Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
LPshin

What PUPS for a jackson RR5

Hi guys, I have recently purchased a jackson RR5, but the previous owner replaced the stock pups with some no namers which sound like dog anus... I would like to replace them, The guitar has an alder body with maple neck. I am looking for a fairly versatile pickup, with a good clean sound from the neck pickup when required. I will be using this guitar for metal so a high output pickup with good cleans will suit me. I do not want EMG's or actives as I do not like actives, Also, Bareknuckle and other pickups that are not so common in New Zealand are not an option. Preferably Dimarzio or seymour duncans
Which ones do you suggest?
Cheers
LPshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

I've always wanted to try out a Duncan SH-6 Distortion in the bridge and an SH-1 '59 or SH-2 Jazz in the neck. For great cleans on the neck and great metal on the bridge in theory.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
LPshin

I was thinking dimarzio super distortion for the bridge, Not sure on the neck, a good clean tone but also good for leads and rhythm tones, so versatility is what i look for really.
LPshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
woad_yurt

Pls. disregard. Posted in error.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Well I know it's not exactly the same guitar but it's very very close... Anyway, my RR3 as stock had Seymour Duncan TB4 in the bridge and a SH2N in the neck. Very nice sounding pair those, did a variety of styles very nicely. Great clean sound, and really warm at the neck and of course they were great for metal too. Using the bridge pup you could get some great shred tones from it and switching to the neck pup for a bit of sweeping gave a really nice creamy feel to the sound. They're good pickups and work well with the woods used in the RR series, So perhaps look at a set of them.

EDIT: The only drawback to these is they can be quite noisy, which is the reason I changed them out but if you use a good noise gate/reduction you can get around that issue.

Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 : 11-18-2012 at 08:56 AM.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: