Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

The Fiscal Cliff: What Do We Do, Bros?

So, as I'm sure we all know by now, the US is approaching a pretty big issue. Between Bush-Obama tax cuts expiring and huge spending cuts from the debt ceiling crisis taking effect, we are fast approaching a "fiscal cliff". In more detail (from Wiki), the following policies are set to take effect on January 1, 2013:
  • Expiration of the Obama tax cuts provided for in the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
  • Across-the-board spending cuts ("sequestration") to most discretionary programs as directed by the Budget Control Act of 2011
  • Reversion of the Alternative Minimum Tax thresholds to their 2000 tax year levels
  • Expiration of measures delaying the Medicare Sustainable Growth Rate from going into effect (the "doc fix"), most recently extended by the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012 (MCTRJCA)
  • Expiration of the 2% Social Security payroll tax cut, most recently extended by MCTRJCA
  • Expiration of federal unemployment benefits, most recently extended by MCTRJCA
  • New taxes imposed by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.

So do we compromise? And if so, how exactly? Not raising tax rates but closing deductions and loopholes? Negotiating on cutting less? Or do we maintain gridlock and go off the cliff? Would we be better or worse in the long run?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Diamond Dave

but what does it all meeean Basil?

EDIT: all good, now updated

gl hf

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12

Last edited by Diamond Dave : 11-12-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Diamond Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon

Mr. President I don't like what I'm seeing. Shall I turn it off?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Thecla
Aerodynamic

Apart from people having to pay more taxes (which no one likes but don't americans pay low taxes anyway comparing to the rest of the world?) why is this such a bad thing?

It's an honest question, I don't really understand whats happening and I'm curious

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Thecla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecla
Apart from people having to pay more taxes (which no one likes but don't americans pay low taxes anyway comparing to the rest of the world?) why is this such a bad thing?

It's an honest question, I don't really understand whats happening and I'm curious

well the tax breaks were in place to help pull the economy out of recession. If they start reintroducing the higher tax rates now, the worry is that the economy isn't strong enough to withstand it yet (e.g. more stuff like this happens) and could plunge right back down again.

EDIT: but the problem is the governments hand is being forced by the national debt situation.

roughly... I've just tried to catch up with a bit of googling in the last 10 minutes

Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12

Last edited by Diamond Dave : 11-12-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
metacarpi
Too old for this ****

Bros?

Bros.

Watching: Futurama
Listening: Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
Playing: Watch_Dogs
metacarpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
primusfan

Quote:

They're basically projecting that it will cause another recession as it will put more pressure on the private sector with the tax increases while simultaneously cutting government's ability to create jobs via spending cuts. CBO projects the unemployment rate will go back to 9.1%.

If we were to keep everything as is we would eventually reach another fiscal crisis where our debt becomes so exorbitant that we would no longer be able to borrow money at reasonable interest rates and would likewise be screwed.

So they want to compromise by cutting spending and extending the tax cuts while closing loopholes and deductions (so that people in the highest bracket pay a higher effective rate, closer to or at the 35%).

Part of me says **** it though. Let's go off the cliff. We might go into recession, but it might be the best option long term. But I'm not really decided either way.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
ErikLensherr
Banned

Compromise with House Republicans essentially means adopting their positions. Let them "compromise" with us for once. Or let's just go off the cliff.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Tax the rich to pay for tax cuts for everyone else.
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
StillSublime
now comes in superdank!

Quote:

I mean yeah, if you want your government to steal your money and give it to lazy fucks on welfare, be my guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
StillSublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillSublime
I mean yeah, if you want your government to steal your money and give it to lazy fucks on welfare, be my guest.

because that's all governments do with tax money

Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
L2112Lif
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
well the tax breaks were in place to help pull the economy out of recession. If they start reintroducing the higher tax rates now, the worry is that the economy isn't strong enough to withstand it yet and could plunge right back down again.

EDIT: but the problem is the governments hand is being forced by the national debt situation.

roughly... I've just tried to catch up with a bit of googling in the last 10 minutes

Yeah, except for the Bush Era tax cuts, those bastards...

It is a little bit scary, but elections are out of the way until congressional elections in 2014, so... Not... Super... Worried?

Facebook: www.facebook.com/NSattelites

Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/l2112lif

Bandcamp: tfmonkey.bandcamp.com/
L2112Lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2112Lif
Yeah, except for the Bush Era tax cuts, those bastards...

It is a little bit scary, but elections are out of the way until congressional elections in 2014, so... Not... Super... Worried?

oh ok, well like I said I'm a recent follower of the situation

thanks for the extra info.

Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
brownshirt1

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
brownshirt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Thecla
Aerodynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
They're basically projecting that it will cause another recession as it will put more pressure on the private sector with the tax increases while simultaneously cutting government's ability to create jobs via spending cuts. CBO projects the unemployment rate will go back to 9.1%.

If we were to keep everything as is we would eventually reach another fiscal crisis where our debt becomes so exorbitant that we would no longer be able to borrow money at reasonable interest rates and would likewise be screwed.

So they want to compromise by cutting spending and extending the tax cuts while closing loopholes and deductions (so that people in the highest bracket pay a higher effective rate, closer to or at the 35%).

Part of me says **** it though. Let's go off the cliff. We might go into recession, but it might be the best option long term. But I'm not really decided either way.

What is so good in having another recession? If you would go off the cliff and a recession follows somewhere along the line there have to be measures taken to get out of it again. Why not take measures before a recession happens?

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Thecla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #16
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
Tax the rich to pay for tax cuts for everyone else.

What a GREAT idea, I'm amazed no one has thought of this before...

Too bad there aren't enough rich folks to tax...so in order for your plan to work, we'll need more rich folks.

Any thoughts on where we might get them?

On topic, count me on the side of the cliff divers...I'd rather have some economic pain now instead of economic collapse due to unsustainable borrowing and spending in the future.

Last edited by Arby911 : 11-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:

Well aren't you a good little Christian angel.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
What a GREAT idea, I'm amazed no one has thought of this before...

Too bad there aren't enough rich folks to tax...so in order for your plan to work, we'll need more rich folks.

Any thoughts on where we might get them?

Wh...what?

What?

What?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
primusfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Compromise with House Republicans essentially means adopting their positions. Let them "compromise" with us for once. Or let's just go off the cliff.

Well yeah, but you have to take into account that their whole reason for being obstructionist was to get rid of Obama. And he won in a landslide, liberals got more seats in the Senate and in House races, Democrats won the national popular vote (when added together) and if not for GOP redistricting in several states, might have taken the House quite possibly. Or at least closed in on them.

Basically, things aren't looking good for Republicans and they know at this point if something bad happens, they'll be blamed for it. So he came out saying they would not support any tax increases. But he said we need additional revenue. Code for "we need more tax money." So basically they're saying we can make the effective rate higher by closing loopholes and deductions.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
metacarpi
Too old for this ****

Quote:

Or, you know, provide important services for those less well off

Watching: Futurama
Listening: Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
Playing: Watch_Dogs
metacarpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: