Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
US Energy Independence?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest...roducer-by-2017

Not convinced, but if true how does it affect the balance of power worldwide?

Seems the Middle East will lose a lot of stroke...
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
 
JimmyBanks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Convinced, my environmental policy professor has been discussing this all semester.

If scientists can crack shale-oil properly, its completely possible.

Middle East and Canada will not lose a lot of smoke, and oil prices will continue to increase, if analysts are correct, as asian oil use skyrockets. What could alter that though, is China has vast deposits of shale-oil.
__________________
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!


wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO

Last edited by JimmyBanks6 : 11-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
ErikLensherr
:shekels:
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Lol if they lose their Western patronage the Saudi royal family is ****ed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
No joke that's how I feel

edit: unless that's a gay thing
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member
 
Bushinarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Christian Science huh?
__________________
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.


# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Bushinarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
 
JimmyBanks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushinarin
Christian Science huh?

Better source

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/...oil-report.html
__________________
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!


wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Sweet.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushinarin
Christian Science huh?


Yes, is that important to you?
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Jackal58
Pit Daddy
 
Jackal58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: If I was up your ass you'd know it.
Dunno why people think we get all of our oil from the middle east. Most of our oil imports come from Mexico and Venezuela. The middle east could disappear today and the US wouldn't even blink. Our interest in keeping oil flowing out of the middle east has more to do with keeping Europe and Japan economically stable. That's not changing anytime soon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jackal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal58
Dunno why people think we get all of our oil from the middle east. Most of our oil imports come from Mexico and Venezuela. The middle east could disappear today and the US wouldn't even blink. Our interest in keeping oil flowing out of the middle east has more to do with keeping Europe and Japan economically stable. That's not changing anytime soon.


Canada actually...
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member
 
Bushinarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal58
Dunno why people think we get all of our oil from the middle east. Most of our oil imports come from Mexico and Venezuela. The middle east could disappear today and the US wouldn't even blink. Our interest in keeping oil flowing out of the middle east has more to do with keeping Europe and Japan economically stable. That's not changing anytime soon.


China imports Middle Eastern oil, which they use in the manufacture of plastics, which we import a lot of.

So we do consume Middle Eastern oil, just through a middleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Yes, is that important to you?


Seems a little silly, honestly.
__________________
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.


# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Bushinarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
ErikLensherr
:shekels:
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal58
Dunno why people think we get all of our oil from the middle east. Most of our oil imports come from Mexico and Venezuela. The middle east could disappear today and the US wouldn't even blink. Our interest in keeping oil flowing out of the middle east has more to do with keeping Europe and Japan economically stable. That's not changing anytime soon.

Any disruption in the oil market affects the entire oil market, so our prices regardless of where we buy from would still skyrocket.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
No joke that's how I feel

edit: unless that's a gay thing
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
metalblaster
UG Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
Convinced, my environmental policy professor has been discussing this all semester.

If scientists can crack shale-oil properly, its completely possible.

Middle East and Canada will not lose a lot of smoke, and oil prices will continue to increase, if analysts are correct, as asian oil use skyrockets. What could alter that though, is China has vast deposits of shale-oil.

If Canada could put some more action into drilling in the arctic, we could actually access the world's largest reserves of natural gas while still drilling on our 2nd or 3rd largest global oil reserves. We won't run dry anytime soon, that's for ****ing sure. But we could last 10 times longer than we'd ever imagine if we put more serious thought into our jackpot up north.


All I keep hearing is we have a shit ton of oil and gas up north, like wayyy up north, yet it's like we just don't care about it. Meanwhile, Russia is sneaking in left right and center trying to suck us dry.
metalblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
garden of grey
RIP David Gold
 
garden of grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal58
Dunno why people think we get all of our oil from the middle east. Most of our oil imports come from Mexico and Venezuela. The middle east could disappear today and the US wouldn't even blink. Our interest in keeping oil flowing out of the middle east has more to do with keeping Europe and Japan economically stable. That's not changing anytime soon.


Although we get little from OPEC, all the OPEC buyers would move into our market, causing the price to go way the **** up.
__________________
King of rustlers, psuedointellectuals, trolls, and/or drug addicts.
garden of grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
 
JimmyBanks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalblaster
If Canada could put some more action into drilling in the arctic, we could actually access the world's largest reserves of natural gas while still drilling on our 2nd or 3rd largest global oil reserves. We won't run dry anytime soon, that's for ****ing sure. But we could last 10 times longer than we'd ever imagine if we put more serious thought into our jackpot up north.


All I keep hearing is we have a shit ton of oil and gas up north, like wayyy up north, yet it's like we just don't care about it. Meanwhile, Russia is sneaking in left right and center trying to suck us dry.

My opinion is artic oil drilling should be halted and stopped permanently until we can address how to clean up an oil spill in 4 degree water with icebergs and 6 months of darkness. We can't even manage in the most ideal water-area oil spill place there is (gulf of mexico).
__________________
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!


wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
My opinion is artic oil drilling should be halted and stopped permanently until we can address how to clean up an oil spill in 4 degree water with icebergs and 6 months of darkness. We can't even manage in the most ideal water-area oil spill place there is (gulf of mexico).


Yeah, because drilling in the North Sea doesn't exist.

Just what we need, another know-nothing 'expert' with an opinion informed by ignorance.
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
 
JimmyBanks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Yeah, because drilling in the North Sea doesn't exist.

Just what we need, another know-nothing 'expert' with an opinion informed by ignorance.

Reading comprehension fail. It does exist, that is why I included the word "halt". Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/halt?s=t

I have a good feeling I am far more educated on this matter than you are, and you didn't propose any solutions to the 3 issues I brought up.

/edit/ also I wasnt talking about the North Sea, I was talking about the Arctic.
__________________
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!


wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO

Last edited by JimmyBanks6 : 11-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
Reading comprehension fail. It does exist, that is why I included the word "halt". Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/halt?s=t

I have a good feeling I am far more educated on this matter than you are, and you didn't propose any solutions to the 3 issues I brought up.


Oooooh, an internet expert.....

I don't have a clue as to your education in regard to this issue or any other, but that just might be a bet you would lose.

The North Sea regulations are dramatically more stringent, both in regard to hardware and employee competence, than those in place in the GOM, even with the new SEMS and the upcoming SEMS 2 in place in the US GOM.

Had the US used the North Sea regulations, the Macondo incident would never have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
/edit/ also I wasnt talking about the North Sea, I was talking about the Arctic.


The conditions in the North Sea are a close analog to Arctic offshore Drilling, don't act stupider than you must.
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.

Last edited by Arby911 : 11-12-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
 
primusfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LOLville, KY
hey arby, do you always have to be an asshole?
__________________
#DTWD
primusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member
 
Bushinarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Oooooh, an internet expert.....

I don't have a clue as to your education in regard to this issue or any other, but that just might be a bet you would lose.

The North Sea regulations are dramatically more stringent, both in regard to hardware and employee competence, than those in place in the GOM, even with the new SEMS and the upcoming SEMS 2 in place in the US GOM.

Had the US used the North Sea regulations, the Macondo incident would never have happened.

The conditions in the North Sea are a close analog to Arctic offshore Drilling, don't act stupider than you must.



A Christian internet expert.
__________________
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.


# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Bushinarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalblaster
If Canada could put some more action into drilling in the arctic, we could actually access the world's largest reserves of natural gas while still drilling on our 2nd or 3rd largest global oil reserves. We won't run dry anytime soon, that's for ****ing sure. But we could last 10 times longer than we'd ever imagine if we put more serious thought into our jackpot up north.

If we (as in, the USA) started drilling in ANWR, then the US would probably greatly decrease its dependency on foreign oil. So, screw Canada taking over the Arctic.

For the record, drilling in the Arctic is a hot issue. Canada doesn't own the Arctic; no one really does. If they started drilling there without first establishing an international treaty, then there'd be in all kinds of shit. Is it stupid? Yes. But it's also reality.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
Reading comprehension fail. It does exist, that is why I included the word "halt". Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/halt?s=t

I have a good feeling I am far more educated on this matter than you are, and you didn't propose any solutions to the 3 issues I brought up.

/edit/ also I wasnt talking about the North Sea, I was talking about the Arctic.

So, are you a Petroleum Engineer? If not, stfu with that damn attitude. How exactly can you (knowing nothing about what Arby does or doesn't know on this issue) judge whether you know more about it? The pure arrogance of some posts...
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 11-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.