Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Karan_

Need $1000 Guitar

Hello there, I've been saving up money so I can finally afford a decent guitar, but the choice is beyond me. After watching some reviews I like the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser the most, but I don't think it would actually suit me.

Budget? - As stated in the title, I plan to spend about a grand on the guitar. The budget is not set in stone but I believe I should be able to get a decent one for this price.

Favorite Artists? - I'll just link some songs. I have no idea about effects, even if I had all the equipment in the world it'd take me an eternity to figure out how to sound like this. I want to achieve a sound that is somewhere between metal and hard rock.
Song 1
Song 2

Preferences? - The only band I somewhat prefer is Schecter, but I'm not biased against anything either. I want the neck to be as narrow as possible, my hands are the size of a little girls even though I'm a fully grown male.

Pickups? - I like the sound of quality Humbuckers and EMGs.

New or Used? - I have nothing against used goods, I bought my current partner for a fifth of the retail price and she was as good as new. The selection in my country is not too wide though.

Location? - Switzerland, the biggest guitar shop I could personally visit is Musik Produktiv or I could order something from Thomann (both sites are in German)

Current Gear?
AMP: Line6 Spider IV 75-112
Guitars: Schecter PT Fastback and a Fender Squier
Effects: I was gifted about ~8 Pedals I never use, most of them are boss, one is Dunlop Wah and I don't even remember the rest.

Hopefully you can give me some useful advices, thanks in advance.
Karan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
lemurflames
Ronnie

I hate to be that guy... But what you need is a $1000 amp.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I hate to be that guy... But what you need is a $1000 amp.

Yeah I am not anti-Spider (I have one) but I wouldn't spend $1000 on a guitar to play through it.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
solidrane
Wekk Blka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
amp.

The truth

If the guitars you currently play feel good physically (neck profile, weight, shape, overall look) Get an amp, better improvement overall then getting a $1000 and bottlenecking its capabilities with a line 6.

tl;dr improve tone by getting a new amp, If you don't like the feel of the guitar you play... get a new guitar.

That response might be a bit sloppy, me just tired as all hell
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

^^ An opinion. You can play aguitar without an amp but the reverse isn't true. IF you want a nicer guitar then get one, then use it to audition amps when you can afford to upgrade.
In other words by an amp based on your guitar preference, don't buy a guitar based on your amp preference.
Gibson CS 2010 R7 Re-Isssue Gold Top
PRS 2013 SE 245 in Tobacco Burst
POD HD500
VOX Valvetronix VT30
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Axe Murderer

I have a pristine ESP Eclipse for sale for less than 1k if interested. Check classified for a sale thread.
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
samuraigoomba

I was gonna breeze in here and gripe about people suggesting amps... Until I saw what he was playing out of. A thousand-dollar guitar through a line 6 amp probably won't sound much better than your old guitars.

You could even split the difference, go used and grab a $500 guitar and $500 amp. You could probably get a guitar that was worth 1,000 when it was new.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i agree with the others, you'd be better off with a better amp at this point.

i lul'd at this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_
I bought my current partner for a fifth of the retail price and she was as good as new. The selection in my country is not too wide though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
lemurflames
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
i agree with the others, you'd be better off with a better amp at this point.

i lul'd at this.

I did too...
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Karan_

Thanks for the feedback, I was originally planning to buy the guitar then a matching amp since I prefer practicing unplugged but it seems like that's a no-go. Could you still recommend me a guitar so that I can choose an amp accordingly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Murderer
I have a pristine ESP Eclipse for sale for less than 1k if interested. Check classified for a sale thread.

This seems like a bargain, but I'm not sure if shipping across the world is a good idea.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
gpme332

The first song you linked sounds Steve Vai/Joe Satriani -ish. The second link reminds me of Coheed and Cambria. I don't know what kind of gear C&C use but I think both Vai and Satriani use Ibanez guitars. Maybe try Ibanez and see how you like them?

As for amps I would suggest that perhaps you find the guitar first and then try out amps until you find the one you like. IMO you would be better served getting an amp that is not a modeling amp as I find that it is hard to get the sounds you really want. They only approach the sound you want.

Lastly, if you are happy with your current guitars then use the money for the amp. That way you get more to spend on a real good amp and maybe a few pedals.
gpme332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Vai and Satch DO indeed favor Ibanez.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #13
samuraigoomba

If you're going to check out Ibanez, you might as well look at Heartfield to see if it's for you. They're essentially MIJ Ibanez guitars with some small differences and a Fender label.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
omidmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
i lul'd at this.

This. A lot of this.

OP: Spend 300-400 on a new guitar (Enter the entry level of guitars, something like an Epiphone Les Paul. I got no clue and I hate Epiphone, but that's just what comes to mind.) and 600-700 on an amp. A 6505 or something.

Ditch the Spyder, shoot at it and make a YouTube video. Throw your Shector away with it while you are it.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
deljaso

It sounds like you want a nice guitar for playability and to round out your collection, not for improved tone -- so do not spend the money on a new amp. It sounds like you are going in the right direction -- you want something with a thin neck and humbuckers (which is good, because it is different than both of the guitars you have now).
People are suggesting amps because you might not be able to tell the difference between a $300 guitar and a $1000 guitar... but if you're not advanced enough to tell that your amp is limiting you, I would argue that you couldn't tell the difference between a line 6 and a more expensive tube amp.
I think you know what you want, and if you want a nice guitar now and a nice amp later, then do that so that 6 months down the road you're not wishing you would have gotten that nice $1000 guitar.

You need to decide what kind of bridge you want, then go to the store and play different brands. Whichever brand/model you like, buy the highest trim of that model with the right bridge and pickups.

If it were me and I had the guitars you have, I would get an Ibanez. The type depends on which body you like -- do you want a light body or a more heavy body? Do you want a certain shape?
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Karan_

I looked up some reviews about Ibanez guitars, and some of them actually sound just like what I'm looking for. I avoided the brand until now because the name of their guitars are confusing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deljaso
It sounds like you want a nice guitar for playability and to round out your collection, not for improved tone -- so do not spend the money on a new amp. It sounds like you are going in the right direction -- you want something with a thin neck and humbuckers (which is good, because it is different than both of the guitars you have now).
People are suggesting amps because you might not be able to tell the difference between a $300 guitar and a $1000 guitar... but if you're not advanced enough to tell that your amp is limiting you, I would argue that you couldn't tell the difference between a line 6 and a more expensive tube amp.
I think you know what you want, and if you want a nice guitar now and a nice amp later, then do that so that 6 months down the road you're not wishing you would have gotten that nice $1000 guitar.

You are right, I love collecting things in general, guitars included. For me a guitar is not simply an instrument but also a piece of art. I could keep looking at my guitar for hours. Of course I am able to tell that I should get a better amp, but I mostly play either through headphones or through my PC. I also play my guitar at other places with professional gear. There's little sense upgrading my amp if I use it like two times a week.

Quote:
You need to decide what kind of bridge you want, then go to the store and play different brands. Whichever brand/model you like, buy the highest trim of that model with the right bridge and pickups.

As for the bridge a string-through would be the best. I don't need a tremolo.

Quote:
If it were me and I had the guitars you have, I would get an Ibanez. The type depends on which body you like -- do you want a light body or a more heavy body? Do you want a certain shape?

I prefer ST models and the lighter the better. As stated in the original post my body is rather petite, I can barely play my Schecter simply because it's weight. It's about as heavy as a Paula.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
PlayTheMetal
Registered Zombie Slayer

Maybe look into the Ibanez S series, they are really thin/light. Satriani has a signature S series with Ibanez as well. I love the RG I just bought, but if you are looking for something light I definately would suggest checking out the S series.
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
PlayTheMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz

Look at the DBZ guitars: fast necks, and some models are outrageously flat- the Royale and Imperial are about as thick as a smartphone at their edges.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #19
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_
I looked up some reviews about Ibanez guitars, and some of them actually sound just like what I'm looking for. I avoided the brand until now because the name of their guitars are confusing me.

What were you confused about? I have an RG, and I have a friend who used an S-series in his band. We both play metal.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #20
BloodDrunk14

I'd say the ESP alexi 200/600 or one of the Schecter synyster models!
BloodDrunk14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: