was 2 years-old (1987)...I had one of the first batch of Squier's, they were made in Mexico, then Japan, then Korea & now they're in Indonesia...but that's not completely a bad thing, parts like Pots (Potentiometers), Pickups, Switches, etc... are cheaper & aren't as good, but hell, higher quality parts like that cost a lot less & in this case I think the Soap Bar P90's they have in these are Duncan Design (not to be confused with Seymour Duncan's which are REALLY expensive pickups, but are, in many cases, worth it...)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010)

Last edited by Mazz- : 11-12-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Mazz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
HeartString

I have two and had a fret dress done with both and he set them up for lead and they have very low action and play like butter! 1 is the vintage seashore gold the other is candy apple red. 350.00 and 199.00 respectively. The fret dress is a must though imho. 90.00 for that service at our GC.

Last edited by HeartString : 11-13-2012 at 12:44 AM.
HeartString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
gpme332

Just tried a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster with P90's at Sam Ash the other day. I was truly impressed with it's ease of play, sound and overall quality. I looked at the price and was stunned it was only $299.

Gonna keep my eye on those and buy one if possible. If the Tele is anything like the Jazzmaster I don't think you can go wrong.
gpme332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: