User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

US Energy Independence?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest...roducer-by-2017

Not convinced, but if true how does it affect the balance of power worldwide?

Seems the Middle East will lose a lot of stroke...
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat

Convinced, my environmental policy professor has been discussing this all semester.

If scientists can crack shale-oil properly, its completely possible.

Middle East and Canada will not lose a lot of smoke, and oil prices will continue to increase, if analysts are correct, as asian oil use skyrockets. What could alter that though, is China has vast deposits of shale-oil.

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO

Last edited by JimmyBanks6 : 11-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
ErikLensherr
:shekels:

Lol if they lose their Western patronage the Saudi royal family is ****ed.

edit: unless that's a gay thing
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member

Christian Science huh?

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Bushinarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushinarin
Christian Science huh?

Better source

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/...oil-report.html

Quote:

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:

GO SENS GO
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Sweet.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushinarin
Christian Science huh?

Yes, is that important to you?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Jackal58
Pit Daddy

Dunno why people think we get all of our oil from the middle east. Most of our oil imports come from Mexico and Venezuela. The middle east could disappear today and the US wouldn't even blink. Our interest in keeping oil flowing out of the middle east has more to do with keeping Europe and Japan economically stable. That's not changing anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jackal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal58
Dunno why people think we get all of our oil from the middle east. Most of our oil imports come from Mexico and Venezuela. The middle east could disappear today and the US wouldn't even blink. Our interest in keeping oil flowing out of the middle east has more to do with keeping Europe and Japan economically stable. That's not changing anytime soon.

Canada actually...
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member

Quote:

China imports Middle Eastern oil, which they use in the manufacture of plastics, which we import a lot of.

So we do consume Middle Eastern oil, just through a middleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Yes, is that important to you?

Seems a little silly, honestly.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
ErikLensherr
:shekels:

Quote:

Any disruption in the oil market affects the entire oil market, so our prices regardless of where we buy from would still skyrocket.

edit: unless that's a gay thing
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
metalblaster
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBanks6
Convinced, my environmental policy professor has been discussing this all semester.

If scientists can crack shale-oil properly, its completely possible.

Middle East and Canada will not lose a lot of smoke, and oil prices will continue to increase, if analysts are correct, as asian oil use skyrockets. What could alter that though, is China has vast deposits of shale-oil.

If Canada could put some more action into drilling in the arctic, we could actually access the world's largest reserves of natural gas while still drilling on our 2nd or 3rd largest global oil reserves. We won't run dry anytime soon, that's for ****ing sure. But we could last 10 times longer than we'd ever imagine if we put more serious thought into our jackpot up north.

All I keep hearing is we have a shit ton of oil and gas up north, like wayyy up north, yet it's like we just don't care about it. Meanwhile, Russia is sneaking in left right and center trying to suck us dry.
metalblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
garden of grey
RIP David Gold

Quote:

Although we get little from OPEC, all the OPEC buyers would move into our market, causing the price to go way the **** up.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalblaster
If Canada could put some more action into drilling in the arctic, we could actually access the world's largest reserves of natural gas while still drilling on our 2nd or 3rd largest global oil reserves. We won't run dry anytime soon, that's for ****ing sure. But we could last 10 times longer than we'd ever imagine if we put more serious thought into our jackpot up north.

All I keep hearing is we have a shit ton of oil and gas up north, like wayyy up north, yet it's like we just don't care about it. Meanwhile, Russia is sneaking in left right and center trying to suck us dry.

My opinion is artic oil drilling should be halted and stopped permanently until we can address how to clean up an oil spill in 4 degree water with icebergs and 6 months of darkness. We can't even manage in the most ideal water-area oil spill place there is (gulf of mexico).

Quote:

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:

GO SENS GO
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
My opinion is artic oil drilling should be halted and stopped permanently until we can address how to clean up an oil spill in 4 degree water with icebergs and 6 months of darkness. We can't even manage in the most ideal water-area oil spill place there is (gulf of mexico).

Yeah, because drilling in the North Sea doesn't exist.

Just what we need, another know-nothing 'expert' with an opinion informed by ignorance.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat

Quote:
Yeah, because drilling in the North Sea doesn't exist.

Just what we need, another know-nothing 'expert' with an opinion informed by ignorance.

Reading comprehension fail. It does exist, that is why I included the word "halt". Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/halt?s=t

I have a good feeling I am far more educated on this matter than you are, and you didn't propose any solutions to the 3 issues I brought up.

/edit/ also I wasnt talking about the North Sea, I was talking about the Arctic.

Quote:

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:

GO SENS GO

Last edited by JimmyBanks6 : 11-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Reading comprehension fail. It does exist, that is why I included the word "halt". Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/halt?s=t

I have a good feeling I am far more educated on this matter than you are, and you didn't propose any solutions to the 3 issues I brought up.

Oooooh, an internet expert.....

I don't have a clue as to your education in regard to this issue or any other, but that just might be a bet you would lose.

The North Sea regulations are dramatically more stringent, both in regard to hardware and employee competence, than those in place in the GOM, even with the new SEMS and the upcoming SEMS 2 in place in the US GOM.

Had the US used the North Sea regulations, the Macondo incident would never have happened.

Quote:
/edit/ also I wasnt talking about the North Sea, I was talking about the Arctic.

The conditions in the North Sea are a close analog to Arctic offshore Drilling, don't act stupider than you must.

Last edited by Arby911 : 11-12-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

hey arby, do you always have to be an asshole?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Oooooh, an internet expert.....

I don't have a clue as to your education in regard to this issue or any other, but that just might be a bet you would lose.

The North Sea regulations are dramatically more stringent, both in regard to hardware and employee competence, than those in place in the GOM, even with the new SEMS and the upcoming SEMS 2 in place in the US GOM.

Had the US used the North Sea regulations, the Macondo incident would never have happened.

The conditions in the North Sea are a close analog to Arctic offshore Drilling, don't act stupider than you must.

A Christian internet expert.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalblaster

If we (as in, the USA) started drilling in ANWR, then the US would probably greatly decrease its dependency on foreign oil. So, screw Canada taking over the Arctic.

For the record, drilling in the Arctic is a hot issue. Canada doesn't own the Arctic; no one really does. If they started drilling there without first establishing an international treaty, then there'd be in all kinds of shit. Is it stupid? Yes. But it's also reality.

Edit:
Quote:

So, are you a Petroleum Engineer? If not, stfu with that damn attitude. How exactly can you (knowing nothing about what Arby does or doesn't know on this issue) judge whether you know more about it? The pure arrogance of some posts...

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 11-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: